UK: We're on the road again...... maybe.

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:39 pm

In the UK Parliament, House of Commons, this afternoon, the Prime Minister, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, said "you can drive as far as you want to the country". Hours earlier two of my local Chief Constables were saying the exact opposite, based upon the Prime Ministers TV broadcast only 23 hours ago. Discuss... as they used to say at my school…
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saf » Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm

When BORAT J said you can DRIVE in the country he of course MEANT .. SCOTLAND,WALES & NORTHERN IRELAND.
Having wee spurts between decent pubs in the Lake District or tha Yorkshire Moors doesn't count. 0:
saf
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 am

Deconfinement from yesterday here in France but can only drive max 100kms from home.
Masks must be worn in all public transport and beaches still closed.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 am

elansprint71 wrote:In the UK Parliament, House of Commons, this afternoon, the Prime Minister, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, said "you can drive as far as you want to the country". Hours earlier two of my local Chief Constables were saying the exact opposite, based upon the Prime Ministers TV broadcast only 23 hours ago. Discuss... as they used to say at my school…

The PM wants us to use 'great British common sense'.
Tony Blair once said, 'trust the British public because they are intelligent'. I deal with the public everyday and confirm that that statement is about as accurate as his weapons of mass destruction address.
Sadly, many constables are not able to/ allowed to employ common sense, particularly if as you say their superiors have given their own message. Although the PMs ' you may drive anywhere within England on a day trip' may be pretty clear to me , in real terms you may find despite being right, you are fined and have to fight it out in the court!
Let's hope not.

PS I'm not always that negative.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am

I wondered what the "House of Commons" was for, i thought it was just to make a lot of hot air :lol:
Blow J** seems to have lots of money to throw away. He's already costing the UK heaps just to get out the EU.
He's also won second place for the most people that have died from Covid19 after the USA with Schrumph .
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue May 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Seems to me Boris is paying a lot of money to people to help them sit on their 4rse , and now for quite a while into the future , there isn't a general election looming and even if there was , last time it was a walk-over , so no fear there.

Conclusion...it must be serious?

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue May 12, 2020 7:09 pm

You may drive to the beach and you may go fishing providing you stay alert and social distance where necessary, however you may not stay in your second home.

Therefore some time this week I shall drive to the beach ( the part that my wife and I own) and go fishing, I will wave to Graeme whilst maintaining social distance and tidy the garden of our house trying hard not to stay overnight.

Dominic Raab says common sense is required
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm

alan.barker wrote:.......He's also won second place for the most people that have died from Covid19 after the USA with Schrumph .
Alan

So, Alan, is that counting death numbers, or comparing deaths per population, or comparing excess deaths?

The latter is a far better way to compare - by measuring the additional deaths (in a given period) compared to expected number of deaths (from historical data). It eliminates the different ways that Covid deaths are recorded. Direct number international comparisons are very misleading (for all sorts of reasons - death certification recording differences, population density, age distribution, race, public health provision......)

(Mind you, I’m not saying I support this governments handling of the crisis or the apparent inability of the 4 home nation’s leaders to work together).
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 pm

I am talking about how many people in each country.
It's a personal choice if you talk about numbers or % rates.
For sure the bad situation is effecting everyone or 100%.
I hope it stops soon
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 am

Indeed, Alan, it’s your choice. And you may well be correct in saying the UK is second in the international stakes - we simply won’t know the full picture until after the event. But there might be some surprises in the final results.
It’s just you are using a poor comparator to illustrate your score sheet. It’s like using a tape measure to compare wear in twin cam piston ring grooves.

The real tragedy in the statistics is the number of indirect deaths in the Covid outbreak where people have died from other treatable causes (eg cardiovascular or cerebrovascular disease) through not seeking help in a timely fashion.
That’s before we start talking about care homes. Or the number of people with undiagnosed malignancy who will present late or those with previously diagnosed malignancy who have had their treatment delayed.
We’ll be playing catch up on this for years.
Rant over.

BTW Alan I hope you can get out and enjoy your Elan and use up your 100km travel limit to it’s maximum 8) Envy - here in Wales we’re still very limited.
Malcolm.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 13, 2020 6:41 am

Hi Malcolm ,
you're right. Here in France when someone is in Intensive with the Covid19 that's for 3 weeks .
It will never be known the full impact of Covid19.
I hope we can learn and get something positive.
Well a short drive is in order today but with my 1978 TVR 3000S. Little Lo must wait her turn.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 am

Spyder fan wrote:You may drive to the beach and you may go fishing providing you stay alert and social distance where necessary, however you may not stay in your second home.

Therefore some time this week I shall drive to the beach ( the part that my wife and I own) and go fishing, I will wave to Graeme whilst maintaining social distance and tidy the garden of our house trying hard not to stay overnight.

Indulge my curiosity for a moment, Alan. How can you own part of the beach when all the shorelines belong to the Crown? Are there exceptions to this?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 13, 2020 9:56 am

JonB wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:You may drive to the beach and you may go fishing providing you stay alert and social distance where necessary, however you may not stay in your second home.

Indulge my curiosity for a moment, Alan. How can you own part of the beach when all the shorelines belong to the Crown? Are there exceptions to this?

+1 I thought exactly the same but i didn't dare ask.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 am

I may be wrong, but I thought the Crown owns the part of the shore between mean high and low water.....
Malcolm

Edit to add - from the Crown Estate website, saying they manage:
“We manage around half of the foreshore (the land between mean high and mean low water mark) around England, Wales and Northern Ireland”
There is a link to a search map showing ownership of the foreshore by the Crown Estate.
Last edited by englishmaninwales on Wed May 13, 2020 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed May 13, 2020 10:22 am

Is it me, but you seem to be discussing UK rules. France may not have a Crown estate and I would expect things to be different there.
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: