A proper barn find

PostPost by: Dave109 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Hello all,
I need a bit of advice from those who know Elan plus 2`s.
I have just purchased a plus 2 from its original owner. The car was registered in 1968 and was taken off the road with 25k miles when the owner hit a lamp post in 1971. He purchased a new body and chassis and started a rebuild but then decided over the next few years to upgrade the car to a plus 2s 130/5.

He purchased just about everything new that was required to change the car including a new dash, lights, interior trim, carbs, valves, cam cover, badges, chrome trims etc.

so I have a car I can rebuild as a plus 2s 130/5 with boxes of brand new parts but if I rebuild it as it left the factory I will need quite a few bits and pieces including a gearbox and interior trim.
I will probably sell it once finished in a few years as I will enjoy the rebuild and will want to move on to another car but I have no clue what the likely difference in values would be.
Does anyone have any thoughts ?
Thanks in advance, Dave
Dave109
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 am

There's probably not a huge difference between the values of either car when rebuilt to a great condition, however you might struggle to sell a car that doesn't match the original spec of the car. Then again there could be someone looking for just what your selling. Enjoy the rebuild.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave109 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:58 am

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I guess it will be easier to rebuild if I have to source less parts and at the end of the day I am not doing it to make money. If it did take a long time to sell that would not be such a hardship as some summer miles in an Elan can only be something to enjoy.
I have a while yet and a lot of work before I have to decide so I will see how it develops as I go.
Thanks Dave
Dave109
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:07 am

Dave, there isn't much if any difference in value between an early Plus 2 and a late one, both in the same condition. But an early car restored as a late car, or the other way around, would be worth less that either rebuilt to original specification. Nobody will pay top money for a car that is not one thing or the other! Indeed, it would even ring alarm bells with many folks.

If you have all the parts for a late car, I would hunt out a late 130 S that needs restoration, one that has a very poor shell and the engine / box has been nabbed for an Anglia! They come up on ebay quite often, and you may be able to find one that needs everything doing, and missing most bits, for less than ?1k. You will then have more options, and will get your money back selling off the bits you don't need.

But do you really have all the parts? The main differences between early and late cars are:

Internal Trim : Front and rear seats, door cards, rear side trim, centre console, carpet, rear parcel shelf, under-dash trims, dash crash pad, interior lights, headlining and sunvisors, rear view mirror.

Door furniture : including internal door handle, lock and control rods, external handle and lock, door latches.

Dashboard : The dash, instruments (different style and 2 extra in late cars), switches, fuse box / location, vacuum headlamp switch (early) solenoid switch (late). Steering column, steering wheel and horn push.

Under bonnet : Radiator / fan, solenoid headlamp lifter, engine (head and cam cover), pedal box, wiper mounting plate.

General: Exhaust system, wheels, spot lights, remote boot lid opening (late cars), windscreen aperture (bonded screen vs rubber seal), wiring looms, badges.

I'm sure that with a bit of thought a fair few more differences will pop up!!

I wouldn't worry about the 5 speed box too much. Quite a few late 130 S cars had the 4 speed, and some think that they were the best Plus 2 cars made...including Paul Matty, who has bought and sold more Elans that most!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave109 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi Mark,
That's very helpful information and straight away I suspect you are absolutely right and I am missing lots of smaller parts I didn't know I needed.
The idea of a late car seems a good one apart from the storage problem of having 2 vehicles but I can probably source a storage garage somewhere.
I appreciate your time Mark and your advice. Thank you.
Dave109
New-tral

Total Online: