Just bought an elan S4 FHC

PostPost by: viper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi
Avid car fruit cake and just bought my/our first Lotus ever.

Bought as a running car which needs help. The idea is to strip it and restore completely with my 16 yr old Son to give him an insight into restoration and a greater understanding of cars in general

We're going to need your help as I have never even looked at one before let alone restored one and although relatively simple I like to make sure a car goes back together with originality in mind using correct items.

It's a 71 SE in red but its original colour was sand (Not my fave so maybe originality is not so important) :D

First job is to get it stripped and body off.
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Viper, and welcome to LotusElan.net. Congratulations on your purchase. I'd stick with red or another popular colour that suits the Elan, I really do think Sand is the worst colour for the Elan, in fact there aren't many worse colours out there, apart from some of those metallic poo colours that are creeping back in, especially on Audis. Originality is great, but this is your car and you are paying handsomely for the respray, so paint it in your choice of colour. Just my two-penneth and my favourite Elan colour is Pistachio Lime Green so my taste may be questionable!
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the Nutters Club.

It will be an interesting experience for your son and yourself to work with a glass-fibre body on a chassis, a unique style of chassis at that, all of which is quite unlike anything else from its period and since, apart from later Loti.

Drive it a bit first to understand why people want one so much and then get a Lotus Workshop Manual which describes how the factory thought it went together. Use the Search on this site, persevere with it, for specific and detailed information as most subjects have been covered several times. There are other books but most are extensions to the Manual.

You can Google for suppliers of bits and reputable ones that spring to mind are Fibreglass Services , Mick (Sue) Miller, Paul Matty, Kelsport (was Kelvedon Motors). Everyone has their favourite though not all of them have a Website. Parts do come up on eBay but make sure you understand what you are buying.

Enjoy! I have, most of the time, for several decades.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Thank You Guys

It's currently red and it's a good colour for sure.

I've driven it briefly and it feels lively enough but there's no MOT and not work getting things sorted only to rip it apart but all the mechanicals seem ok though I will rebuild the engine.

I know forum rules stipulate searching for info on here but often what keeps these places alive is new members getting a chance to respond to issues raised again but maybe for their first time.....Plus I'm rubbish at searching and that's my excuse.

Anyway I will strip the body and all it's bits before attempting to remove the chassis.
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Where in Kent are you ?
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:Where in Kent are you ?

Sevenoaks but near to Tonbridge

You?
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sundaydriver » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi Viper,

I'm a newbie to the forum , and not yet an owner, cracking purchase , I'd vote pistachio
too !!!
On Searching the forum randomly, I found best way to be via gallery pics , then click on the text Below the pic to dig out the thread :-)

Looking forward to Dad & Lad updates.
Sundaydriver
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:40 am

hi viper and welcome!
from what I read on this forum, it is very wise to take lots of pics before dismantling [especially if your memory is as bad as mine]!!!

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 am

Welcome, of course. Re. the search facility; I do use it but usually find a specific request turns up more irrelevant posts than relevant. Just ask the question, only curmudgeons will suggest you should have searched and there aren`t any of those.............now!
Not only that, nice people, Elan people, jump at the chance to reciprocate with some advice having benefited from other`s advice themselves.
Do post pics. we love `em.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 am

I'm also a newbie with a S4 Coupe and would just like to echo others comments on the value of this wonderful forum. I'd also suggest the purchase of the Workshop Maual, Parts List and Brian Buckland's excellent 'Workshop Addendum Manual'. I use the site's search facility a lot - it doesn't always answer my query but it always provides excellent and informative reading!
Have fun, and Welcome!
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Viper - Edenbridge. drop me a pm if you want to catch up.

A couple of us belong to Club Lotus & we meet at the Plough Hildenborough 2nd Wed every month. If the sun's out next week my ?lan should be there.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:23 pm

If It is a running, licenced car, I suggest you just drive it and let you son drive it for a month or so before you start dismantling.

You will then have the memory of what you are trying to do.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks Chaps

I have bought the Workshop manual but also looked on here to see how easy it is to remove the Chassis.

I'd love to drive it more before dismantling but theres too much that needs doing for MOT.

This looks to be a great forum I'd say and I'm not new to forums as I am on many for lots of different cars.

richardcox_lotus wrote:Hi Viper - Edenbridge. drop me a pm if you want to catch up.

A couple of us belong to Club Lotus & we meet at the Plough Hildenborough 2nd Wed every month. If the sun's out next week my ?lan should be there.

Richard.....This is so close to me so weather permitting I'll be there, Might even wing it and bring the Elan. :shock:

Any way a couple of pics

My Son driving around the garden

viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fireblade » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi viper

I have just joined Lotus Elan.net and have recently purchased my first Lotus.
69 Elan S4 SE DHC Lotus yellow which I am currently working on. My aim is to restore it back as close as I can to
its original condition. I am gradually building up my Elan knowledge and find this an invaluable Website.
i am in Tunbridge Wells. Send me a pm and perhaps we can catch up sometime.
fireblade
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: