My first Lotus - 2 weeks in .. it's been emotional

PostPost by: rcourtney » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:12 am

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently picked up an Elan +2 - It was love at first sight.

The car - 1968 Elan +2 in Saturn Silver (originally red) rebuilt about 10 years ago, although still on the original chassis. The engine was rebuilt at the time by AGRA engineering.

I knew the car had a few niggles when I picked it up but nothig too serious. It struggled to start hot. The webers needed some attention - it was running rich, so I have had them tuned and balanced. It also misfired occasionally. After a bit of investigation I found that the Aldon 103TC that was fitted needed some attention. I'm currently having Aldon build and supply a new unit (103TC-I). As soon as I have the new unit I'll get the old one out and see what I can do with it - refurb etc?!?

I'm hoping to have it running smoothly so I an get out and enjoy some driving before the winter is upon us.. As my wife pointed out - it's summer solstice today!

Despite a couple of little issues and having pushed the at about as much as I've driven it, I still love it.
1968 Lotus Elan +2 (Saturn Silver / Black)
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:22 am

Welcome to the Forums and more importantly, owning an Elan. We would love to see pictures of your car.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:04 pm

welcome..... are you still on rotoflexes on driveshafts or have they been replaced with something a little better?
oh & where in london pls ?
Rich
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi,

Pics as requested ..

Am based in Battersea.

It's still on rotoflex - is on the list of things to look at.

Ralph
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:54 am

Hi Ralph, and welcome to the forum.

I can understand why you fell for the car, it looks great in silver, very classy. I'm not familiar with the Aldon specs, will the new distributor be on CB points or with the Aldon Ignitor electronic ignition fitted ?

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 am

Hi,

I agree re colour, ideally I would have gone for somthig in original colour. I don't really mind that it's not original - guess some might.

My understanding is that the 103TC uses points, you can replace these with an Aldon Ignitor module (LU143/144 off the top of my head). The 103TC-I is the same as the 103TC with a factory fitted Ignitor.

I currently have a modified 103TC, whose Ignitor module isn't siting properly and therefore it's not producing good spk on cyl 2. I have decided to replace the modified 103TC with an Aldon factory built replacement 103TC-I (belt and braces!)

Will see how it goes - hopfully it will make things slightly more reliable!!

Ralph
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm not familiar with the aldon specifications but I'm guessing that your new distributor will have the electronic ignition module fitted ?

If not then I'd suggest you look into it, one thing I've found is that these new-fangled black magic things make my car much easier to start for some reason. I'm a real Luddite with these things but I've got to admit they are a good upgrade.

Going back to the colour, while it might not be original it just looks so right on the +2. I can't recall seeing one before but having seen yours I don't know why there aren't loads around !

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:49 am

Congratulations Ralph, it looks lovely. I pass through Battersea on my way to work in Chelsea. There is also a nice yellow +2 that lurks around Albert Bridge area.

I am also in the process of purchasing a +2, deposit is down, just waiting to collect and then I'll be using it for my commute, I'll give you a toot if I see you about.

Gavin
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:39 pm

yes v nice indeed . mine was silver in the early 70's and have bits showing thru today !.
I work down in chelsea and putney routinely . Don't drive the +2 for work.
if you hear a toot from a black mini cooper clubman Bond Street special edition ( i.e. JPS colours black with gold roof ) it'll be me !
p.s. interior's very smart . does the radio work?
pps curious passenger int. door handle !
Rich
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:22 pm

RichC wrote:yes v nice indeed . mine was silver in the early 70's and have bits showing thru today !.
I work down in chelsea and putney routinely . Don't drive the +2 for work.
if you hear a toot from a black mini cooper clubman Bond Street special edition ( i.e. JPS colours black with gold roof ) it'll be me !
p.s. interior's very smart . does the radio work?
pps curious passenger int. door handle !
Rich

I'll be sure to wave, that assuming I have a hand free and I'm not pushing it again ;-)

The picture of the interior makes it look better than it perhaps is .. Its a little scruffy with marks on the dash, a crack on the centre consol and a couple of missing under dash panels (lots of wires on display!). But nothing major. The headlining, carpets, rear seats etc have all been re trimmed / replaced. The first thing I intend to do re the interior is sort the missing under dash panels. I can live with a little wear - it's an old car, it should feel like one (in my opinion).

The radio doesn't work, although I've not had it out to see whats going on. Not overly concerned and not too bothered to waste too much time or energy investigating.

As for the door handles, they are def not original parts! I'm not sure what it should be sporting - any ideas welcome!

Ralph
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:37 pm

gavk wrote:Congratulations Ralph, it looks lovely. I pass through Battersea on my way to work in Chelsea. There is also a nice yellow +2 that lurks around Albert Bridge area.

I am also in the process of purchasing a +2, deposit is down, just waiting to collect and then I'll be using it for my commute, I'll give you a toot if I see you about.

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Is the yellow one you mention, this one? ...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C510087

Also, seems alot ?!? - I didnt pay that

Ralph
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I had noticed that advert and did a double take but that's not it. Same colour tho. Not cheap!
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Southy1979 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:07 am

First post and new Plus 2 owner.

Ralph,

Turns out through the joy of the internet I found and purchased your old car from a dealer down in Kent! Like you, love at first sight (albeit from the other side of the world). I am based in Singapore but was Battersea prior to moving here 3 years back. Glad to be able to get a bit of a background and find out it has come from a decent home. She will be garaged down in Kent with in-laws and used when I come back to the UK, no doubt family will give her a run around for me also. Its hopefully a long term buy for myself for when I move back sometime in the future.

Haven't actually seen her yet as the MOT being done, so will be when I am back for summer - can't wait.
Plus 2 owner
Southy1979
New-tral

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Welcome to the club!

If you are going to store it for a while I would suggest trying to get someone to syphon the fuel out.
Then run it until the carbs are drained. Alternatively replacement treatment "allegedly" stops the fuel degrading

Tell them they can keep whatever they remove?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: