Nicolas, Marseille (FR) // Elan S4 // Hi there !!

PostPost by: Nikola1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:48 pm

Hi, I'm Nicolas, 44, from Marseille (FR).
(please excuse my unacademic "frenglish")

I inherited from my dad a few cars among which a partially disassembled 1968 Elan S4 (SE model ?).

My dad used to be a classic British car mechanics for a large part of his life :
He always loved British cars and ended up making that passion his job for a (large) while.
Possibly some of you may have met him when he was the co-owner of "GB Collection" workshop near Aix-en-Provence.

Back to the Elan : before he passed away, my dad dropped the engine and gearbox off the car, and completely disassembled the T/C engine, since he was planning a complete rebuild ...
... which now lets me with a few boxes of parts, and no specific personal knowledge.
(the boxes are actually at one of my dad's friend's place, who was supposed to help him and kindly offered me his help)

My plan is to try and rebuild the Elan and maybe one or two additional cars, and most likely to sell the others ..

A few "webxplorations" later, here I am on this forum (which was recommended to me by Sue at Mick Miller's) with a few questions and most likely a ton more to come :roll:
I will post them in separate threads and maybe just put a link here, but let me know if that's not an appropriate way of doing.

Looking forward to joining the family.

Merci et à très vite !
Nikola1
New-tral

PostPost by: bulfin » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi,

Your English is great and welcome.

This is a great site with many helpful and knowledgeable people. If you don't have the official workshop and parts manuals definitely get them. I also recommend Brian Buckland's book, "Rebuilding a Lotus Elan."

Bob
Bob Bulfin
1969 Elan S4 DHC
Mobile, AL USA
bulfin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Welcome Nicolas,
you have reached the best place for all related to Elans, many questions you might have, most likely have been answered before, but for searching do not use the search function of this site, use Google instead, with " site:lotuselan.net" added.
In case you do have questions, in most cases it is much better asking with pictures. Many people also use one thread for showing progress on one particular car. Even if it takes years ....

if you need to use an online translator, I suggest you use Deepl instead of Google, that way we might understand you :wink:
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 pm

Welcome aboard !

the journey may not be the safest, but one of the most enjoyable...

excellent choice of car btw (I'm only lightly biased by my 2 "68 s4se ... ) will be happy to help if I can ;)

keep it on the road !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nikola1 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi to all and many thanks for that warm welcome.

bulfin wrote:If you don't have the official workshop and parts manuals definitely get them.

I think I downloaded a copy of the Workshop Manual but was kind of surprised not to find many illustrations inside, hence looking for some book to complete ...
Concerning the Parts Manual, I'm not sure what I should look for from my investigations on the net. Has anyone a link to the real deal to share ?
Nikola1
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Welcome Nicolas
The books I have that I find useful are:-
Lotus factory workshop manual
Lotus Factory Parts list manual
Miles Wilkins Lotus twin Cam engine
The original Lotus Elan by Robinshaw and Ross.
The rebuilding of a Lotus Elan by Brian Buckland.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Welcome Nicolas!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:47 pm

RD enterprises has the parts manuals online.

http://www.rdent.com/manuals/
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: geni » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:52 am

bonjour Nicolas
il serait judicieux de te rapprocher du club Lotus France ou tu pourras ensuite acquérir les manuels d'atelier en Français
bon courage sur ta restauration mais n'oublie pas de faire des photos
geni
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bienfu » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:28 am

Bonjour Nicolas,
Bon courage à toi pour le remontage de la Lotus Elan.
Comme écrit dans les précédents commentaires, le livre de Brian Buckland "Rebuilding a Lotus Elan pourrait t'être utile, car il y a beaucoup d'illustrations des différentes pièces de Lotus Elan. Je ne sais par contre pas si ça pourra t'aider pour le remontage du moteur.
Si un jour tu es bloqué et que tu as besoin d'un garage, j'en connais un qui a l'habitude de travailler sur les Lotus Elan: l'atelier Rufils à Villefranche sur Saône (Rhône). Ils ont remontés mon moteur, lui-même refait par un motoriste qui est juste à côté, changé les amortisseurs et fait quelques bricoles sur mon Elan.
---------------------
Hi Nicolas,
Good luck with the Lotus Elan.
As written in the previous reviews, Brian Buckland’s book "Rebuilding a Lotus Elan could be useful to you, because there are many illustrations of the different parts of Lotus Elan. I don’t know if it can help you for the engine.
If one day you are stuck and you need a garage, I know one who is used to working on the Lotus Elan: the Rufils workshop in Villefranche sur Saône (Rhône). They reassembled my engine, which was rebuilt by a "nearby engine rebuilder", changed the shock absorbers and did a few things on my Elan.
Bienfu
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:23 am

Welcome Nicolas!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phil1800 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:33 pm

Welcome Nicolas,

just out of interest: what are the other cars?

Philipp
Düsseldorf/ Germany
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:19 pm

Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nikola1 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:59 pm

I tried to bid on that one but it seemed to be unavailable for delivery to France.
I asked the seller who never replied ...
:?
Nikola1
New-tral

PostPost by: Nikola1 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm

phil1800 wrote:Welcome Nicolas,

just out of interest: what are the other cars?

Philipp
Düsseldorf/ Germany

Along the Elan, I inherited a MGC, two Midgets, a T&J Hornet (Lotus seven replica), a (undetermined) XJ jaguar from the 80's (I need to check more on that one) and also a completely disassembled Healey Sprite . All of them need to be worked on ...

I'd like to restore the Elan and maybe the Sprite (was my mom's car, sentimental reasons) and get rid of the others ...
Nikola1
New-tral

Total Online: