Long time lurker -- tips for my Elan hunt?

PostPost by: monkeyodeath » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:48 am

I've been lusting heavily after an Elan the past few years and am finally at the point where I can start to seriously shop.

I've lurked on this forum for a few years now, gleaning information and checking out other people's cars.

I'm a big fan of pure driver's cars and have owned an air-cooled 911 and an '88 M3, among others. The Elan, however...that's the holy grail for me! Hopefully, my experience working on other cars will help me tackle the particular challenges of vintage Lotus ownership.

I figured I'd introduce myself, as I have a question: besides the obvious locations (this forum, BaT, ebay, craigslist, Hemmings), what are some good ways to track down a car?

I ask because I'm the kind of buyer who's totally open to a modified vehicle. I'm definitely okay with a swapped engine or trans, replaced chassis, etc. Not a huge stickler about about perfect paint, nor am I especially set on one particular model. I'd just like to find a driveable car in decent shape. (though I would really prefer a DHC)

For example, I'm kicking myself for not getting this one: (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-lotus-elan-s4-3/).

Should I post something like this: (for-sale-f34/for-sale-bat-t42286.html)? Should I be looking somewhere else?
monkeyodeath
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Find your local lotus club (s) and start to build links to the members - they have the cars and if you want first opportunity you need to know them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: