PO bodgery stories

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:33 pm

For the past 40 years, the bodges were by yours truly keeping his Elan running in spite of knowledge and lack of finances. The first three owners did some cruel things, mostly neglect.

The PO prior to me was an electrican. He didn't like the two 50 amp fuses protecting the entire car, so he installed a 10 circuit fuse block. Of course, he didn't label or document anything. It had no cover to protect it from the oil vapor and grime in the engine bay. At times this caused all kinds of maladies, particularly at night. In the rain...

During the first year, I spent months trying to understand why the windshield wipers would not turn off once they were turned on. This was embarrassing :roll: . The only way they would turn off would be to turn off the ignition, then restart. I was chasing an issue with the fuel gauge and discovered a white jumper wire from the instrument lamp switch terminal on the dash to a terminal on the wiper switch. I looked up the electrical diagram in the shop manual and could not find any indication of the wire. For some reason, the PO wanted to keep power to the instrument lights whenever the ignition was on.

I removed the jump wire and the wipers and instrument lights worked exactly as they should. :)
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: