New possible owner +2

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi all, looking at buying a +2 1973 I think? has no plates on it !! Has paperwork showing it to be a press car. Being new to the forum, if I bought this car, who would be likely to know it's original colour scheme? If it has a VIN plate will the colour(s) be on it?
Hope to be joining the clan shortly.
Cheers, Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:49 am

Yes, colour code should be on the VIN plate. You can also contact the Lotus archivist to get a certificate of provenance for the car (at a cost).

Sounds interesting. I'm guessing if it was never registered it has low mileage. Got a picture?

Anyway, welcome!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Welcome Rob!

That DOES sound rather interesting; keep us posted!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Have bought the car, guy has died mid restoration sadly. Picking up next week. Apparently is registered with a stack of history and the certificate to say was press release car. Was painted in JPS colours which is wrong for the car I am told. Car is now in primer. The lady I have bought the car from said he was going to paint it a dark green met. Will have to see what the VIN says when we get the car back to base camp. Hope our paint guy can mix the colour we need. Thanks for your interest. Will keep you posted and upload pics soon.
Cheers, Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Sounds good Rob.

For Lotus paint codes see the webpage below. It should make sense to your paint guy.

http://www.lotus-europa.com/colors.html

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for that Jason. Will have a look when it arrives on Tuesday. Not quite sure how far the poor guy got with the body. I know the windscreen is cracked, but a new one is with it. I will need some paint to do the inside areas anyway. Had a quick word and paint guy, reckons it may have to be mixed clear over base rather than metallic paint mix. Says they have a clear which will appear less 'shiny' than the new stuff, so giving an original look to the car. Bought the car on photos as there was a line of pushy buyers at the door winding up the lady. I know her from organising classic rallies and club runs in the Yorkshire Dales. Really looking forward to getting a first hand look on Tuesday.
Thanks again for the colour info.
Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Rob, Jason, this is my updated Elan paint data sheet, available on my web site.

Rob, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, hope you received it.

Tim
Attachments
Elan Paint Codes Data Sep 18.pdf
(571.49 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Tim, no PM message received yet. Probably because I'm not a member as such yet? I know the Porsche club one took a few days to level out.
Cheers, Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Car arriving tomorrow 4th October. Have got the paperwork and large history file and the car was a Lotus press car.
Will post some pics and info as soon as it arrives. Looking forward to getting on with the resto.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Car arrived today. Don't know if I'm happy or scared to death? Bodywork is full of cracks now the paint is off. Not concerned about the bodywork, it's what I do best, it's the fact I have no idea how the thing goes back together, having not taken it apart. All we have is a load of boxes and a paint stripped bodyshell sat on a refurbished chassis. (Pic is before he took the paint off and took it apart.) A very nice one, with all new running gear, brakes, new engine, new gearbox and rear end. Although the car comes with a Lotus workshop manual, I don't find a lot of info on the trim and glass fitting. Plenty of wiring diagrams, so not a problem there. Have a rally TR7 to finish first so will just park it and sheet it for now. Have a feeling it will be a long trip !! :? :?
Attachments
car1chassis.jpg and
car1black.jpg and
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Having trouble finding the paint code. Is it part of the vin number or model number? Looking at the info kindly sent by Jason and a bit of the old colour under where the screens have been, I think it may have been the Renault mid green met?
Correct year anyway and not a lot of darker met greens used.
Any thoughts?
Cheers, Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Found the paint code for the car, Renault 953. Only reason for wanting it back to original is it's a Lotus press car and was informed by Bonhams it would be worth more in the original colour as it was only used on the press and show cars. Non of the production cars had this colour on them. The production cars were a lighter green metallic. The press cars also had no silver flake roof. This info came from Lotus today.
I'm considering selling the car 'as is' anyway as time is not available to do it along with the other projects. My 65 year old bones will only cope with so much! Seems a shame to park it when someone can finish the car and enjoy it. We'll see? :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: