Looking for my first Elan DHC

PostPost by: Type28 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a Elan DHC. I Live in Scotland , but will travel for correct car.
Ideally I would like a running car I can improve on but will consider any DHC.

I am a bit of a Lotus enthusiast , I have a Mk1 Lotus Cortina that I have restored and am just finishing a Thames 400e Van, that will be a re-creation of the Team Lotus service vans.

I feel my next car needs to be a convertible, I have only been in a convertible a few times, but would love one for the few sunny days I could get the roof down, although my best memory of driving a convertible was through Glen Coe one March ,with the roof down and the snow starting to fall.......magical.

Any help tracking down a car would be appreciated.
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 am

Welcome to the forum, and you won't be disappointed with the Elan!

I've had Lotus Cortinas and Elans for well over 30 years, and I can still remember the thrill of driving an Elan for the first time after being used to the Cortina. I think that I spent the first 5 miles zig-zagging along the road as the steering in the Elan is so responsive by comparison, and the performance is like adding another 40bhp to the Cortina!

I think that you should try and focus in on the model you like the best, as the S1 & S2 are very similar to each other, but quite different to the S3, and that in turn is quite different to the S4 & Sprint, which are also quite similar to each other. So essentially, 3 different types of car in 5 models. The Coupes are different again, and only made for the S3, S4 and Sprint models...but you said that you wanted a DHC.

The S1 / S2 models are quite basic, and all the more fun for that. You have to assemble the hood, the carpets are rubber, and the boot lid is cunningly designed to let in water. It doesn't have window frames on the doors. Think of it as the Pre-Aeroflow A Frame car...the original with a few quirky bits!

The later models are a little more refined, but for the sort of use most put their classics to, the refinement doesn't make a huge difference.

You will be surprised that there is better access to the carbs and distributor on the Elan than the Cortina (well, the engine was designed for the Elan!) and the rest of the car is very straightforward to work on, with a few quirks.

Rust, which is of course the constant nightmare with the Cortina, is a thing of the past on the Elan. If the chassis is rusty, throw it away and fit another one. It's easier to do that replacing the two subframes on a Mini, and gives a great opportunity to overhaul the rest of the mechanical bits whilst access is simplified.

Good luck with your search, and ask any questions you need to get to know what Elans are all about. If you're used to the secret world of the Lotus Cortina, you will find the free sharing of information on here very refreshing.

And if you need any more fixes on the Cortina in the meantime, check out my website on the car...the small 'world' symbol to the right of the screen under my name / posts / joined / location info.

Mark Kempson
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm

hi , 'no name' !? :lol:
welcome to the forum...I was in exactly the same position as you 6 months ago, also looking for a dhc..
I was impressed by the knowledge and enthusiasm of the guys on here, and you might want to have a look at this thread; introducations-f46/new-member-wants-dhc-project-t29141.html
I was lucky to be offered a S4 dhc uprated to sprint spec. by a really great chap [forum member] and although it was the first one I'd seen, I ended up buying it, and certainly no regrets.... ,
just one slight disagreement with mark......some things are not that easy to work on! [e.g. water pump, heater, etc.... :lol: ]
I presume you are looking in all the usual places [ebay, PH, classiccarsforsale, carandclassic, etc.]
It might be an idea to ask the chaps on here about any prospective purchase, and they will be happy to give you good advice, since if you are spending up to ?20k or more, you need to know that your money will be well spent!
good luck with your search!
:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: roblotus79 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi There,

This just appeared on Bring A Trailer. It is RHD and given the exchange rate, might be of interest.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/03/06/1967-lotus-elan-s3/

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4356240478.html
50/2180 1969 Elan Plus 2
1990 Esprit Turbo SE
1986 Carrera 3.2
1982 Turbo Esprit - SOLD
1970 Europa S2 - SOLD
roblotus79
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Fred- George here , pleased to meet you :D

Thanks for the repose to my first post and the warm welcome.
I have had a couple of PM's with the offer of cars, which has made me have a long hard think about the type of car I want.
In the past I have purchased complete running cars and used them for a year or two before stripping them to there component parts and rebuilding them- I get great enjoyment from this process and its part of my classic car ownership experience.
I have also decided that as one of the great joys of driving my Lotus Cortina is the induction noise from the webber carbs, I will be looking for an Elan with a webber head.
So basically I am looking for a complete runner , or non runner, but not a box of parts or stalled restoration. I need to strip the complete car to understand how it goes back together- a box of parts would be too daunting for me!
I keep you posted if something turns up and feel free to let me know if you hear about a car for sale.

Cheers

George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Waggie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Take a good look at the chassis numbers too, as there are plenty of Coupes with the roof cut off posing as DHC's...Look for a Type 45.
Good Luck.
Waggie
Waggie
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:34 pm

hello george....have you seen thiis one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-S4 ... 27e5642fbe

looks a bargain at that price......

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Fred

Saw that yesterday, but the pictures weren't posted. I have asked the seller a few questions.

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 pm

For anyone that?s interested the DHC in the post above is a converted FHC.

I think going on from a previous current active thread I fall into the originality camp- so it's not for me.

Something will turn up I am sure, it would be handy if it was near Edinburgh, but that?s asking too much. When I was looking for my Lotus Cortina I was down at Devon/Cornwall at least three times, Belfast once and the Midlands on many occasions- so I will travel :lol:

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Had my first go in a DHC S2 Elan today. Was passenger, but it was great fun.
It's strengthened my resolve to find a car. :D :D :D
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Philip » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Send me an email via the link (might not spot a PM) :wink:
Philip
New-tral

PostPost by: Type28 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 pm

I have finally got a Car! - A 1972 Sprint DHC :D . I thought I would find a car locally, but no luck.
This is my first purchase of a car from abroad. My car is on its way from USA and should be here by mid-November.
I have a mixture of excitement and dread, excited about getting the car and worried if it has any problems or gets damaged during transit.
I?ll post up some pictures when I collect the car. Can?t wait for the summer, but if it?s a mild winter and the roads have been salt free for a while it will be getting used!
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Well done George! Nice to see that you have selected the very best variety of Elan!

I look forward to learning more about it when it arrives on these shores.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Type28 wrote:I have finally got a Car! - A 1972 Sprint DHC :D . I thought I would find a car locally, but no luck.
This is my first purchase of a car from abroad. My car is on its way from USA and should be here by mid-November.
I have a mixture of excitement and dread, excited about getting the car and worried if it has any problems or gets damaged during transit.
I?ll post up some pictures when I collect the car. Can?t wait for the summer, but if it?s a mild winter and the roads have been salt free for a while it will be getting used!

Did you take your brave pills before deciding on a long distance purchase of this order?
One of the strange things about Elans is that they are cheaper to buy in the countries that they are rarer, which is to say anywhere other than the UK or maybe Japan where they are extremely highly cherished.
I also notice that originality is more prevalent outside of the UK, probably because only the hard core enthusiasts would have them exported at great cost whereas here in Blighty they became just another old sports car in the 1980s and were modded and prodded accordingly.
I wish you the very best of luck with your purchase and look forward to seeing it on here once it arrives.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Type28 wrote:I have finally got a Car! - A 1972 Sprint DHC :D . I thought I would find a car locally, but no luck.

Interesting... Is this a Federal Sprint or the British Sprint in Vermont that was for sale?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: