How long before Hamilton / Merc gets handicapped?

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:33 am

The Ferrari Interest Association (AKA Ferrari International Aid) experimented a couple of races back with soft tyres.
That worked a bit but still the Red Tractors were too slow.

For the Italian GP only allow tyre changes if you have a red car?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 am

Great isn't it when Ferrari aren't even close. Magnificent history, but poor losers.

I'm prepared to be flamed :roll:

cheers
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 am

vincereynard wrote:.

For the Italian GP only allow tyre changes if you have a red car?

Not even sure that would help. Maybe they could buy a few engines from Mercedes. A couple of days to 3D print some new cam covers and nobody would know. Seemed to work for Tracing Point. That would get them competitive with Williams at least. :lol: :lol:

It's always a shame when a team falls on hard times for whatever reason but the current rules limiting upgrades / changes etc during the season isn't helping. It's great if you're frozen into a winning setup - like Mercedes - but not if your engine or chassis has its shortcomings pointed out early in the season. I can understand why those rules were brought in but this is an example of why you should be careful what you wish for (always assuming Ferrari have the answers waiting in their workshop).
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:54 am

They have been mollycoddled for far too long. Hugh extra money for them to keep them in the game. Arrogance has a nasty taste when it fails.

Remember Mercedes are built in England at Brackley.............Brilliant. :D :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:12 am

69S4 wrote:It's always a shame when a team falls on hard times for whatever reason but the current rules limiting upgrades / changes etc during the season isn't helping. .

Allegedly it is their own fault. As they were cheating with last years engine they designed a car with large drag overcome by their power advantage.
1/ This spurred Mercedes / honda etc into furious development to increase their power.
2/ Lumbered Ferrari with the double problem of lack of power AND high drag. Such a shame.

Imagine if McLaren was found with illegal engine setup. All Ferrari gets is a slapped wrist.

How long ago was it they were found to have illegal software that they promised (fingers crossed) they had never used. As if!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Apart from Williams, the 6 slowest cars on the grid at Spa had Ferrari engines (Alfa, Ferrari & Haas). :D

I am amazed Binotto is still there.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wolfchen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm

i think that MB will leave the sport, they have won everything and the market benefits are dubious going forward,
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm

Anyone know what the Ferrari cheat was last year? I have heard that they were burning engine oil as fuel...

Totally unacceptable that it was a "private" settlement between the FIA & Ferrari, transparancy is needed in sport. No doubt influenced by Jean Todt as president of the FIA & ex Ferrari team leader :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Just like football, no longer a sport but a business....
Bring back the '60's...

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Burning engine oil was a common trick, not just Ferrari. Stopped by FIA.
Last year's Ferrari foible was a smart way to overcome the fuel flow limitation. It seems it might or might not have been illegal, but the FIA banned it anyway. I guess Ferrari didn't have time to develop an alternative.
No sympathy, they have been the favourite child for too long. Thanks again, Bernie.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Maybe drivers should change teams cars every race, then its about the driver
Or all have the same car

I was very hopeful this year would be better and more competitive. Probably 2021 changes will help.
Suppose we are lucky to have any racing this year
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:55 pm

wolfchen wrote:i think that MB will leave the sport, they have won everything and the market benefits are dubious going forward,

I've wondered that. I don't think they'll do anything until Hamilton has achieved his all time greatest target - end of next year the way things are going. It does depend on economics ultimately though and with the expenditure cap bring cost down a little maybe they'll be tempted to keep going. I wonder how much longer Hamilton is going to stick with it - once he gains the GOAT accolade the only way is down and eventually his enthusiasm is going to wane. The last thing I'd want to see is him going the way of Valentino Rossi in Moto GP - once untouchable and now it's a rare race when he makes the podium. Next year he's down to one of the satellite teams.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:29 pm

TBG wrote:...

Remember Mercedes are built in England at Brackley.............Brilliant. :D :D

Yes, it sounds funny to keep hearing the German national anthem at the end.

John
Last edited by baileyman on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:32 pm

Looks like Merc (and the other panzers) may have other worries according to this reliability report.

Jaguar and Land Rover is expected but all the "prestige" makes in the bottom 8 - blimey !
I'd heard they were only built to last 3 years these days.

Reliability.pdf
(39.09 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm

I remember Ferrari struggling in the early '70s...a few "small" teams did better than Ferrari but Ferrari did bounce back and probably will again.

Even Hamilton is probably getting a little weary with the lack of competition from Ferrari, Vettel certainly is weary and LeClerc must be scratching his head.

"Okay, Plan A for both Seb and Charles, no, Plan B for Seb and Plan A plus Plan C for Charles. no, make that Plan B for both for 3 laps and then we will revise the strategy..."
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: