Advice on how to obtain free tax/mot exemption

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:28 pm

I have an AC3000ME that was registered in August 1979 which I have owned for about 16 years. The car should now be eligible for free historic road tax and also be MOT exempt as it is over 40 years old. The issue I have is that I have just received the standard V11 tax reminder from DVLA quoting the road tax of £265 for the coming year and no box to tick about MOT exemption. I therefore assume that the DVLA records don't show the new historic status of the car auromatically. If I go on line and input the reference number on the V11 will it come up with various options for historic tax and MOT exemption or do I have to go to my local post office or do I phone DVLA to explain the situation. Has anyone else had this problem?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm

Go online, declare MOT exemption and Historic Vehicle status using the DVLA web site.

I know the MOT exception check box is available on the web site, not sure about Historic Status but I’m guessing so (my car was already Historic when I bought it).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Correction..

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ap ... -exemption

..says you need to go to the Post Office to declare Historic status. Thereafter it’s an annual check box tix when you retax the car to get MOT exemption,
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:59 pm

My Elan was already marked as a historic vehicle for tax.

When they brought out the no MOT rule, I didn’t trust the website so I went to the post office. You needed a specific form (forgotten the number), which you fill in and hand over.

The funny thing was the clerk didn’t have anything on her system to notify no MOT was required ! I kept the new form - it’s actually self-certification!

However, when the following years’ tax renewal came through it said “No Mot required”.

Ah....the mysteries of bureaucracy......

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Yes when you declare Historic at PO they'll tax for free there and then as you don't need MoT
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 pm

You can only change the Tax class when you renew the vehicle tax, using Form V10.
This application needs to be accompanied with Form V112 ‘ Declaration of exemption from MOT ‘
Send these along with your V5C and insurance certificate to Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency, SWANSEA, SA99 1ZZ
and wait.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:29 am

Procedure here - go to PO and they send to Swansea after you get tax.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ap ... -exemption
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:38 am

When you go to the post office do you have to pay for the road tax initially and then wait for a refund or not?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:42 am

I seem to recall that after 35 years off road I didn't pay anything.
Technically you make the change and then you tax.
I did have an MoT because after a full rebuild I wanted someone else to cast their eye over my work - a vigorous shake on the mechanical suspension tester can show a lot up.
In my case because the car is so light compared to modern (any really!) cars all we found was brake fluid forced up through the filler cap breather!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:01 am

As DVLA have closed many of the local tax offices, the Post Office has taken on more vehicle tax functions but as I understand they will only re tax a vehicle if there are no changes from the last issue, a change in Tax Class requires forms to go to DVLA. If you apply at a Post Office they will send the forms to DVLA for you.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mudmouse » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:08 am

Having bought my first Lotus, a +2, less than a year ago I received a V11Z tax reminder through the post today and went on-line to www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax.

Went through the screens and filled in the reference number on the V11Z and made a declaration that the car had not been modified and they processed the application on the spot and sent confirmation by e-mail immediately.

Steve
Mudmouse
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm

DVLA don't exactly make it easy for the owner.
Having done a bit of lunchtime research the DVLA website makes out that you have to go to a post office and there is no suggestion that you can do it on-line using the V11 form.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:13 pm

Change of Tax Class will need a new V5C to be issued, only the DVLA can do this.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:25 pm

If you go to PO they will give you tax at zero rate and then they send the old V5 to Swansea.
POs have mail pouches that they use for all sorts of forms they get in and have to forward.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mudmouse » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm

William2 wrote:DVLA don't exactly make it easy for the owner.
Having done a bit of lunchtime research the DVLA website makes out that you have to go to a post office and there is no suggestion that you can do it on-line using the V11 form.

At the bottom of my V11 it says "Tax on-line at http://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax"

They just need the reference number from the V11

I found it quite straight forward.

Steve
Mudmouse
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: