End of an era... for me at least!

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri May 22, 2020 9:04 pm

i luv the minor idea; especially because a friend of ours modified a minor: a rx7 highly tuned wankel! its a delivery van with (now) wide wheels and HARDENED (slixks) suspension - he races it sometimes and is really f..g quick - his other "roadcar" is a 23 with a sprint tc and a 99% copy, as it needs repeaters and a handbrake . all the welded tubes look original to me - and: on the road i cant (could: too many months left without a lisence and ...) keep up: 200 kgs less (+ 30: he´s big) --- "just" ported my first TC head (30hrs of labour, made my own pressure testing apparatus! - i have and NEED my SHOP 50*++grand in quid worth of tools, grinders, sanders, small mill etc etc...3 grand just in measuring instruments as you know) an 11mm lift cam (not 320° of course) 102mm valves/41,2mm - newly "grinded" seats using the 42mm (in) valve seat!!!! some said it´s not enough: BS have a look at a new RACING seat chaps! the head was looked as scrap: others know better and dont waste time on junk! alpine sandy --------------------------- so happy with this machine (has a new farndon 1965 lotus 23 crank!!)
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:43 pm

I think a Morris Marina is more up Jon’s street

Here’s a good one, he could call it “Everbeen”
9307254F-7819-403E-BD48-93B341F2000F.png and

B26ED777-5813-402D-B2D3-BC17614C990E.jpeg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 pm

I actually had a Morris Marina 1.8 when I was errmm... 18 I think. Bought from a mate for £200. Remoulds all round, Axminster carpet in the foot wells. Was a workhorse, until my brother borrowed it and rolled the poor old thing. And on the first corner too! He was most perturbed when his lovely Mrs made him pay for it. Got my £200 back!

:lol:

Later on, Alan, whilst at Uni, I bought the crappiest car imaginable - an Allegro. It had an interesting feature, which was a rusted out seat mount. I kid you not, the seat was in effect mounted on a tongue of metal (piece of the floor pan) that bounced up and down as you drove around. It'd rusted completely through next to the runners, and across the front. Best thing about that car was its performance. I used to get other drivers up me bum, honking and flashing their lights because the car was so damned slow. But I just kept a smile on as I literally bounced along...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Oh I forgot to reply to MarkDa! Thanks for your kind words all through this experience. I do hope the new owner joins up, then I can finally be one of those "DPOs", and all the horrid bodges I perpetrated on the car will finally be exposed!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Actually I have my eye on one of these.

Elise.JPG and

Sacrilege I know.. and the colour isn't great but it is a great car. Cannot find one in the right colour (Saffron Yellow) for the right money!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 23, 2020 5:27 pm

"all the horrid bodges I perpetrated on the car"

Wot! Worse than chunkies?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat May 23, 2020 5:28 pm

JonB wrote:I actually had a Morris Marina 1.8 when I was errmm... 18 I think....

Why are we all not surprised? :roll:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 pm

JonB wrote: until my brother borrowed it and rolled the poor old thing. And on the first corner too!

My first "bike" was a Vespa GS. (All 10 BHP of it.) My brother, having never ridden a "motorbike", wanted a go. For some reason that escapes me he decided to bump start the thing.

It fires up and takes off down the road with him grimly hanging on. As he slowly falls behind his right hand opens the throttle and it gets faster until the point were his stumpy legs can do longer keep up.

Idiot and Vesta end up in a ditch. Funniest thing I'd seen all year. We did eventually drag him out. Although it took a while.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:12 pm

Don’t get a yellow one Jon, they always have insects attracted to the colour. Laser blue is fantastic!

Failing that Ice Blue:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 2/10184388
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 pm

JonB wrote:Actually I have my eye on one of these.

Elise.JPG

Sacrilege I know.. and the colour isn't great but it is a great car. Cannot find one in the right colour (Saffron Yellow) for the right money!

Cheeky b*s***d! That looks just like mine!!!!! :evil: Now clear orf!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Mazza, it is just so dull looking!

I'm just wondering if it'll grow on me.

@Steve, that car is expensive... I'm not a fan of ice blue either. All things being equal I'd be better off with the 2011MY car (which costs about the same).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 pm

JonB wrote:Mazza, it is just so dull looking!

I'm just wondering if it'll grow on me.

@Steve, that car is expensive... I'm not a fan of ice blue either. All things being equal I'd be better off with the 2011MY car (which costs about the same).

Hurry up and buy another Ital, I'm sure they have a forum :lol:

Seriously, the Elise is a superb car. Does it need a 'look at me' colour? I don't think so, but then I've never owned a purple car.

Go for a supercharged version. Mine has been very reliable, I've just had one issue with dry wiring on the back of the starter switch - a quick fix.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 am

Well, I had an S1 Elise back when they first came out. It was a revelation and I regretted selling it. Deep Purple, it looked pretty fab when it was clean. I always wanted another one - but Lotus seem to have forgotten they were supposed to be at a certain price point (below £20k) and they've got fatter, too. Bit like me I suppose!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 am

Spyder fan wrote:
JonB wrote:I actually had a Morris Marina 1.8 when I was errmm... 18 I think....

Why are we all not surprised? :roll:

Alan, when you're young and skint you buy what you can afford. I wonder what automotive skeletons are in your closet?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun May 24, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Jon,
the first car i had was a 105E Anglia which i bought for £110 with a spare Engine + Gearbox + Spares.
I thought it was a little strange and sooo cheap.
Until i crawled underneath and discovered it was 2 cars welded together.
Part exchanged it after a Year for my first Sports Car a 1961 Frog Eye Sprout reg "XSC 4" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alan Barker
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: