Newby.

PostPost by: 5413rw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi All, well, having owned an ?lan +2 back in the early eighties and forever regretted selling it, I actually found that car on an auction site. The guy selling it didn't believe me until I quoted the engine and chassis numbers. Sue, my wife, and I, Richard, went to see it and we both were quite upset by its general condition - very poor! I sold the car with around 40k miles on it and the speedo now reads 65k and firmly believe this to be original - I rebuilt the engine , replaced the chassis and re sprayed it 18 months before selling it to a Hairdresser. The car still has the tax disc displaying 1985!
I currently have a project on the go at the moment so I can't see me starting this one until I finish the current one. This, I hope, will give me time to find the missing, or replace parts that are not original to that YOM. Hey ho!
So, where do I find original parts from!!!!!!!!! Richard
5413rw
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:41 pm

So you bought it back?

You didn't explicitly say that.

Welcome to the Forum.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:41 am

Well done and welcome

Make friends with Susan Miller at Mick Miller Lotus. If she hadn't the part in stock she will either get it for you or point you in the right direction. She is most knowledgable.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:12 am

Welcome Richard
I sold my Europa to a hairdresser in the 70's. First thing he did was put a sunroof in it Grrrrrr I believe he had a 'big hair' do so he probably had the roof open to get his hair in. The parts supply as Tim said is pretty good although some are not up to the standard of the originals. I hope you don't frighten yourself at the cost as the restoration progresses
all the best
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 5413rw » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I did purchase it back and I hope to make it a retirement project, well at least until I finish my current project.
I need to dig out some old photos to remind me of how it looked - I can remember it being gorgeous then, but it is very different no!
5413rw
New-tral

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:32 pm

..........to stuart: i also had a TC europa which i had to hide from my wife - 5 years later i sold it (without the 13000k weber head) for 1500 german marks --- we smuggled the car on a lovely sunny saturday from southern germany to northern swiitzerland AND NOT TO MY SURPRISE (my scout is one of the older wise guys) we all of a sudden were back in swtizerland with an almsot invisible JPS (black/gold) on a trailer!!! ---- we of course had NO car documentation and regardless of the day of the week, even here you don?t import a car without nothin?!!! i wish i still had it (5 speed) cheers sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:16 am

Richard,

Welcome to the Forum. These are some of the best people in the world!

There are a couple of cars in my past I'd like to have back that don't look too good today. But what was really bad was seeing a woman I once was in love with. And I thought the cars didn't fair well! I mean 15 years later I didn't know it was her and "YIKES!" !!!!! The years have not been kind.

Good luck with the wonderful projects.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear