Newly Signed up

PostPost by: Tournesol » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've always been into my classic, the first car I owned right after passing my driving license was a Simca Aronde from 55, not a "racer" but lots of character. Now into the "mid life crisis" and looking for an elan+2 to run it as an every day runner (I know I am mad!). Not looking for a concours car but something decent and "clean".
Keeping my eyes open. Good to see there seems to be a good community on here. I am looking for plenty advice on ownership, how best to look after them etc... Not having a garage or somewhere to store the car over night I am sure I'll need plenty of it.....
Speak with some of you soon!
Thank you.
Tournesol
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:47 am

Hi and welcome
Good luck with your search. The Plus 2 can certainly be a reliable and usable everyday car. I used mine that way for almost 10 years. They are a number of modification that make it more "robust" and easier to live with such as electronic ignition and CV drive shafts and modern cooling fans and thicker core in the radiator and you will see these debated here as to the merits or not if you search the archives.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:44 am

hi and welcome to the forum......has been very helpful to me [a new elan owner]
there seem to be quite a few plus 2's around in various stages of disrepair!
no garage would be a problem for me, so I would invest in a good breathable waterproof outdoor cover.....bit of a pain every day maybe, but worth it!!

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks for the welcoming and yes Fred a top of the range outdoor cover is definately on my checklist of things to buy if I find my +2. I imagine that with the fiber glass body they are less proned to rust than other classics though, is that a good assumption?
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:40 pm

You're right fibreglass doesn't rust but it has its fair share of other problems like microblistering, cracking (some of which can result from poor storage) etc.

Have a look at Cair O Port they do outside quality enclosures that have their own through air supply to keep the moisture down with built in battery charger. They don't need to be collapsed to get the car out either.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: