Finally got my hands on a Classic

PostPost by: Rob P » Thu May 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:As your car sounds standard and original do you want to spoil that originality by fitting modern "improvements" which change its character too?

Lots to ponder over I think :-)
Thanks for the comments
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:03 am

Most of the "wind up" occurs on this site - :lol:

Personally I believe a good set of CV's is the best modification you can make to an Elan and unless your car is a museum piece and not intended to be driven it is something I would do to any Elan or Plus 2.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 am

Someone on here recently mentioned that Kelvedon sell the shaft conversions that Sue (mick) Miller used to sell and they also sell rear dampers with shorter shafts to do the highly desirable droop restriction.

lotus-gearbox-f37/driveshaft-kit-t34052.html?hilit=pair
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JC33supreme » Sat May 30, 2015 2:28 pm

A REALLY beautiful looking car.

If I was starting from scratch, I would go for wedgewood. Since I have taken over 32 years to not get my car running, a colour change might be step too far, but I am envious.

John
John

If something is worth doing well.................................................... it's well worth undoing
JC33supreme
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Sat May 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks John, appreciate the comment, it is a lovely colour, wasn't my choice but my sons, happy to say he chose well :-)

Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Regarding mirrors, my car is a bit older (1968) and did not came with a "bullet" (Raydot, Talbot, ...) but rather with a "Sebring" mirror, door mounted. I was a bit dubious about it at first, but it is very light plastic and had held well so far. They are still on the market, in black or chrome and with a flat or a convex mirror. I bought a black/convex as a spare, and got them painted. I believe Rdent in the US also offers a thicker stand to offset the mirror like an inch from the door (standard stand is about 5 mm).

I eventually found out Jim Clark's yellow S3 coupe he drove in Paris had the same kind mirror (though not painted) :

http://www.crombac.com/Voitures.html
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Looks in great condition.
Re wing mirrors, personally I favour the chrome ones that clip on to the front of the window frame. They work well, no drilling and look unobtrusive. I think Holdens or Europa stock them.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback on mirrors, currently looking at a few options but have to admit I'm getting used to not having one at present. Don't really want to start drilling holes so the clip on sounds a nice option

Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: