Russia

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:07 pm

Kurt, I didn't realize Kiev was part of the areas that separated. I need to recheck my maps.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:02 pm

nomad wrote:It goes like this: "Don't bore me with facts, I've already made up my mind". :lol: Seems to hold true on this forum as well!

I think you'll find it quite a bit more wide spread that this forum, try the entire human race.

We had some bias type "training" at work a few years back, that turned out to be quite interesting and good at explaining why people don't change their position on items in response to new data and logic. The long and short of it is it a inbuilt survival mechanism, general reasons:
- Energy saving to just keep believing your current beliefs. rather than have to use your energy intensive brain to relearn when presented with new information
- Survival was tied to being in a tribe and well respected in the tribe, so better to fit in than to be right
- Enables quick decision if life threatening situations

So the human race is basically programmed to continue believing what they believe and seek information that confirms those belief rather than challenges them. Getting someone to change their believes is a long slow process....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:38 pm

nomad wrote:Rather elegantly stated, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzGDn0yDPk

A friend of mine and I have a statement we use when we can't reach an agreement in an argument. It goes like this: "Don't bore me with facts, I've already made up my mind". :lol: Seems to hold true on this forum as well!

A strange comment when you use Scott Ritter, who lives in a fact free world, as your example of why your position is correct and we should change our minds
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:01 pm

h20hamelan wrote:What would the sub genius do at a time like this

https://hourofslack.libsyn.com/

PRAISE B0B!!! I had no idea that those guys were still around but I'm glad they are! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:53 am

when the world/life gets you down, its all one really needs, eh Veg! :lol:
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:16 am

rgh0 wrote:
nomad wrote:Rather elegantly stated, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzGDn0yDPk

A friend of mine and I have a statement we use when we can't reach an agreement in an argument. It goes like this: "Don't bore me with facts, I've already made up my mind". :lol: Seems to hold true on this forum as well!

A strange comment when you use Scott Ritter, who lives in a fact free world, as your example of why your position is correct and we should change our minds

Sorry to be boring but i could not resist going back a year to the start of the Invasion and Scott Ritters version of the facts back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GkmdCaBECs

It has not aged well has it ?
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:27 am

I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker- ... on-ukraine

Says it all really!
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:36 am

AshleyPark wrote:I'm just going to leave this here:

Says it all really!

Yes in terms of saying it all ... it just shows that repeating the Kremlin story line for a year and pretending the forecasts you made a year ago based on Kremlin propoganda do not exist, is a recipe for media success among some in the USA.

I can add Tucker Carlson to the list of people who need to put together a compilation of their BS from the last year.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:48 pm

I think you’re losing it Rohan. Your only argument now seems to be to attack the people who say things that you don’t like or disagree with. Russel Brand, Scott Ritter and Tucker Carlson all being cases in point.

I feel far more inclined to believe their reasoned arguments to anyone who believes the nonsense that Russia blew up its own pipeline.
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:37 pm

AshleyPark wrote:I'm just going to leave this here:

Says it all really!

Surely you know who Tucker Carlson is and the on going at various libel court cases related to him and fox news? Or has that not made it to the UK?

The basic summary is:
- one defense from there own lawyers was he an opinion host and no sensible person would believe what he said
- current case they have evidence that shows he believed the exact opposite of what he was saying on his show

So I am not saying he is incorrect here (I am not wasting my time reading it) but for a large number of people Carlson and fox news is not credable source. So you would be better off using more credable sources.

Unless you want to use it as example of how the west media is corrupt. Then it's a a really good example.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:08 pm

Try reading it then, before shooting the messenger!
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:56 pm

My point is I am not going to bother reading as it's a waste of my time as it's not a credible information source IMO. So I wouldn't take anything in it seriously.

If you want me or others to take a serious look at your point of view it's critical to provide sources that are credible.

Tbh it's quite ironic that you highlight corruption in western media then go on to use probably the most widely known bias new sources in the USA to try back up your arguments.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:22 pm

My point is I am not going to bother reading as it's a waste of my time as it's not a credible information source IMO. So I wouldn't take anything in it seriously.

Are you having a laugh? How can you seriously comment on something you can't even be bothered to read?

And, when exactly did I "highlight corruption in the media"?

Get real.
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:44 pm

My Father always told me not to discuss Politics , Religion or Sex, especially in the pub.

This is probably why ….. Facts are Facts , opinions are opinions .

For many generations , especially so in todays world , where media is global and propaganda is rife, some factions/people are just not open-minded and intelligent enough to see the real story.

The sooner all this ends the better , with Russia being sent back over the borders to their own country and their megalomaniac leader exposed to the Russian people as such.

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:05 pm

AshleyPark wrote:I think you’re losing it Rohan. Your only argument now seems to be to attack the people who say things that you don’t like or disagree with. Russel Brand, Scott Ritter and Tucker Carlson all being cases in point.

I feel far more inclined to believe their reasoned arguments to anyone who believes the nonsense that Russia blew up its own pipeline.

You do realise how much Russel Brand makes from his Youtube channel ? According to this website it was $4m last year and whilst that might be top heavy, other sites have equally impressive amounts.

https://caknowledge.com/russell-brand-net-worth/#Russell_Brand_YouTube_Income

And he gets that by being controversial.

A bit like Jeremy Clarkson and his rants, he catches attention. And he won't do that by following the same path as the rest of the world, he's got to go wild on something. Even his presentation style is hyperactive and there's a reason for that.

And having watched the episode you posted and a couple of others from his channel, I'd hardly say he's in the category of "reasoned arguments".
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: