Hello from Durham.

PostPost by: PeterG » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi, I've just purchased a Lotus Elan Sprint with a DHC conversion and prefer it over my 1972 Lotus Europa Twin Cam 5 speed. So the Europa is advertised for sale, be sorry to see it go but the Elan is a lot better on the eye!
My brother had a Pistachio green over white Elan Sprint DHC when I was a lad so I suppose the seed was planted then. It cost him two and a half times his salary at the time and the reg no was SUP 4K. I wonder if this is still alive today??
Anyway will be asking daft questions about the Elans so please go easy on me..
I'll get some pictures up when the weather is better hopefully at the weekend.
You will have seen the car as it was advertised nationally and also on Ebay.
Bodywork and paint are excellent, just a few little things to sort out over the next month.

Reards Pete.
PeterG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Hello Pete,
Good luck with the Elan. Shame to sell the Europa though :(
I was born in Durham and all my Dad's side of the family are there. I think it still has the best setting of any cathedral.
Look forward to seeing some pics.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:39 am

Welcome Peter, always good to see another Sprint owner join us.

Was it the Colorado Orange over White car that you bought?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:11 pm

Welcome to the mad house, in a nice way of course, hope you enjoy the new purchase. Lots of answers to questions to be found on this forum.

Good luck and remember to pop a piccy or two up of the car
Rob P
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:09 pm

trw99 wrote:Welcome Peter, always good to see another Sprint owner join us.

Was it the Colorado Orange over White car that you bought?

Tim

Hi Tim, indeed it was. Steve was a top bloke to deal with and we had a good bit crack. Proper genuine bloke some lovely cars on his drive, couple of Ferraris, Lotus & with BDA motor in, Brabus merc, and yet he's so humble...
I popped back to see him this morning and he showed me his De Tomasto Pantera, honestly took my breath away, WOW I was gobsmacked at the sheer awe of it, this was on my bedroom wall as a kid first time I've seen one in the flesh. :shock:
Any way few things need sorting, paint the white back in with new sprint stripes, anyone know where i can purchase these?
Also going to purchase a new hood, again any help sourcing one would be excellent.
Sort the gear linkage out and get the carbs balanced.
Roll on the sunshine.
Oh, I have a set of 13" minilite knock on wheels with tyres I will be popping for sale here or Ebay. I dont think they suit the car but would be ideal to use for a trackday or hillclimb Lotus.
PeterG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Pete,
Welcome, there are 2 people on here that can help you with new stripes Elanfan1 (Steve) and Pastapesto (Adam), send me a PM and I will put you in contact. Between them they supply most of the dealers out there, so you can save a little by going direct.

As for a new hood I can thoroughly recommend those available from Sue Miller not only because she is a nice person to deal with, but because they are very good quality and have an excellent front lip arrangement where the hood connects to the screen. http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/intro.html
Sue stocks the original material Everlasti vinyl type and also a mohair type. You need to phone her rather than email, you might need to be patient and keep trying but it's well worth it.

I'm intrigued regarding you saying that you need to sort out the gear linkage?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Pete,
Welcome, there are 2 people on here that can help you with new stripes Elanfan1 (Steve) and Pastapesto (Adam), send me a PM and I will put you in contact. Between them they supply most of the dealers out there, so you can save a little by going direct.

As for a new hood I can thoroughly recommend those available from Sue Miller not only because she is a nice person to deal with, but because they are very good quality and have an excellent front lip arrangement where the hood connects to the screen. http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/intro.html
Sue stocks the original material Everlasti vinyl type and also a mohair type. You need to phone her rather than email, you might need to be patient and keep trying but it's well worth it.

I'm intrigued regarding you saying that you need to sort out the gear linkage?

Thanks for the info I'll get in touch for a price.
The gearstick seems all over the place compared to my Europa 5 speed, I'm just guessing it could be the linkage I'll have to get a good look at it over the weekend.
Anyone else experienced this??
PeterG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:43 am

Hello Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm just down the road from you. I'm a long time Elan owner. PM me for my contact details and perhaps we can meet for a cuppa and a natter.

Incidentally your car has my old steering wheel :D

Cheers,

Rob
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: