Lotus Elan

UK: We're on the road again...... maybe.

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 13, 2020 10:56 am

Hi Eric,,
Yes in France it is protected the "Littoral".
But i think we're talking about the UK and Ownership of Beaches.
I thought below High Tide mark is free land and you can't own.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2350
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed May 13, 2020 11:54 am

ericbushby wrote:Is it me, but you seem to be discussing UK rules. France may not have a Crown estate and I would expect things to be different there.
Eric in Burnley


There are two Alans in this thread, one in UK and one in France!!
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: S Bucks, UK

PostPost by: 661 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:55 pm

JonB wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:You may drive to the beach and you may go fishing providing you stay alert and social distance where necessary, however you may not stay in your second home.

Therefore some time this week I shall drive to the beach ( the part that my wife and I own) and go fishing, I will wave to Graeme whilst maintaining social distance and tidy the garden of our house trying hard not to stay overnight.

Dominic Raab says common sense is required


Indulge my curiosity for a moment, Alan. How can you own part of the beach when all the shorelines belong to the Crown? Are there exceptions to this?


Yes. In Pevensey for one. I’m sure Alan will correct me if I’m wrong ( from a safe distance obviously)
Many beachfront residencies own the beach to the mid tide level.
If I swim past Alan’s I’ll return the wave

PS east or west of the Honda garage?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 839
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed May 13, 2020 2:54 pm

You can have too many Alans. (Tried to put a smilie there but I couldn`t do it. I need to hijack someone under 10 years old)
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 839
Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Location: east lancashire

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 13, 2020 5:03 pm

ericbushby wrote:You can have too many Alans. (Tried to put a smilie there but I couldn`t do it. I need to hijack someone under 10 years old)
Cheers
Eric in Burnley

Hi Eric,
you can have too many Alans but not too many Elans :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2350
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed May 13, 2020 6:16 pm

JonB wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:You may drive to the beach and you may go fishing providing you stay alert and social distance where necessary, however you may not stay in your second home.

Therefore some time this week I shall drive to the beach ( the part that my wife and I own) and go fishing, I will wave to Graeme whilst maintaining social distance and tidy the garden of our house trying hard not to stay overnight.

Dominic Raab says common sense is required


Indulge my curiosity for a moment, Alan. How can you own part of the beach when all the shorelines belong to the Crown? Are there exceptions to this?


Sorry Jon,
I missed you question amongst all the other questions directed towards the other Alan! :mrgreen:

The width of our plot extends to the “mean high water mark” which in simple terms means to the average point where you might expect to get your feet wet when the tide is in. This is the normal situation with properties in England which are adjacent to the beach without a highway in between. The other side of the high water mark is the property of the Crown which means HM The Queen is our neighbour. In theory the beach between the fenced part of our plot and the sea is private, in practice it’s shared with our neighbours and anyone else who wants to enjoy the beach.

2019-09-21 09.58.02.jpg and


Graeme, we are along Coast Road near the newsagents kiosk.
Last edited by Spyder fan on Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: Barney » Wed May 13, 2020 6:25 pm

alan.barker wrote:Hi Eric,,
Yes in France it is protected the "Littoral".
But i think we're talking about the UK and Ownership of Beaches.
I thought below High Tide mark is free land and you can't own.
Alan



Unless you live in Orkney, (Used to, but not now).
http://www.charles-tait.co.uk/guide/orkguide/pages/udal_law.html?fbclid=IwAR0BrriGC2Qg4Ppb0_-VxsCJqI-lH29r_sZxjjts0u4ru7xRd6wB92KOTKE
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK

PostPost by: JonB » Thu May 14, 2020 6:54 am

Spyder fan wrote:Sorry Jon,
I missed you question amongst all the other questions directed towards the other Alan! :mrgreen:

The width of our plot extends to the “mean high water mark” which in simple terms means to the average point where you might expect to get your feet wet when the tide is in. This is the normal situation with properties in England which are adjacent to the beach without a highway in between. The other side of the high water mark is the property of the Crown which means HM The Queen is our neighbour. In theory the beach between the fenced part of our plot and the sea is private, in practice it’s shared with our neighbours and anyone else who wants to enjoy the beach.


Gosh, that's pretty cool.
User avatar
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2104
Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Location: South Coast, UK

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 am

JonB wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:Sorry Jon,
I missed you question amongst all the other questions directed towards the other Alan! :mrgreen:

The width of our plot extends to the “mean high water mark” which in simple terms means to the average point where you might expect to get your feet wet when the tide is in. This is the normal situation with properties in England which are adjacent to the beach without a highway in between. The other side of the high water mark is the property of the Crown which means HM The Queen is our neighbour. In theory the beach between the fenced part of our plot and the sea is private, in practice it’s shared with our neighbours and anyone else who wants to enjoy the beach.


Gosh, that's pretty cool.


Jon,
We love it and in the short term for the next few years it will be a valuable holiday let property if I can persuade Mrs T to allow other people to use it. There’s a double garage on the street side of the house, making it a perfect escape for classic car owners.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:26 am

Spyder fan wrote: Graeme, we are along Coast Road near the newsagents kiosk.

Graeme - it is the kiosk ...

Alan gets his cap on and shouts 'Read all about it' every time he goes to Pevensey.

Tim
User avatar
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Location: Essex/Herts border, UK

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 am

The kiosk

Image
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: 661 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 am

trw99 wrote:Spyder fan wrote: Graeme, we are along Coast Road near the newsagents kiosk.

Graeme - it is the kiosk ...

Alan gets his cap on and shouts 'Read all about it' every time he goes to Pevensey.

Tim


Tim, I had him in a standing caravan over the road!

Know it well.
One of the world's great curry houses within a short walk and The Star the other way. Lovely spot.
We looked at Herbrand Walk some while ago and the wife ( keen sea swimmer) is favouring a final move to the shoreline.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 839
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: saf » Fri May 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Kiosk: a Persian or Indian sub continent building open on one or more sides during the ottoman Empire.. I can just smell the Turkish carpets or is it the damp Elan interior? V. Sweet coastal retreat. So the wife still manages to get ashore when you drop her off for an Ocean Swim? ;) Are Brit beaches OPEN during the Covid Claposherics?
saf
New-tral
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Apr 2020
Location: Canada

PostPost by: 661 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Sea swimmers are being discouraged by the RNLI but I think that is in the main aimed at those who would go for a dip once a year and don't understand currents.
Most seasoned swimmers are far safer in the water than taking up cycling.
The Police have until recently been telling swimmers to come in. I think that is changing as they can't police people hoarding outside DIY stores so the swimmers are likely to be forgiven. It would seem to be within the bounds of reasonable activity in the most recent guidelines.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 839
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Which idiot started this thread...? Oh... :roll:
Well, actually, I have been on the road again today, for (almost) the first time in 11 weeks. My previous trips were two "click and collect" trips to two (less than) supermarkets; as we used to say in the 60's.
Today I took my Sprint wheels about 500M down the road and replaced my 18 yr-old tyres ("at least another 25 years of tread on them, guv") with Uni-Royal Rain-Master's; apparently the sensible choice for those of us who do 5K miles per year max.
Having read much of the scientific advice we are not minded to come out of "lock-down" for another three weeks at least. Politicians, eh?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4092
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.
Previous

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests