Expecting Delivery....

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:18 am

Keep going Mark! You know it's worth it. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks, will continue plodding forward.

Need to sort a oil leak that's leaking too much, hopefully reworking of the crank case breather will improve that. Then need to make a decision on tryes, the options in this part f the world seem to be very expensive, cheap Chinese or the wrong size. So will have do a bit more research and make a decision...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:57 pm

Well done, Mark, you have upgraded from Lotus Owner to Lotus Driver and may it getter better and better. Don't worry about oil leaks if they are around the front covers, they are difficult to make oil tight but you'll need a large drip tray.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks, unfortunately the oil leak is pretty significant leak, the kind that leaves you wondering how many miles you could drive before you run out of oil. If it was just a few drops of oil in the garage I wouldn't be worrying.

I've now fitted much larger pipe work for the crank case breather, so hopefully that will slow the flow down significantly and just make it a more minor annoyance.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Today is a big day for the Lotus, it is now road legal! I have registration sticker and licensee plate to fit.

It passed it's "inspection" a week and a half ago but because it was Property Tax time here I couldn't complete the registration with out spending a 1/2 a day waiting at the Tax office until today (a mere 1 1/2 hour wait).

The inspection was a joke, they only really walked around the car, looked under the bonnet for the ID. No brake tests, lights tests, horn test. Coming from the world of MOT test I think the inspection here is a joke and waste of time but this was even worse.

The larger breather did the trick for the oil leak, I am just down to what I believe is a rear crankshaft leak that isn't too bad. Still plenty of stuff to do, like getting 4th gear to engage, more fine tuning of webbers, fit out the boot...

Now I'll hopefully get to enjoy the car a little between jobs :).
Last edited by mbell on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Congratulations! Enjoy driving it.

Yes, compared to the MoT American state road worthiness tests are a joke :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:40 am

Because my Elan is registered in Pennsylvania as an antique, vehicle inspection is not required. However inspection of my work truck is very strict. Something for which I am grateful for. Since inspections in PA are carried out by private garages, much depends on the individual standards of garage owners and mechanics. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: