New member and new owner

PostPost by: StephenT » Mon May 30, 2022 12:27 am

Hello, I purchased a 1966 Elan S/E last week and should have it at my home in California sometime next week. The car has been sitting since the 70’s so will need a fair amount of work before it can be driven. I know the engine runs but have no idea about the rest of the drive line. My greatest concern is the chassis, even though it has been stored inside all these years. This is my first Lotus although I have owned many sports cars over the years including Austin Healey, Triumph, Alfa Romeo, Porsche 356 and others. I am very excited about this project and glad to have found this wonderful resource. I will have lots of questions to be sure.

Thanks, Steve
StephenT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon May 30, 2022 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of resources here, plus there are a number of Elan enthusiasts and shops in the area. There is also there's active chapters of the Golden Gate Lotus Club in the LA and San Diego areas.
Depending on condition, you may be able to get it going and drive it while you bring it up to snuff.

https://www.gglotus.org/ggchapter/ggsocal.htm
https://www.gglotus.org/ggchapter/ggsdlc.htm

Enjoy your new Elan. They are truly unique and enjoyable cars with their tactile telepathic handling and rifle bolt gear change.

Best regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ajwheels » Mon May 30, 2022 5:48 pm

Welcome....I bought my first Elan a few years back, and have found the forum here one of the best of any car-related forums I have been associated with....I have yet to come across an issue that the members here have failed to help me with, along with a level of humor and entertaining banter....I suspect it is a part of the Lotus Experience....

Enjoy the journey.....
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StephenT » Mon May 30, 2022 6:25 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and the local club information. I’m anxious for the car to be delivered so I can see what I’ve gotten myself into. I’m sure I will be spending plenty of time on this site.

Cheers,
Steve
StephenT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mwhitaker » Mon May 30, 2022 9:01 pm

Congrats on the purchase-you will not regret it. This site is an absolute gold mine of information-readily given as well. You will not find a problem with your car that someone hasn't dealt with before-and advice is given freely with gentle humor. Having grown up with my dad's 71 S4 FHC Elan as a teenager, it was 40 years later when I got my own 69 S4 DHC. I have loved pretty much every minute and enjoy the fiddling with mechanical stuff as much as the actual driving. For me, this would not be feasible w/o this great website as I am no superstar mechanic. Enjoy....

Cheers, Mark Whitaker
69 Elan S4 DHC
45/8396
mwhitaker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:43 pm

Welcome Steve!

+1 To what everyone else has said!

Where (geographically speaking) did you car spend all that time being stored? If it's been on the west coast then you might not have much to worry about with the chassis.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StephenT » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:41 pm

Unfortunately it was not stored on the west coast but rather New Jersey and so my concern. The transporter picked the car up today and should be here on Sunday, I’ll know more then. I have purchased several cars sight unseen (other than photos) and have always received about what I expected, we’ll see how it goes this time. I’m actually expecting to have a rusty frame but to what extent is the question. I did get the contact information about a person not to far from me that is quite experienced in repairing and strengthening Elan frames. He may be my new best friend.

I’ll report what I find here.
StephenT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:11 am

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StephenT » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:09 pm

Hello and my apologies for taking so long to post on the Elan. The car arrived in about the condition I expected. It looks like most of the parts are accounted for but most will need refurbishing. I know the engine runs but not much more on its condition. My initial goal is to make the car drivable. I have removed the brake calipers and master cylinder also the clutch master and slave. I will update as I find out more.

Steve
StephenT
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: