Oops!

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:37 am

Yesterday I had an oops moment when my +2 started misfiring on the way home, eventually cutting out completely.
In the heat of the moment out came the spare condenser to change it. When putting the fixing screw back it's easy to lose it through the square hole the condenser fits in on the action plate. If this happens do not turn the engine over!! You need to get that screw out. In my case I think it was the cause of my sheared distributor drive gear.

I called the AA and got towed home.

I've put my Powerspark ignition back and all seems ok. Lucky I had a spare distributor!

Has anyone else had an oops moment?

Dave Chapman
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:43 am

Seeing as I suggested it, I think that I should make a contribution.
I have a habit of accelerating out of a roundabout before being straightened up. I have always done that.
Once on a damp road the car spun and I could not catch it.
It came to rest against the kerb having bent the rear wheel. You may have seen my posts about straightening a steel wheel.
The battery had come loose and swung across the boot and then back again as I hit the kerb, punching a hole in the rear wing.
I did not know that the tyres were old. The tread was good and as I drove every day for work, I was not used to tyres lasting more than a year. On one of them I could not find a date. It may be from before tyres were dated!
A local body shop who do a lot of work on Lotus cars fixed the wing, including lining the inside of the wing right to the corners with a layer of fibreglass so that there is no sign of a repair.
I promise you the battery will not come loose again, you could probably lift the car with the battery!!
Those tyres may need to be replaced again soon and they still look new.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:53 pm

" Once on a damp road the car spun and I could not catch it. " , you were probably not far behind the HGV with no filler cap...

John ;-)

Been there, done that , got the T-shirt.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:03 pm

Thankyou John,
That is very good of you but I really do think it was all my fault by not replacing the tyres when I bought the car.
I had a lot of other things to do at the time. Considering it would barely pull itself along the road I was a bit busy.
I intend going to Tatton Park on the Saturday, but not if it is raining. If you can make it I will see you there.
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: