Hi I'm Dave New Here

PostPost by: DreamBuilderiHope » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:31 pm

Hi Everyone, really great to be here!!!!

It has long been my ambition to own a Lotus Eland Plus 2, but I will never Sadly be able to buy one because of the Lotus engine etc.
SO......... Next best thing......

I am approaching 60 now so i'm planning to build one from scratch using new and original parts, this i will enjoy tracking down parts, and there's no rush. I will give myself 5 years!
I would preferably like a chassis with the car reg, but its not essential as an age related reg could be obtained from DVLA.

I wonder if any one can give me a few pointers?
I'd like to fit a Ford 1600 cc Cross flow Engine, Type 9 gearbox (Is this type of gearbox ok to fit to the Ford 1600cc Overflow engine?). (Will this be ok to fit to a lotus elan plus 2 Diff?) Obviously I will have to find a way to fit the 1600 cc Engine brackets to the chassis etc. Over than that the rest will be original.
Thanks,

Dave. :D
Last edited by DreamBuilderiHope on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreamBuilderiHope
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:18 am

Hi Dave

Welcome and good luck with your project.

Your best off trying to find a basket case Plus 2 body and maybe chassis to rebuild. The cost without engine or gearbox should be reasonable and would form a good basis for what your trying to do.

Lots of people fit Zetec engines these days rather than the crossflow as they are available used and very cheap

By the way its a "Crossflow" engine not "Overflow"

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:50 am

DreamBuilderiHope wrote: I would preferably like a chassis with the car reg, but its not essential as an age related reg could be obtained from DVLA.

Dave,

Welcome on board. FWIW, there have been a number of horror stories recently (some on here) about the DVLA and problems with registrations following rebuilds and modifications. Were it me, I would follow Rohan's suggestion and get a basket case with the appropriate registration already in place to avoid grief further down the line.

Good luck.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:42 am

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Agree with the points raised above, and would add that there are a few restoration candidates being advertised on CarAndClassic at the moment, although the prices are a bit… err… “optimistic”. I don’t think they will sell any time soon, but you could try an offer?

I seem to recall that one of these is for a complete body of a plus 2 and an elan.

Regarding the DVLA, if you build a car from scratch without a pre-existing identity you will need it to pass the SVA and it’ll be given a Q plate, most likely (I think there is a points based system which determines Q or age related plate).

An Elan is not really designed to pass the SVA test, so you might struggle there.

Good luck though, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DreamBuilderiHope » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:56 am

Hi, & Thank you Both!!!

Yes i know DVLA can be a pain, had run ins in the past trying to sort out a cars details!
I'm ok with a Q plate too, Really it's a case of I'll n ever afford one with a lotus engine!!! So i'm going to fit a Ford 1600 cc Cross flow engine and type 9 gearbox . Extremely happy with that.
Its the car I fell in love with, it's curves its interior, its just so beautiful. I have set myself five years to do it.

I am good at restoring anyway have done an a 35, rebuilt a Robin hood Kit Car & restore Racing Crash helmets 1960's/New in the style of Jim Clark's, and they sell very well. That will be my income for the project.
So i'm looking forward to starting from the bottom, will be fun and exciting to build it. Have researched the last 2 days on the body and chassis as to whats needed, so all set as and when i'm ready to buy the chassis or body.
Thanks for making me welcome here.
Best,
DreamBuilderiHope
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DreamBuilderiHope » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:56 am

Hi,

What would i need down the Ford Zetec route?
DreamBuilderiHope
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:02 am

Hi

Great that you want to restore a plus 2, and nothing wrong with the crossflow engine at all. The Zetec would be more work for sure. Type 9 gearbox will be fine, but you will need to relocate the gear lever. Not impossible, but certainly not trivial. I have a box where that has been done, and one that I will be chopping soon.

Whereabouts in the country are you? I know of a forum member (if they still have it) with a body and chassis but no identity, and I myself have a stripped car with identity awaiting restoration and choice of chassis. Its on the drive annoying the wife, so I am sure she would be pleased to see it go.........

I will enquire after the forum member that has the body and chassis and forward his details if he still has them.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DreamBuilderiHope » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:10 am

Hi Bernie,
Thanks for the reply and comment. I'm based in Scotland near Edinburgh.
Can i confirm Is it a type 9 Gearbox for a Pinto for the 1600 cc Cross flow Engine? Will they marry ok?
Oh so there is some altering to do gear leaver wise? Whats involved Bernie? Saving hard for a used chassis
With the reg preferred.

Aww Wives they are great though!!!

Best,
Dave.
DreamBuilderiHope
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:49 pm

Hi Dave

Scotlands a great place but quite some distance from me down in Beckenham Kent.

The type 9 will fit the crossflow because the gearbox bolt holes are the same. You will need the right clutch, flywheel and bellhousing. There are a few different combos that will work. I haven't actually got one in the chassis yet but soon I hope. You might need a concentric slave cylinder, I know I need it for my Zetec and type 9, and in fact its already fitted to the chopped box. Relocating the gear lever is a matter of cutting the housing apart and shortening the selector rod. This has been done quite a few times before (see the internet), but for our cars the engine sits well back (its pretty much mid engined really) so the lever has to be brought far more forwards than for many other conversions. As I say I will be doing one over the next month and will post on the process here. The 4sp box is actually very nice if not a bit buzzy on the motorway. I might actually fit one to my original Twincam car in preference to a type 9. Have not decided yet. With driving speeds on motorway being so restricted these days the problem may resolve itself.

The identity of an Elan is with the body, and the chassis is in fact a subframe. But if you buy a chassis with identity and no body then no one is going to know. Make sure it is all legal and everything adds up though. You can buy a whole car in need of total restoration for about 3-4k without the engine. A rolling chassis with body and identity missing lots of bits but with a serviceable chassis should be nearer 2k. All of this in my experience and opinion.

By the way. Be very careful of any offerings with an original chassis, even if the owner says the chassis is fine. I have had personal experience in that direction more than once. Inspect it and know what you are looking for. Look up Spyder chassis options in case you come across a car with one of those.

By the way if I am mistaken on any of the above feel free to correct or comment!

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DreamBuilderiHope » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:45 pm

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for that Amazing very detailed info.
I look forward to your future posting with much interest indeed!
Kindest regards,
Dave.

You can email me
at.... [email protected]

Be nice to chat on the phone Bernie!
DreamBuilderiHope
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:46 am

I would strongly advise against this Dave and instead look for a project requiring restoration - I am doing my second Plus 2 ground up restoration and you would be surprised at how little in relative terms a complete project can be found for.

I base my comment on going down the same route with a Mk1 MIni, starting with the shell - that bit went well but when it came to sourcing the hard to get parts to complete it (trim and such like) it became a complete ball ache (and that's a car which was built in huge numbers relative to a Plus 2). I eventually gave up and sold the part finished project to buy another complete Plus 2 restoration.

I'm just down the road near Carlisle so if you are ever passing I'd be happy to let you see the work in progress and discuss the pitfalls and pleasures

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=47900

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DreamBuilderiHope » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:19 am

Hi Jon,

Fantastic project and I wish you great success.
As I have stated, it's not a 100 % Lotus Elan Plus 2 project as it won't have the Lotus Engine!!

Over the weekend I have located virtually 99% of the car to rebuild one. The only items i haven't located are the seats, front and rear, wheels. That's it! I set myself a task and almost completed it.

Thank you for the advice Jon.

Yes I'm not that far and would be delighted to come see your work in progress when i'm passing through or nearby.
Regards,
DreamBuilderiHope
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:54 am

Welcome Dave! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:54 pm

Welcome Dave!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear