PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 am

That's true enough.

Jeff how about posting up the location of the IP address?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm

What percentage of people in the UK have English as their first language ?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:What percentage of people in the UK have English as their first language ?

John :wink:

According to Mr Google 95% - apparently 138000 don't speak any English at all.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:10 pm

so our new ms peel belongs to the 5% illiterates! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm

My oh my. Not the most welcoming crew are we.

Here is a little education of what happens when someone new joins our ranks. The first post of any new member has to be approved. 50% of the requests have their accounts/post deleted because they are spam or a scammer. 40% get approved, because they are serious Lotus content.

10% are questionable. These are reviewed for a variety of items. IP address. Email address. Language. Location. etc. These are the tricky ones. depending on the post, I will either approve, but list for future watch or deny the post with a notification.

We had a new member recently that was annoyed at me for denying his post. All the post said was to call [Parts House Name] at [phone number], they have your part. Sounds like a commercial post.

Concerning Emma,

She is in the 10%. She passed the first test to have her post approved. She is on the watch list. If she is a scammer, we will remove her existence from the forums. If she is not, she should be treated much nicer than she has been treated.

Emma is a Millennial. They are intrigued by shinny objects. We will see millennials drop by and disappear. They reach out to connect quickly. We, keepers of the Elan Flame, will need to accept them for their uniqueness if we want Elan enjoyment to pass to the next generation.

Steve had concerns and PM'ed me about this post and I explained this to him. I told Steve I had her on the watch list. This occurred before Steve's post.

Steve, we can have suspicions about a person, but we do not judge and try the person in open court. People deserve the chance. I feel your Gary is coming out. :lol: :lol:

Let's give people a chance.
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 pm

i also agree BUT her 1st appearance bothered a bunch of us ....................... AND (in dubio pro rero) sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Emma may indeed be a scammer but don't be completely hasty in jumping to that conclusion as my son is a mere 24 yo, loves lotus and has a lot of mates who are also in their twenties and each one (Male and Female) drives something you would call interesting. These range from your everyday Morris Minor, Rover P6 right through to a Corvette Stingray. They all belong to a forum called the "The Young Guns" and some of those guys and gals also have a few bob to spend ;-)

Having said that I notice the lack of response so maybe the jury will remain out until a further post is seen from Emma
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Jeff,

My inner Gary coming out - what an honour or insult.

Despite your long explanatory note you have avoided giving the location of the IP address. I know it but it ain't necessarily my place to post it here though I think it is quite relevant to this discussion.

I'm not judging just voicing an opinion I believe I'm entitled to have. I'm strongly aggrieved by the actions of these scammers and if a timely warning saves some members here being out of pocket then my opinion will hopefully be seen as positive rather than negative.

Think I'll bow out of this discussion now. Let's be careful out there!
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:13 pm

elanfan1 wrote:My inner Gary coming out - what an honour or insult.

A little of both, but with a chuckling and a raising of a beer when said.

elanfan1 wrote:Despite your long explanatory note you have avoided giving the location of the IP address. I know it but it ain't necessarily my place to post it here though I think it is quite relevant to this discussion.

Privacy Issues. The person has not done anything to warrant having her location where posted revealed. Your suspicions are not legal grounds to overcome privacy laws.
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:14 pm

I would like to move this discuss out of the Intro topics to a new topic. Scammers, do we have a problem?

questions-f20/scammers-have-problem-t39309.html

I am curious on if this is an issue within LotusElan.net
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes, welcome Emma, I do hope you aren`t offended by people`s suspicions and are forgiving given that there are some scumbag scammers about.
As to casting aspersions about your grammar, punctuation, or phraseology; I`m outraged on your behalf. This is not a forum on English etiquette and, indeed, one regular poster here is scarcely intelligible but I think he drinks a bit !
If your interest in Lotus is genuine, then I agree that an Elise rather than Elan would be a perfect entry into Lotus ownership. Good luck....or *&^%%^&** depending.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:17 pm

When I first joined this group, there was an Emma that helped solve a problem I had with my headlight vacuum switch. A plus 1 there. If this person actually purchases an Elan or not makes little difference. If they are interested in our obsession, and learn something about the cars, it is a successful joining.

Over the years I have found that sometimes first impressions are like the cover of a book. They rarely divulge ones eventual liking or disliking of the contents. There are times when I have devoured the authors efforts, and other times when I quit reading after just a few paragraphs.

I would rather take a look and see attitude to evaluate the contents before making a final judgement. Thus I welcome a new poster, and hopefully they will prove to be a valued member. If proved otherwise, Jeff has shown that they are easily removed.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: