Garage floor covering

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:41 pm

Hello and a Happy New year to everyone

I am thinking of covering over my garage floor and am looking for advice & thoughts from anyone who has had recent experience doing this.

I am looking for something that will achieve a sound durable surface that's easy to keep clean and hard wearing, also easy to lay, low maintenance and doesn't cost the earth.

So tiles ceramic/porcelain or plastic/composite, paint anything anything else ???
Paul
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:25 pm

I used a 2 pack gloss grey after acid etching the floated concrete floor.
If your floor is smooth then paint is excellent.
I've had no issues with peeling paint off even after hot Avon ZZRs have rolled across it.
https://www.watco.co.uk/paints-sealers/ ... -paint?p=0
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:21 pm

661 wrote:I used a 2 pack gloss grey after acid etching the floated concrete floor.
If your floor is smooth then paint is excellent.
I've had no issues with peeling paint off even after hot Avon ZZRs have rolled across it.
https://www.watco.co.uk/paints-sealers/ ... -paint?p=0

That's what I have done also. Its hard wearing and makes cleanup of spills easy and also finding of dropped nuts and washers easy :)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 am

I added a Polymer grip aide to mine. So oil, water etc, its not slippery. Not as easy to squeegee, and sweep, but…i hate slipping.
Really, the sweeping is not so bad.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:38 am

h20hamelan wrote:I added a Polymer grip aide to mine. So oil, water etc, its not slippery. Not as easy to squeegee, and sweep, but…i hate slipping.
Really, the sweeping is not so bad.

This is one of the concerns I had about water or oil on the floor causing a fall. Is the polymer grip aid an additive or another layer of coating? Would like to learn more.

Thanks,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:47 am

I have recently painted a new concrete garage floor. The floor texture wasn't that smooth, so no grip enhancer was necessary. I used:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trad ... 5ltr/49596

Not as fancy as a 2 pack product, but indications so far are that is is durable. I gave the floor 2 coats with a roller, the first thinned (as per the manufacturers recommendations), the second coat un-thinned. I used approx 12 litres in total for a 5.5m square garage.

it is much cheaper than a 2 pack product, but does need a 7 day cure period.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:42 pm

Porcelain tiles work well.
Attachments
inbound1088694806257268454.jpg and
inbound1010917501292962930.jpg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:49 pm

Using porcelain tiles is great for a smart garage to keep the car, however if you work on the car, they are very cold in winter and they may crack if you drop tools on them
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:03 pm

Shark Grip is what I use, did my laundry room too.

Make sure your floor is extremely clean!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:43 am

@h20hamelan Thanks!
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWalker » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 pm

IMG_6852.jpg and
I used Rustoleum Epoxyshield Garage Floor Paint.

My garage floor is not all that smooth and was in a terrible state with oild etc in lots of places. I spend about 10 hours degreasing the floor with standard oil degreaser products and then grinded off splats of old paints with a stone cutting disk on my angle grinder. I made sure the floor was clean and dry then painted it.

Very happy with the final result; sorry the picture is the wrong war around (I can't see how to remedy this on the page)

Cheers
Tony
1967 Elan S3 S/E DHC
2011 Elise 1.6 16V
Audi A1
TonyWalker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:33 pm

TonyWalker wrote:
IMG_6852.jpg
I used Rustoleum Epoxyshield Garage Floor Paint.

My garage floor is not all that smooth and was in a terrible state with oild etc in lots of places. I spend about 10 hours degreasing the floor with standard oil degreaser products and then grinded off splats of old paints with a stone cutting disk on my angle grinder. I made sure the floor was clean and dry then painted it.

Very happy with the final result; sorry the picture is the wrong war around (I can't see how to remedy this on the page)

Cheers
Tony

Nice job of the wall, Tony

:lol: :lol:
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:24 pm

Hello again

A big thanks for all your replies, it seems as though an epoxy paint finish is the way to go. My garage floor area is approx. 5mts x 6mts, sound with some wear and with a slight slope from back to front, so not sure about a self levelling medium. It seems to have been sealed with something in the past so hopefully it will degrease/clean up okay. I just want to avoid anything that will lift away when a vehicle is driven out or blisters when wet for a period of time.

Best regards

Paul Chapman
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm

Personally I have yet to find any make of epoxy floor paint or otherwise no matter how carefully the surface is pre-cleaned or applied that doesn't lift or blister over time from either warm or wet tyres. :(

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:09 pm

alanr wrote:Personally I have yet to find any make of epoxy floor paint or otherwise no matter how carefully the surface is pre-cleaned or applied that doesn't lift or blister over time from either warm or wet tyres. :(

Alan.

The Watco one I have has not lifted in 9 years. As said, that's with hot Avons running over it that were on the Exige.
When I suggested the floor should be 'smooth', it doesn't need to be mirror finished.
Small indents will fill.
If you are considering Watco, I'd phone them and ask what they recommend for preparation. I found them very helpful. It's not cheap, If I recall I needed 2 tins of about £120 each and a small amount for the acid etch.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: