71 FHC Sprint Bob Skerritt

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun May 12, 2013 9:58 am

Hello fellows
Ive been on the suspension posts sorting my nuts! but thought I'd introduce myself and my project.

Ive a feeling I'll be talking to you all quite a lot over my car!!! Just thought I'd post an overview of its state and history:
It is a 71 Elan Sprint FHC. I purchased it in 1973, so have owned it for 40 years! I took it off the road in 1975 at 32k Miles, to satisfy a rather childish whim. I wanted to have Woolfrace alloys on the car! I bought a set but when I came to fit them, found that they fouled the wheel arch. Since I also had an Elan black badge at the time, I thought i'd strip the rear suspension to see what could be done. I then got distracted by a female, and the sprint went into the garage. Fortunately, I did not change the suspension in any way and I grew out of the Wolfrace alloy phase.
Three marriages, two children, and a career later, Ive started the restoration again!
In the intervening years, all forty of them, I have done various jobs as I could whilst husbanding and fathering.
The car is totally stripped and is in a mass of labelled boxes.
In 1991 I purchased a new galvanized steel chassis from Lotus, this was etch primed and painted black. I bought a new chassis because the original was rusty (not rotten) but I wanted a pristine unit. I sold the original to another Lotus nut.
Every component to the level of nut bolt and washer has either been totally restored of replaced with genuine Lotus parts. (I was fortunate enough to have a relative who worked at Lotus who could get me parts at a substantial discount)
As I said, the car had covered 32k miles, not a lot, but I used to "use" it, so I decided to totally rebuild the mechanicals as well. The Engine, my favorite labour, was stripped and refurbished, machining an balancing by QED, assembly and titivating by yours truly. Gearbox was striped cleaned and reassembled, as was the diff.The brake calipers and servo were stripped re-plated and rebuilt, new discs fitted and Tony Thompson drive shafts replace the donuts. The suspension has all been powder coated and rebuilt with all new bushes and the shockers and strut inserts replaced.
All mechanicals are complete and ready for re-installation.
The body had never been so much as scratched, but had acquired the usual stone chip stars in the wheel arches. This was stripped and all the Lotus underseal removed. The body is now stripped into component parts and naked ready for the respray I promised it. This will be done in July this year.
The trim needs work. The drivers seat is the worst as a part of the internal wire frame has broken at a weld and has forced its way through the squab. I will need to re-carpet the entire car, and replace the door cards as the previous owner cut rough holes in them for speakers.
The original steel wheels need attention, two have rim kerb damage and I want to get them all checked straightened and repainted. I have purchased new spinners since the ears on the originals were bruised.
The original dashboard had the veneer de-laminated, so I bought a new replacement.
All instruments have been refurbished and calibrated, and new screen rubbers purchased.
Now its just time to reassemble, cold winters rheumatism and old age permitting!
Best to all
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am

Good luck with the rebuild. I look forward to reading your updates and photos are always welcome :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun May 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Well you asked for photos. This chassis has just been uncovered after 12 years...note the dust!
Attachments
Rear NS strut assy 1.JPG and
And finally, here's the one I'm trying to get in!
Rear OS Suspension assy 2.JPG and
Here is the offending article that caused me to shout for help. Strangely, the nut I had fitted perfectly on this strut, but I have two nuts which are useless, I have finally confirmed that the threads on the struts are 11/16
Diff assy in Chassis.JPG and
Diff is in Chassis, what a pig of a job, it took me ages. The dff was completely stripped checked re set with new seals by Tony Thompson. He wanted to sell me a Mag diff assy but I resisted since I just want an original road car.
Front OS Suspension 2.JPG and
The front shocks are Spax adjustables
Front OS suspension 3.JPG and
Front suspension assembled onto car about 20 years ago
Front OS suspension 4.JPG and
Will have to do a bit of dusting! Note the unused 35 year old wolfrace!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Welcome!

40 years as a project takes some beating. Looks good!

Can I have the old carpets?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 am

It's looking good Bob, now the easy bit the body haha!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun May 26, 2013 9:09 am

AHM wrote:Welcome!

40 years as a project takes some beating. Looks good!

Can I have the old carpets?

The only carpets I have remaining (I think!) are the side panels, and the rear bulkhead which I will use as patterns
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Are they the original loop pile stuff?

That is what I need to do some patching-up!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 am

Yeah theyre original, what I dont use I'll let you have as I restore.
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: