New Member in Kansas, USA

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello to all members,

My name is Randy Hendershot, and 36 years ago I found a 65 Elan with a detachable hardtop that had been stolen and vandalized. The car has sat at various mechanics businesses, with limited success in refurbishment. The biggest problem is that here near Topeka there are few Lotus cars, and my active years were spent without the internet to help search for parts. I have been helped immensely by Ray at RD Engineering, who, by the way, is a wonderful human being who "adopted" me decades ago from halfway across the USA.
Now that I am retired the pressure to get the Elan on the road has prompted me to join the local British Car Club and bite the bullet to get the car running and painted.
Future questions to the forum will involve the detachable hardtop trim and the fasteners to the windscreen frame, and interior trim parts including door panels. Unfortunately a leaking shed roof and packrats have reduced my stored interior parts to mush. I will be grateful for all the advice I can get.

Randy Hendershot
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Welcome Randy.
please post pictures!!! :)
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Here is a shot in the paint booth. Here in Kansas they are going to call that John Deere green.

And also a shot of the fasteners that hold the top to the windscreen frame. Any idea what parts bin they came out of???
Attachments
lotus-hardtop-fastener-claw.jpg and
lotus-new-paint.jpg and
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm

With that colour scheme perspex covered headlights would look great!

I have always assumed the hard top clamps were a Lotus product.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Welcome!, your car looks great in those colours.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Are there any winding roads in Kansas? Excellent paint scheme!
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 am

Welcome Randy!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Please consider joining Lotus Ltd. We are the nations largest Lotus club. website is www.lotusltd.com

I am the Vice President of the club.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Randy,
Welcome, nice colour scheme. Below is a source for rubber trim bits (no personal connection). I know nothing about the hardtops but if the rubber is similar to the cant rails then I think I have a leftover bit I can photograph for the profile, will have to hunt in the shed to see if I still have it.
I sewed up some seat covers myself, worked out great and didn't take much time, assuming some sewing dexterity, it was the first I had ever done. You will likely need to redo the foam / cloth and wires on the underside, if you look at will understand what I mean. You can buy seat covers from Famous Frank in Fl. I think.
Cheers,
Jack

https://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi Randy

Just another "Welcome" from California [originally from Midwest].
Interesting story, sad to hear about the deterioration & loss of parts.
I am no expert, but there are many on this site ready & able to help with most any question you may have.

Great to see the body looking so good! Looks like progress!
Not sure if you have ever driven one of these things in the past, but it is a unique & rewarding experience for any car guy & especially any sportscar guy [oops, um "person"].

Best of luck in getting it done & back on the road! I am working on my lhd S2 & will be glad to help if I can. Have you listed the s/n or vin?
Jay
Second Gear

PostPost by: nunomauricio » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Welcome from Portugal!!!! I?m new on the forum. You have a fantastic paint job in you car, congratulations, one of my dream car, my uncle had two or three unfortunately they were all over.

Best regards Nuno
nunomauricio
New-tral

PostPost by: nunomauricio » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am

I have a very good Portuguese friend that lives in Kansas, he married with an American girl, in a barn ;)
nunomauricio
New-tral

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Welcome Randy :D Great group of ?lan owners on this site, they were invaluable in my restoration projects. Yes, Ray at RD is a wonderful man with emense knowledge and most of the parts you need.

I have a complete write up with lots of photos of my frame off rebuild of my 64 ?lan S1 on this site. You might want to grab a cup of coffee and read through it.

Great body color! Looks fast just sitting in the booth!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the various bits of information. The number plates were removed by the thieves, and I have not done a deep dive underneath to see if i can find the vin on the frame. The Kansas authorities assigned me a special number and a new vin to match. Are information plates available for the S1?

I am a long time member of Lotus Ltd.

What is a cant rail?

I will explore the parts site, thanks! Just got in a big box from Kelvedon, they were VERY helpful.
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: jk952 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:07 pm

?What is a cant rail??
This made me smile, I asked the same question when I bought my S2 some years back, being unfamilliar with the S2 details at the time.
They are the fiberglass things the shape of the side window curve that the top snaps onto. They have the pin that goes into the unprotected :? hole in the bodywork...

:)
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: