America Votes! Civil war predictions

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:12 am

Seems gun sales are the highest ever in the last few weeks.
Don't think any of the minorities are being heard.
All the recent deportations of Haitians etc...Wow. Tough times for our friends.

In Canada, we will be living with the economic down-turn from whatever happens.

Best wishes and Love to all you good and kind folk, in what was the Good Old US of A
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate your kind words. These are not the best of times for the USA and many other places.

Stay safe, wherever you are.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:10 am

Biden 264 nearly there for the needed 270.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 am

You just knew that Trump wouldn’t be a gracious loser didn’t you!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:32 am

elanfan1 wrote:You just knew that Trump wouldn’t be a gracious loser didn’t you!

But he has God on his side a true Christian Crusader.
Who built Trump Tower with money from the Russian Mafia. So they could buy Appartements in his Trump Tower to Launder their money :shock:
When he had a plan to build a Tower in Moscow he offered Poutin an Appartement free so he could get the Planning Permit to build :shock: :shock:
Well i'm pleased i got that off my Chest :lol:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:24 pm

When I need a laugh, me’s thinks about if he sat on his inheritance. He would be far richer.

He will be audited, hopefully on evasion.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:52 pm

That's true if he continues not to pay Tax like the last 10 Years.
But he is a Megalaman and if someone has different ideas to him that means they are against him.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:29 pm

elanfan1 wrote:You just knew that Trump wouldn’t be a gracious loser didn’t you!

No, I doubt he will be, too - though it should be remembered he hasn't lost YET. I suspect he will lose, but transparency and counting legitimate votes is more critical than who wins or loses, and there are some real concerns in my opinion. On the other hand, it is also a question whether those concerns are material enough to change outcomes.. I'll hold my judgment on how he handles losing once actual votes are announced and courts have their say.

In full disclosure, I didn't vote for Trump and have had a visceral distaste for him for 25+ years, but when I thought the Senate was likely to flip Democrat I would have preferred a Trump presidency over a Biden presidency as I greatly feared the economic hurt fully blue legislative and executive branches could have put on this country at this highly polarized and divided moment. Now, though I don't like Biden and didn't vote for him either, I think there is more chance for middle of the road leadership with Biden and a split legislature.

Unfortunately, we've now had 2 presidential elections in a row where our primary parties and nomination processes have given us candidates that I can't vote for regardless of their politics because they can't even cross the most basic bar - would I leave them alone in a room with my wife, mother, daughter, or sister. It is a shame that even needs to be a bar for candidates for political office.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:01 pm

You could always wind the clock back 250 years and invite us lot back to take another crack at it for you.
You never know, you might learn how to make a decent cuppa...

Just Think of the advantages, you can share Boris & join in with Brexit :lol:

Best of luck though, I really worry for you & your fabulous country. Will be back when all the nonsense subsides.. I have grand canyon withdrawal symptoms..
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:54 pm

SENC wrote: I think there is more chance for middle of the road leadership with Biden and a split legislature.

My concern with such a situation is that everything will be grid locked for at least two years, more likely four. Which will just promote more finger pointing and blaming the other side. Creating an even more partisan divide and division in the country.

Sorting the partisanship and division is what needs to happen or this democracy in the country will be at high risk of a Trump V2 (which isn't necessarily a GOP person but could be a very left Democrat, e.g. Sanders) or bigger failure.

IMO The best outcome is simplify the one that reduces the partisanship and division. That obviously means getting rid of Trump. After that is probably a small senate majority to the Dems. Which will at least enable some stuff to happen (e.g. Covid stuff). The Dems are pretty poor at sticking together so probably wouldn't be able to push much through much and may even need GOP help on some stuff.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:14 am

Watching this from afar it’s hard to know how serious the divide is across the whole nation, and how much is the media focussing on specific areas of division.

As with all nations, there are specific areas of polarisation which have the effect of sparking countrywide conflicts. How this is resolved will take leadership. Do the candidates have what it takes ?

As for two candidates, they both have their issues. Trump on a personal level comes across as rude; misogynistic; a bully with an Ego the size of a planet. But he’s not afraid to take on vested interests or failing institutions. Biden seems a nicer person, but I’m unconvinced that he would have the will to push through necessary changes.

And the elephant in the room of course is their respective ages...... would either be able to serve a full term ?

As ever, we live in interesting times. Good luck to all those in the USA, and enjoy your Elans !

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:26 am

The one thing that amazes me, and perhaps an American friend can explain, is why in such a vast and talented country these two come up for election for President. Surely there are hordes of people out there that could do a better job?

I don't think Trump is going to be a good loser if that is what happens...................Good luck old friends.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:21 pm

TBG wrote:The one thing that amazes me, and perhaps an American friend can explain, is why in such a vast and talented country these two come up for election for President. Surely there are hordes of people out there that could do a better job?

I don't think Trump is going to be a good loser if that is what happens...................Good luck old friends.

was thinking the same thing....... living in the uk i don't have a horse in this race but with what should have been an easy win for the Democratic Party why have they backed a 77 year old who sounds like he has lost his marbles.Was there really no one better to run??

This sort of thing would worry me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj0DRjlfvhw

If Bidan is as bad as it would seem do you not worry who will be pulling his strings?? That said can't be any more of a clown than Trump??
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:52 pm

The counting of each and every vote has not finished yet. Wait until it's finished to get final numbers.
The postal votes are legal.
Boris has lost his chance of a special deal with Trump.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Yes, as the old Chinese curse goes, "may you live in interesting times". Boris may have had the Trump stamp of approval (but no trade deal) for our go-it-alone Brexit breakup, but from commentators I've heard discussing it over the last couple of months Biden takes the opposite view. He (they say) sees Boris as EuroTrump lite and now that we're no longer in a position to act as a US Trojan horse for all things European we're unlikely to be of much use to him. So a US-UK trade deal is likely to be close to the bottom of his in-tray, and then only likely to be pulled out on a dictatorial basis in about a year - after all the 'we won, you cheated, and we're gonna sue' cases have gone through. By which point it'll be time for the next round of campaigning to kick off.

My conclusion - the economy is what happens when the politicians are distracted by electioneering. We should have elections every six months to keep them out of our hair :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: