Uk Clean air legislation

PostPost by: miked » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am

Can the more well read please chip in?
Signs have gone up on the border near me between Cheshire and Manchester. I cross it regularly for many reasons. Family visits being main one followed by shopping etc etc.
I started to read up and go on the dvla site and I see there are classifications of A, B, C and D.
Clean vehicle compliance appears to be post 2016 - Euro 6 (adblue - pig wee) type engines for diesel and Euro 4 for petrol (earlier year, forgot which).
I know historics over 40 years are exempt.
I see that May 22 Manchester goes to stage A. Then June 23 goes to stage B.
Ramifications on business vans and taxi's etc in 22, but private vans in 23.
Cars appear to be only impacted in stage D.
Things seem quite quiet regards the inpact of stage B classification. Is it down to lack of people reading. Also will Stage D arrive and when as this messes with lots of people.
London is extra low emissions and is already on the go as I understand. Also Birmigham, Portsmouth and Bradford on the system to ramp into it.
Cheers Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 am

What do you want us to chip in with?

You are lucky that Euro4 is allowed! Here in France you are pretty well ostracised from cities with anything more than Euro3!

It is odd though that my Evora, that throws out 250g of whatsits is a Euro2 and my poor little 20 year old 65bhp Skoda truck that can barely pull skin off a rice pudding is Euro5 :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:19 am

[quote="miked"

Cars appear to be only impacted in stage D.
Things seem quite quiet regards the inpact of stage B classification. Is it down to lack of people reading. Also will Stage D arrive, and when, as this messes with lots of people.[/quote]

Seems like an invitation to comment, if you care to read it properly.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:27 pm

I didn't know that Manchester was bringing in any restrictions / regulations, so I'd have continued using my 21yr old Land Rover that doesn't have any Euros at all to visit the area - until I was either stopped on the road or the fine / bill arrived in the post. And I suspect I'm not alone. People will continue to use their older cars on a daily basis until the inadvisability of doing so is made plain to them personally. If you have an older car that passes its MOT on emissions you're unlikely to take it to the dump on the basis of a few roadside posters. If you're faced with the prospect of not being able to use it / not able to afford to use it though, the loss of 'equity' may not be that great if, for example, it's an 18yr old Fiat Punto. It's the older, higher value, 'treasured' cars - like the Evora, or Porsches for example that are going to be the problem. But, I suppose, the thinking goes that if you have such vehicles a bit of pollution tax won't be that much of a burden.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:26 pm

Seems ignorance is bliss Michael ?!

When you take into account that a high percentage of private cars and vans will fall foul to the pollution tax its quite concerning.

Everybody will continue about there daily tasks until the £12,60 bills per day start to drop through the letter box, on top of £1.50 - £1.60 -£1.70 --- eventually £2,00 + per litre.

Progress ?

Mark my words , Classics will not escape un-touched by this new law.

Will we then hear cries by Government that the ' peasants are revolting ' !!!!!!!!!!!! ?
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Seems that way Greg.
I was looking at a little VW Caddy camper - 2008. Very nice vehicle. This is what set me off looking into this. And the newly errected signs. Bit of camping, days out and a daily driver. Then I read up on the implications. Hence the daily charge of crossing into the zone.
I have nothing that is non complaint. If I did, I dont think I would be rushing down to the scrap yard just yet. As Greg says, this will have impact even before going to the D classification to encompass cars, if I am reading it right.
I believe letters are already dropping through letter boxes from the DVLA for vans that do not meet the standards.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:30 am

It has already affected me, I live just about 300 yards INSiDE the North circular Road in London, if I take my diesel Renault Grand Espace off my drive it costs me £12.50.

Though my Elan is exempt, Alas I cannot get my Elan out of the garage without moving the Espace out of the way, onto the road first; the front yard is too narrow for both.

Insurance requires that the Elan is garaged.

:( :( :(
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:00 pm

billwill wrote:It has already affected me, I live just about 300 yards INSiDE the North circular Road in London, if I take my diesel Renault Grand Espace off my drive it costs me £12.50.

:( :( :(

Bill, Shirley not! where's the nearest camera, is it outside your house? :lol:

I have been affected by the expansion of the ULEZ charge in that I often visit a supplier in Charlton which means I have to cross the zone at some point to get to him, costing me £12.50 per day trip for using my planet killing diesel VW Golf.

It seems really odd to me that a 7 year old vehicle (My golf is 2014) should effectively be priced off the road, but that it's encouraged that I buy a new vehicle which will produce 10 tonnes of greenhouse gas before it's even turned a wheel. It would take over 60,000 miles for my Golf to emit 10 tonnes, it's only done 45,000 in 7 years.

London is trying to solve it's air pollution issues, which are serious, but I also think that London is trying to fund it's transport infrastructure by this punitive tax.
All the cash raised from ULEZ charges will be ring-fenced by TfL in order to fund low-carbon and efficiency upgrades to the capital’s bus, tube, bicycle and rail networks.

I will be reading the accounts when they are published Mr Khan!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:26 pm

It's all about raising money like:
The car free zones patrolled by cameras and issuing big fines
Cancelling free public transport on New Year's Eve
Cancelling Freedom pass use on buses before 9am for the elderly, a temporary change while we had fewer buses during Covid that has become permanent.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: