New owner of a s3 coupe

PostPost by: Nickhad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi all my name is Nick I am based near stansted airport ,never owned a lotus before but I bought one from the USA which was taken over there in 1980 so it's a uk car .
It's been unused for many years and needs a full restoration, I would like to see if I can get the engine running but the starter is kaput,so a couple a questions ,what's the best book I can buy to help with the rebuild and the best supplier of a high torque starter plus many more parts.
Regards
Nick
Nickhad
New-tral

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Nick,

I have the factory wokshop manual and parts list. I also have "Lotus Elan addendum engineering workshop manual" by Brian Buckland. I don't remember where I got the two factory books from, but Brian's book was from Sue Miller (mickmillerlotus.com). Since Mick died Sue has been running the business as parts operation.

You obviously use lotuselan.net, I have found my branch of club lotus very helpful.

Hop this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi Nick and welcome,
As Richard says the workshop manual and Brian Buckland`s book are essential.
The parts list is on here in the wiki section.
I have been satisfied with the Powerlite RAC 472 starter. It is very easy to fit, just two fixing screws and one terminal. Nothing more to do.
You can make it more complicated but in my experience it is not necessary.
I fitted mine five years ago.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nickhad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Thanks guys ,I did my first post on Friday and thought it wasn't being posted so I did another post sorry for the duplicate.
I've bought the starter today from Marty Paul they seemed a nice bunch ,should get it by Friday .
Nick
Nickhad
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Nickhad wrote:I've bought the starter today from Marty Paul they seemed a nice bunch ,should get it by Friday .
Nick

I guess that's a backwards Paul Matty!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: