Please Introduce your self and welcome to LotusElan.net

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:39 am

OK now, My big mouth or fat fingers (both) have gotten me into trouble a couple of times it the last several weeks. There is an old Who Song the goes something like "who are you, woohoo woohoo, tell me, who are you, I really want to know, Who the Fu@% are you"
So any one care to talk a bit about your selves a bit before some more posts get deleted. I don't get to see or meet everyone on this forum and talk of number plates with letters in stainless and black don't cut it as Lotus talk in my narrow Lotus twisted brain. Anyone besides Russ and George building up a Twin Cam? Anyone do an engine swap other that all of those Zetec Plus2 things? I post a lot of crap here on Elans, Elite?s, Seven?s, Nine?s, even some Plus2 stuff (do you see a pattern here, older is better) and "you gave me no reply" for the most part. We don't seem to talk the same language or have the same interests or think the same things are funny. So Rob an I have Buried the Hachette (in my skull) and we seem to understand one another much better, Jason and I had a couple of messages back and forth and its seems a bit better but we still need to work on it a bit more. It seems Like John has taken the bait and I need to have a few emails to straighten that out. More is coming for sure. So help me here, I don't have a clue on who the OOP's are you? "No reply" is not an option from my perspective, to me that will be the same as FOB and that?s not a shipping term. I guess if I can't figure it out I'll be moven on to some other venture. It?s probably going to happen sooner or later anyhow "but I'd like to get to know you if I could"

So I'm Gary E. Anderson, the E is Elwood, after my Fathers brother killed in a hunting accident, not married, no kids, nearly died before I was 21 in a Jeep accident, lost my left leg below the knee. I had a couple dollars left after paying off the hospital bills and bought an S2 Elan the was burned slightly (small carb fire) with the remaining insurance money. I got it running and drove it for a week but the screen was cracked and needed a new one for the semi-annual car inspection in Massachusetts. Bought a new screen for an S2 and when it arrived guess what, an S2 screen is a type 36 or type 45 not a type 26 which is an S1 screen (Burned and learned). So I ended up walking for a while. Got a new screen and the Elan was running real good and trumpet nut came loose and imbedded itself into number 4 piston. Engine apart for a couple of days and along comes a huge ocean storm, worst in 80 years and drowns the Elan with the head off, oh ya, that new screen is laying on the floor in a million pieces. I went to work for Digital Equipment in 1980 and stayed till 1998 when it was bought by Compaq and they offered to let myself out the door. My Ex boss called me to do weekend baby sitting for another computer room and that ended in 2002 along with a shop that I was renting for 8 years but for another reason. The old rail bed went by the shop and they wanted to ?put a parking lot? where it stood for the renewed rail service to Boston. Beau showed up about the same time, he doesn't talk much but that?s a good thing. Been out of a real job since and not likely to get back to one again. So I been playing with cars since, mostly lotus but have others to. I think I have enough money to pay the taxes and eat peanut butter until I can collect a retirement check from the Feds, that?s if there is any. I?ve been selling a few Lotus parts and scrap metal to do anything other than eat lately but all of that is in the toilet at the moment So it lights out in Scituate when the sun goes down for the foreseeable future.

Gary Elwood Anderson
Last edited by garyeanderson on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:16 am

Hey Gary,

I check this site practically every day and I didn't even notice that there was some sort of dispute going on between you and other listers. I'll bet my sentiments are shared by most other listers as well. Maybe I don't look at the subjects that you get involved with. Who knows? All I can say is, whatever you may think is going on is not even noticed by the vast majority so don't lose any sleep on it. I for one, welcome your knowledgeable input.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:40 am

Frank Howard wrote:Hey Gary,

I check this site practically every day and I didn't even notice that there was some sort of dispute going on between you and other listers. I'll bet my sentiments are shared by most other listers as well. Maybe I don't look at the subjects that you get involved with. Who knows? All I can say is, whatever you may think is going on is not even noticed by the vast majority so don't lose any sleep on it. I for one, welcome your knowledgeable input.

Hi Frank

I have seen your name around for years, read your posts for the most part and enjoy some of your thrift inspired posts too. Sometimes I think you ought to treat your Elan some extra love but it?s your car so you need to do what you have to.
The stuff between me and Jason ain't much, but when I point out something to someone and a third party tells me "its ok, Frank won't mind, well there I go...
Anyhow I did and went on a bit too much and Jeff saw it and it was gone in the time it took to toss a slime ball. I still don't think Jason understands what the "third man in" rule is in hockey is maybe Bill Rathlef can explain it a bit better than I.
The other rift was a misunderstanding with Nigel is more of a problem I have of understanding the written words of English without any facial emotion attached and he emailed me to fix straight off. The posts were edited and all is good.
John and I do not have a problem, and my brit ratio comment isn't/wasn't meant to be a negative comment. Just to get a more balanced and greater involvement of those that used to contribute to the forum that seemed to have left since the Elise was introduced in the U.S. and Canada.
Ed and I have certainly had our words, notice ho he doesn't give the 26r stuff (I am kidding Ed) any more. I guess we go back at least to 2000. We talked a bit on the phone when he first got his Elan, I was supposed to stop at Ed?s and look at it when I picked up the ugly flared Coupe north of Toronto. I didn't get a message from the guy I bought it from and sat waiting in front of the sellers house for 4 hours while he was waiting where the Coupe was stored and it screwed up my schedule. I ended up heading straight home in the morning for the 10-hour drive home. So far the introductions are from those that I know, what about all the new folk that have recently gotten involved and bought a Elan or plus2. Lets introduce ourselves, I have emailed a few people about thread drift, searching for previous topics on the same subjects, Off topic subjects, multiple new topics in a 15 minute spread, pushing other slightly older ones off of the current front page to be forgotten. I know its not my forum and I am not a moderator but I contribute a bit so I will and do say something?s about what I perceive as unacceptable practices I see occurring.

So tell me, who are you.

26 views and 2 replys so far is starting to tell me this is going to be a bust, I sure hope not.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 am

Ian Walker here from the middle of England.Purchased my first Lotus,a plus 2 about 2 years ago.Along life motorbike man i own a triumph rocket,ducati monster and a few bits of others im working on.Iservice my Plus 2 myself and do simple tasks and visit a garage for a yearly check and mot.
May i suggest you guys take a chill pill? I visit here to chat and learn not to listen to bickering.

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:40 am

Hi Gary

Gordon here in Sunny Sydney

Used to race a PRB clubman in the late 80's early 90's joined the local Lotus club and always lusted after a S1 or S2 with the fat guards and big motors which back then were driven regularly by several.
Roll forwards close to 20 years I sell the Volvo and go searching for an elan only to find where had they all gone....2 years later on after driving a borrowed Daihatsu Charade and cycling to work before I found my s2 and managed to wrangle from the PO and get on the road again.
Interesting process buying an elan, PO is now a good friend, I learnt a lot and had a lot of fun putting it together though my wife was pulling her hair out with the delays
No more racing for me, just love to drive a car the same age as me, wind in the hair, smile on my face (so long as nothing breaks) and loving it. Drive it daily and still get a buz out of it
Interestingly I now know of quite a few elans in Australia, most off the road, no idea where all the others went but I guess when they were all around in the late 80's the owners were all in their 40's (me now) and now they are 60 something and....

cheers
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 am

rocket wrote:Ian Walker here from the middle of England.Purchased my first Lotus,a plus 2 about 2 years ago.Along life motorbike man i own a triumph rocket,ducati monster and a few bits of others im working on.Iservice my Plus 2 myself and do simple tasks and visit a garage for a yearly check and mot.
May i suggest you guys take a chill pill? I visit here to chat and learn not to listen to bickering.

Ian.

Hi Ian

I just love Ducati's and old Triumphs, I think that the Rocket is the new one right? It to bad that bikes and I don't work well together any more, there are so many good ones today.

ps - I think you missed the smiley face at the end :)
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 am

OK, here we go...

I'm 43 and have been playing with cars as long as I can remember. My first tyre change at the side of the road was on my mother's Morris minor when I was 7. The first car I worked on a lot was a 1974 Mini Clubman which was again initially my mother's but I inherited and ran for about 10 years with a couple of engine rebuilds along the way.

From around 1983 I got interested in Kit cars, which were a bit of a craze in the UK at that time. My first was not really a kit but a set of plans for a Jeep lookalike with aluminium and plywood body on a Herald chassis. Engine gearbox and all suspension were completely rebuit. The body would fill with water in the rain and took a lot of drying out to stop it rotting - I remember telling myself "this is the last time I build a wooden car ...". To save money I only bought one large reel of wire and did the entire loom in 1 colour. It took about a year to build and then was used for about a couple of years but was taken off the road when I had to get a real car. It was parked for 20 years and then restarted for a final time before being dismantled a couple of years ago.

My second self-build venture was intended to be a sportscar, with a steel spaceframe I designed and built, and aluminium body, GT6 engine and front suspension, independent double-wishbone rear suspension with (front) Mini uprights and fixed GT6 diff. I got it to the point of driving, but never got very far with the bodywork, and the project died once work commitments took over. I still have the chassis.

In the kit car mags at the time I remember seeing the first Spyder Elan coversion - I thought it was a fantastic-looking car but was way out of my student budget.

After that there were the "dark years" - work, then family commitments, stopped me having any real projects, but instead I maintained a growing collection of friends and family cars - lots of cutting, welding, general servicing and the odd engine or gearbox rebuild. My own cars went from Mini to Triumph Acclaim (bought with the engine entirely dismantled and stored in the boot), Mazda 626 (died after a shunt), Audi 100 (died from multiple component failure), to Volvo estate (bought for 7 seats). In the meantime, my only classic car involvement was helping my brother-in-law with rebuilds of TR5, Sunbeam Tiger and MkIV Cobra.

So then 2 years ago my father-in-law died. In his will he left me some money, with the condition that I had to spend it on a classic car. So out came the classic car magazines. I was very familiar with the Triumphs but thought they were too agricultural. Healeys likewise, but too expensive. E-type iconic but again too expensive and ostentatious. I thought back to the Elan and knew that's what it was going to be - inspired design and minimalist engineering. Although I was looking for a Sprint initially, I went to see the S1 and was taken with the purity of it. It was already restored (although mechanically more like "reassembled") so not a big project - it fits in the garage and fits around family (now 2 girls, 13 and 10) and I'm very happy with it.

For anyone at Goodwood this weekend I'll be there on Friday and Sunday parked on the Lavant bank if you want to drop by.

Paddy

PS. On the subject of participation in the forum and contribution: as internet forums go this one is balanced, tolerant and polite, without the ignorant, opinionated, egotistical or bigoted participation you get on many others. Lets not spoil that by getting too picky about etiquette or too introspective. I appreciate all replies to questions and reciprocate by answering questions where I can. If I've offended anyone by missing an explicit "thanks", I apologise. I will just take people as they come and hope they do the same for me. And sorry for being a Brit :)
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:57 am

Started life in South London, when I was 17 had my first car a Ford Popular 100E which needed a new engine. Had a friend of my Uncle change the engine while I watched his every move ?..and I thought that looked easy!
Next was a 1956 Ford Thames Van that I restored. I ran the two cars for a while before a friend at work showed me his Ginetta G15. I bought one soon after (selling the Van) and changed the chassis in my parent?s tiny front garden, having the family lift the bodywork on and off!
Sprinted it a few times but I had a nasty spin at Goodwood after upgrading the engine to Twin 40s + R20 cam etc and felt it was too much to lose.
Sold the Ford Popular 100E and bought and sold a Hillman Imp Californian in the mean time
17 years of Ginetta ownership later I had to sell it for our move to France to get out of the hour long journeys to work and back stabbing politics of construction offices. We also wanted a bit of a new challenge that a new country gives and a more pleasant place for our children to grow up! (I still regret selling the car a bit although registering the car in France would have been a nightmare).
Once things had settled here I had a yearning once again to buy a Ginetta. With two small children and a G15 being a 2 seater and not liking the G21 (Hillman Hunter based) opted for a Lotus Elan plus 2 instead! 2 years of Lotus ownership on and I love it! (Not sure that my wife loves it quite as much?)

Terry

Ps Do I have to change my name to John if I'm English?
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:06 am

this is a bit like Gary's Group Therapy.....
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:10 am

Hi Gary yes the rockets a modern Triumph,2300 cc triple makes a great cruiser.

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:41 am

gordont wrote:this is a bit like Gary's Group Therapy.....

Hi Gordon

Well maybe the case but when you walk into a room full of folks introductions are a good way to break the ice. On this forum the first post from some is "I bought a Lotus and its broke, I need help". I consider you all friends. With friends, you may not see them for 5 or 15 years but you start to talk and you pick up right where you last saw them, no need for formalities you, know Who they are. Not so here, this is a world wide forum, folks that don't recognize that fact and don't put a location in there profile havn't a clue. If you are looking for parts or service, it helps people figure out if they shoud post a reply or not. If you want something done like machine work well what good is it for me to say I have had good work done at manchester machine in N.H. when your in Bombay, india or where ever. it may help someone but not the person asking the question. I don't want to be a prick but if you want some help there are folks here that can, but you have to start by giving us a chance to help you. That's what this is about. Its a difficult thing for many people just to help a total stranger and move on just know that they helped someone.

Hi Ian

My friend and I were just talking about the 3 cylinder lump, I believe he said Kieth Duckworth had a large hand in the development. I looked it up the other day and power and torque are as flat ast the earth was in the 15th century, very impressive.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:52 am

its still flat---its a disc but flat -- :? --ed
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 am

twincamman wrote:its still flat---its a dic but flat -- :? --ed

Hi Ed

At least its not all uphill, makes the pedaling acceptable to us one legged creatures

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Gary ,
Sorry , I'll be short .
Read the begining of that post , will end tonight , after work .
Seems we all have somethings to write , but in my case too long , difficult .
About me & "OEW" , I try to do a film of that started when I take her back to France , eventually translated in my english ...
http://www.club-lotus.fr/membres/les-bl ... n-barnaud/
As some others , I can't spend more than a day without visiting and allways happy to meet .
Christian.
Ps; Vanille say "hello" to Beau ...
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Since Gary introduced the middle initial in his opening post I will pitch in. I am Russell L. Newton with "L" representing the old family name of Lord. Yes, that was a tough middle name to leak out as a kid. However the family heritage did lead me to Lotus. My paternal grandmother's family included the Lords from Devon and surrounding counties. The family business, Lord's Cafe, is in Princetown in the shadows of Dartmoor Prison. It is still in business. At any rate the family connections made me think it would be a good idea to attend the University of Sussex for the first half of my senior year of college in 1973. My school, Tufts University had a faculty exchange program with Sussex so it worked out very neatly for transfer of course credits, etc. One day on the way to Sussex I saw a dark blue Elan +2 heading off in the direction of Devil's Dike and I decided that was the future for me (the +2, that is). I bought my +2 in 1977 after finishing graduate school and have driven 0170N for about 120K miles since then. The +2 is down now for new chassis, 1700 long stroke TC (with AX block thanks to Gary's house cleaning efforts) and Alan Voights / John Esposito five speed 'box conversion. Oh yes, Elite S2 1771 is also there waited for me to get off my butt and start sanding.
Attachments
DSC_0021.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: