At long last, well nearly.

PostPost by: Esprit » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 am

Having been a Lotus nut for the last 30 years since purchasing my first Lotus 7 clone (Birkin) I have had two of these, but now have in my garage a 1984 Lotus Esprit Turbo, owned for the last 7 years and a 1987 Lotus Excel SE. which I have owned for 4 years.

I purchased the Excel whilst looking for an Elan +2. Well, looks like I have now found a 1968 Elan +2 for a reasonable price, but it is fitted with a Toyota 20 valve engine and has the incorrect rear windscreen, but looks. very good apart from those minor problems.

Biggest problem is living in a remote town in South Africa.and the availability of spares.

Will put a post and pictures up on the forum once it is home in the garage.

Greetings to all. Roger.,
Esprit
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Hello Roger and welcome to the forum, I don't know how well you know Elans but lots of advice here.
I lived in Gauteng for thirty years and bought Birkin kit chassis #002 and fitted a Lotus TC. I also had a couple of Europa?s then a couple of Elans which I brought back to the UK.
Are you a member of the TLR as there are a couple of guys who are into Elans but spare?s are a problem which is probably the reason the car no longer has a Lotus Twin Cam.
I cant remember a Toyota engined Plus Two but may have been done after I left or I never saw it, do you intend to go back to a Lotus Twin Cam as they are a bit scarce out there.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit » Thu May 02, 2013 5:11 am

hello Brian.

My first Birkin was chassis number 84004 but the car was manufactured with the Kent engine with a Richie Jute Cam and twin DCOE 40;s. Over 100 bhp on the rear axle, I brought the car over to the UK during 1986 and 1987 and went on a run with the 7 cub to Oulton Park and Cricket St. Thomas. At the time, I was also campaigning a Lotus 61 that I had bought in S.A.. I was living in Durban at the time. I sold the 61 in the UK and returned to S.A.with the Birkin. I eventually sold the 7 to a fellow in Jo'burg but missed it so much I purchased a 1987 model. Like a fool I sold it but started my affair with Esprit Turbos. Had two at one time, but sold the one to a previous owner of the car who had moved to Auckland.

I will give you some more info later.

Regards Roger.
Esprit
New-tral

PostPost by: Esprit » Thu May 02, 2013 5:11 am

hello Brian.

My first Birkin was chassis number 84004 but the car was manufactured with the Kent engine with a Richie Jute Cam and twin DCOE 40;s. Over 100 bhp on the rear axle, I brought the car over to the UK during 1986 and 1987 and went on a run with the 7 cub to Oulton Park and Cricket St. Thomas. At the time, I was also campaigning a Lotus 61 that I had bought in S.A.. I was living in Durban at the time. I sold the 61 in the UK and returned to S.A.with the Birkin. I eventually sold the 7 to a fellow in Jo'burg but missed it so much I purchased a 1987 model. Like a fool I sold it but started my affair with Esprit Turbos. Had two at one time, but sold the one to a previous owner of the car who had moved to Auckland.

I will give you some more info later.

Regards Roger.
Esprit
New-tral

PostPost by: Esprit » Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am

False start.

It would appear that the car had been extensively modified. Toyota 20 valve engine, incorrect rear window, heater removed, door handles removed, side vents removed, home made dashboard, I wish sellers were more honest, especially when you cannot travel the 1000 odd kms to inspect the car.

Oh well, will just have to wait until the right one comes along.
Esprit
New-tral

Total Online: