Customs & Import duty on parts

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:14 pm

I think for a S3 the US JAE would be the best bet with the stronger output shafts + of course a Diff Brace with TTR Frusta cones.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:47 pm

HCA wrote:Not sure you need to be registered - simply exporting a product is enough to waive the Australian tax. Someone from Australia can correct me..

I looked at Col's ing earlier and reckoned I would be paying a tad more extra than Ian paid. I am not sure though if the extra work Col puts into the shafts over Kelvendon - in my case - would justify the price though. I will say though that Col was a real gent and much better to talk with than another Australian manufacturer whose sour grapes attitude was not good :evil:

Interestingly I also was looking at the difference in price between the UK offerings such as Kelvedon's and though their price was less than Cols there was VAT to add which I think worked out to something over £600 in total.
I then had to think about a pair of special shock absorbers to allow for less 'Droop' plus fitting which I'm sure would probably take the cost past the Trikbits version. Of course Cols offering has had extra work done to the CV's and much CNC machining enabling normal shocks to be used.
My car has new Koni's fitted at great expense and I didn't want to change them as they are an excellent edition to my suspension.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: johnnydoughert » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 am

Custom Duty is an Indirect tax collected by central govt on imports and export of goods. Custom duty is governed by Customs Act 1962. All the business entity who are interested in Import or export business need to register with customs or engage a clearing forwarding agent before they can actual start the work.I suggest you visit BRI customs clearance in Australia. If you try to avoid paying the customs then the parcel is shipped back and you are charged the shipping cost. Many carriers will get a court order to pay this.
Last edited by johnnydoughert on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnydoughert
New-tral

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:51 am

Msybe a better response by asking the shipping agents direct?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:04 am

HCA wrote:Not sure you need to be registered - simply exporting a product is enough to waive the Australian tax. Someone from Australia can correct me..

I looked at Col's offering earlier and reckoned I would be paying a tad more extra than Ian paid. I am not sure though if the extra work Col puts into the shafts over Kelvendon - in my case - would justify the price though. I will say though that Col was a real gent and much better to talk with than another Australian manufacturer whose sour grapes attitude was not good :evil:

Typically buying from overseas means no source VAT / sales style tax is imposed by the seller. I buy frequently from the USA, Europe and UK and thats always the case. Its the same when buying from Australia from overseas in that the local VAT tax equivalent does not need to be added by the seller.

Typically you get hit for the local tax depending on how the local authorities enforce it when the import comes into the country. In Australia for purchases over $1000 you get normally hit with the local 10% GST ( VAT equivalent) and people like Amazon and Ebay charge this for less than $1000 imports

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 am

johnnydoughert wrote:I will start off by apologizing if this isn't the right location for this post. I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find anything for my specific questions and then I found this. I was about to ship a car last week but was wondering if it's possible to ship now to Australia when there is a pandemic going on?

Should be no abnormal issues shipping to Australia due to Covid in Australia at least . However many other challenges in doing so depending on the age of the car.

For older cars the biggest issue is Asbestos clearance certificate to verify there is no asbestos in the car on import otherwise customs will turn it around and send it back or you have to pay a fortune to have it disassembled and checked . For newer cars the biggest issue is compliance with the relevant Australian design regulations in place at the date of the car manufacture but this applies when you try to register it rather than when importing.

As other say best check with shipping agents to see what they say.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: