newbie with plus 2 to restore

PostPost by: elan66 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 pm

hi everyone,rejoining the ranks of lotus ownership,and bought the plus 2 that niagra was selling.I had a lovely red plus 2 years ago that i should never have sold.I had a" baby" elan :lol: which i loved, but i am really happy to now have a plus 2 (the good looking/handling elan :wink:).I really enjoy reading the posts and appreciate the great advice and hope to be able to drive you all mad with stupid and innane questions,(apologies in advance).
I hope to re-do the car in carnival red with black interior so will probably see if anyone wants an oatmeal interior for black interior swap.
The only major item missing is the cylinder head so if anyone has or knows of one for sale in decent nick,i would be most grateful.
I also have an old sunroof that needs o/haul,replace or imay try and re-instate roof.
Other than that it all looks like needing a complete overhaul,i would love to know what you have done in regard to front and rear shocks ie.standard/upgrade/adj.spring height platforms etc.
I will post some pics as i go,
many thanks
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:30 am

Salut Paul

Welcome to the forum I'm a Plus 2 owner as well, but I don't have any of the bits you're looking for - except perhaps a cylinder head (Stromberg including carbs) but it's in France.

Haope you get it back on the road soon.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi Paul, and welcome back to elan ownership.
I am also restoring a Plus 2 and am almost at the exciting stage of putting back the engine & gearbox into my new rolling chassis.
I (like so many) have fitted Tony Thompson front damper / springs that I got from Susan Miller. For the rear, I fitted Gaz top adjustable inserts with standard springs. If I could have stretched to it, I would have fitted Spyder drive shafts but settled for 4 new rotoflex couplings.
If I would offer one piece of advice, it would be to never assume what is already fitted is correct or working. I have found many bodges and mods of my car and double checking the manual, parts diagrams and this brilliant forum, I have learned well. For instance, my latest case was the handbrake tree which was worn to hell with no thread and a cable clamped between two washers for adjustment :shock:
Don't worry about inane or stupid questions, I've probably asked most of them already :lol:
Look forward to some pics - take lots, they're a great reference for the future.
Regards,
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:08 pm

HI Vernon,
thankyou and greetings,i appreciate the thought but as i have the original dellorto carbs i am really keen to keep it original(ish).I hope to have it back on the road by the end of next year,(well at least its a plan :lol: )
Hi Kev,
thankyou and greetings too.Thankyou for the advice,i am like you,i try to take as many photos and make as many notes as i can,and even put tags on stuff.The PO didnt keep all the nuts and bolts on items, as i keep all fixings,not to re-use but just as reference so i can buy the right replacements.I will probably fit rotoflex as i liked them when i had them on my previous P2,but i realise i seem to be in a minority lol.
I would love to see your resto,i should be up your neck of the woods in about 3 weeks time,
many thanks
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: