Lotus Exige with an Audi engine??

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Hoping someone here knows their Lotus' in particular the Exige and all its models...

Did Lotus ever power the Exige with an Audi TFSI motor and DSG box?

I ask because there is one advertised for sale in Germany. I always believed the Exige used a Toyota engine after the small Rover. the one for sale claims to be a 400ps car. Now the only Audi/DSG combination I know that produces 400ps is the 5 cylinder in the RS3. As I understand Audi, this is the one engine that they will not let anyone use, so I am suspicious that this is a factory car. Even if it is a private conversion, I would be interested as the road handling of an Exige with arguably the best motor/box of its size in the world would be a class car!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I am familiar with many S1 and S2 Exiges with Audi engines, some with over 600hp ( yes , that is correct)
All are obviously aftermarket conversions.
The power delivery of the turbo engines is arguably not to every drivers taste.
The probable source of a German audi conversion is Komotec.

Best place to ask about specific cars is on www.exiges.com
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks Graeme, that was going to be my next question - where is the equivalent forum to this one.

I shall certainly pop in there and ask Komotec. I agree that a 400ps turbo is going to be a handful, but as I am a committed Audi RS3 owner with a 500bhp engine, I am halfway there!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vali » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:30 pm

If you like the power and DSG of the Audi, then take it.
But handling will be worse than one with the Toyota or a Honda Exige as the weight of the Audi unit really destroys the balance of the car.
There had been Audi powered 2-Elevens from KomoTec which even had been converted back to the Toyota engine because of handling issues of the owners.
I know one who is regulary with his Audi 2-Eleven at Spa and he is telling he only can give full throttle on the straights, never in the corner.
And I believe the KomoTec Audis were 4 cylinders, not 5. Better ask KomoTec. :wink:
Vali
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks Vali. I did not give much thought to upsetting the balance, but I should have as you are right the Audi powerplant - even the 4 cylinder - is quite a bit heavier and with the Exige being so light, yes, something is going to give.

More surfing, and you are right, the Komotec conversions are 4 cylinder. I am not sure though how they manage to get 400ps and keep the car tractable for town use!

No one has commented o the Exige site, so maybe this site is best for 'everything Lotus' after all :lol:

Reading up on Exiges today, I am surprised I let them pass me by all these years, as they are pretty nippy - even the 1.8s! I have always thought the model with the scoop on the roof looked quite mean and see on mobile.de there are a few low mileage ones that I wonder might be worth a punt for a fun car. But they hold their price well, don't they!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Is there a guide to what is what on the Exige - when were all the engine changes? I see some have a scoop that starts at the fromt onf the roof, others start in the middle. Are the three numbers after the engine sie the bhp? If so there are quite a few variants!

If one were to buy an Exige as a 'fun car', no competition work, what is the most reliable and the most desirable?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vali » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Exige S1 (MK1) with Rover VHPD engine. Not very reliable but very funny! 177hp with Road ECU and about 190hp with Lotus Sport ECU.
A few got converted to the more reliable Honda K20 engine and other with Audi, too. Or Ford Duratec. With that car I would choose the Honda K20 engine but the conversion need to be done well otherwise you might have many issues with driveshafts or „exploding“ CV boots due to heat.

Then there is the Exige S (Mk2) with different models from NA to M62 compressor models from 192, 220, 240 and 260hp. They‘re all far more reliable with the Toyota engine than the Rover. Best is to get a Exige Cup260. That are one of the last models (last build in 2010 before model change to Exige S V6 aka Exige Mk3) with lots of high quality carbon from factory, Ohlins suspension and favorised by Lotus enthusiast who are looking for good resale value.

The earlier MK2 Exiges had the scoop in the middle. The later/newer ones at the front. But sometimes owners bought the hardtop with the „bigger“ scoop at the front as it does looks better and more racey.

I had the chance to drive one from a good friend for a whole Track Day at Nurburgring GP because the engine of my own car gone bang shortly before. It suspension and balance was set up by the owner really good and really an enjoyment to drive. One of the best Track Days I ever had!
Vali
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Thanks Vali, that is pretty comprehensive!

I agree the forward scoop looks better, and it is these I have been looking at. Annoyingly most of these on mobil.de are RHD. I am surprised that these though are commanding a high price, but not for me - it is ok on my Elan, but for a 0-100 at 4 secs car, it has to be LHD.

I think I might follow your advice and ditch the idea of Audi poeer - if for no other reason, I think insurance in France will be the killer.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 pm

_DSC4714.jpg and

I miss mine, but it was time to move on
340hp was a lot of fun in a very well sorted car
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:14 pm

Two cars, similar price, neither used in competition - which is the better buy?

2009, 291hp with 77000kms
or
2006, 220hp with 40000kms

What would be considered a high milesge on these cars?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vali » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Contact me directly via eMail, please.
That will be easier and faster than here.
Vali
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:21 pm

The Audi conversions are aftermarket and as far as I know use the Audi TT engine and box with an increase in boost you could speak the Steve Gugliemi at Gugliemi Motorsport at Daventry he races one. The Honda K20 conversion is also available with Eaton supercharger these are marketed by Elise parts now this was originally designed by a friend of mine and everything is engineered properly and it drives superbly no bridged driveshafts or exhausts etc on this conversion not so on some of the other conversions
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the updates on this. However, I should close my interest in the thread as a lot has happened since I started!
I looked at an Exige, but fell in love with the car next door to it. Result: I am now a proud Evora owner... :D :D

25942457-8438-4246-8e2c-a20bfc554bd4.jpg and
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 pm

HCA wrote:I am now a proud Evora owner...

Congratulations!

I really want an early Evora as daily but need it be able to fit me, wife and kids, which I think it might struggle with. Unfortunately they never seem to come up for sale close enough to me that I could go take a look and test to see or not. :(
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Do not give up, and maybe force yourself to look further afield.

When you do find one, you will not be disappointed! Mine is a 2015 350 model, the last before the 400 that has all the scoops on the front, 350bhp against the current 430bhp, but it still has a very respectable performance, and arguably too much for all the barriers to spirited driving the French throw at us!

What I really marvel at is the quality of the car as it is diametrically opposed to the make-do build quality of the Elans :D :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: