frogeyesimon - new owner

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am

Hello everyone, my name is Simon and I live in Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
From my username you may guess that I'm a frogeye owner and have been so for the bast 41 years (started at age 11). That's not why I'm here though because I have recently purchased an elan +2S130 chassis no 50/1189.

The Elan started out life in the UK before being exported to Eire around 1980. It returned to the UK in 2006 where it has sat in someone's garage before I bought it in June of this year. The car is virtually complete currently painted a horrible metallic blue/green - originally it was gold over white I believe. It has 701 twin-cam Vegantune engine which has only done about 30k. twin 45dhla dellortos and a 4 speed box.

The car is scruffy but solid and sits on a replacement Lotus chassis.
I've managed to get the car MOT'd and running and after months of protracted bureaucratic nonsense with DVLA have finally managed to get it's original registration back ORJ 979G.

So this past weekend I ventured out in my new toy only to get rather bogged down with crud in the fuel line. The tank will be coming out for some cleaning soon.

Once this is sorted out I plan to drive it for a bit so as to get to know it's various strengths and weakness aside from the obvious cosmetic issues. I'm likely to be on here from time to time asking dumb questions (I promise to search the archives first!)

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in!!

Attached is a pic, together with one of it's stable-mate (which I restored some 25 years ago)
Simon
Attachments
Lotus&Frog.jpg and
stable-mates
Lotus.jpg and
now ORJ 979G
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Simon,
That looks like a very nice +2 and only 36 numbers younger than mine!
I actually like the colour, but maybe it's not so good up close. My car was also an Irish car, but went straight to Northern Ireland in late '68 and getting an age related English plate from DVLA was also a nightmare.
Look forward to hearing about your ups and downs and seeing more pics -
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Salut Simon

Welcome to the forum - I haven't been here long but I visit everyday - everyone is so knowledgable, enthusiastic and very free with advice.

My car was originall registered in NI before going over to Blighty and is now in France. I found the NI registration office extremely helpful and they dug out and scanned an original document that I needed.

Have fun with your new toy :)

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Simon
Good to chat on Sunday morning, although hopefully it will be under better circumstances next time.
Peter (the motorbike)
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:09 pm

PeterK wrote:Hi Simon
Good to chat on Sunday morning, although hopefully it will be under better circumstances next time.
Peter (the motorbike)

Can you really tow a +2 with a motorbike? :shock:

Seriously, they can be great cars and I applaud your decision to drive first and fiddle second, safety issues allowing.

I'm intrigued that you have a S130 with such an early chassis number and, presumably, date of 1968. The trim would give it away and provided the suspension is as good as the engine it's only an authenticity matter so enjoy it for what it is. And welcome !
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:40 am

Welcome Simon.

As Meg indicates and your photo confirms, your car appears to have been a +2 upgraded to later Plus 2S 130 specification. The Lotus records list 50/1189 with a build date of 26 Nov 68 which ties in with Kev's earlier car, with a build date of 27 Nov 68. The Plus 2S 130 first sold in Feb 71.

Your registration number was, according to the DVLA site, first put on the road on 1st Feb 68 which is a little perplexing!

Any way, the car looks good and I hope you enjoy it as much as your Frogeye. Doesn't the four seater +2 look smaller than the Sprite in your photo!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 am

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

The documentation that I have, suggests that the car was first registered in the UK on 1/2/1968 - The V5 states this also - I'm guessing that this is incorrect but I have had enough bother dealing with DVLA to last me a lifetime and I'm not sure that I can be bothered to sort this out just yet!. The previous owner upgraded the car to S130 spec during the 1970s. It has later trim, all the correct 130 badges, later spec engine, heated rear window and some other bits and pieces that I think may be from later spec cars.

One puzzle that I do have is concerning the dashboard. I have black-bezeled instruments (6 off) which I haven't seen before. The gauge faces look authentic, just not seen the black bezels before. Dash (which looks like it has been modified somewhat) is also fitted with non-standard rocker switches, an ash tray and latching glove-box. It looks a bit like the "mid" fascia as shown on the rdent part manuals website. Again I haven't seen one of these before.

I will post some more pictures over the next day or so as I'm eager to get other peoples views.

And thanks PeterK for stopping to help on Sunday morning. I got back home eventually!!
Simon
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 am

Couple of dashboard pics attached.
Dash needs replacing - veneer is beyond salvation - doesn't look too bad in pics.
So has it been hacked about? Is/was it a "mid" type layout as per rdent parts manuals?
Anyone recognise the rocker switches? - where might they have been sourced from?

Simon
Attachments
lotus_dash2.jpeg and
lotus_dash1.jpeg and
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:30 am

it looks like your car has a 5 speed box by the gaiter.
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:16 am

Alan,

5-speed ? - Yikes !!!
You know what, I haven't even checked to see whether the lever will crank over to the right of the 3rd/4th gait. You are going to laugh at this bit - the gear lever knob shows it as a 4 speed. - Soon as I get home tonight I will check it out !!!

Thanks for the heads-up

Simon
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Definitely a 4 speed
Simon
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

So here I am 9 months on, somewhat lighter of wallet, somewhat heavier in the grey hair department and I have a cracking car which is about 90% of the way down the finishing straight...
Thanks for the advice you guys have given, I expect I will be in need of more in due course....

Simon
Attachments
DSCF1497.JPG and
DSCF1496.JPG and
DSCF1493.JPG and
DSCF1501.JPG and
DSCF1492.JPG and
DSCF1465.JPG and
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:22 pm

Love the reg ORJ..G = ORGY :lol:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon May 11, 2015 6:11 am

I think that you passed me as I was being dragged for a walk by SWBO yesterday.

Car's looking good Simon
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: