Haircut time coming up

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Think it would look good on the back of Toad?

1147 Apr. 08 20.06.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:49 pm

:lol:

John.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 pm

A story nobody will find amusing and is tangential at best but what's the harm.

When I moved to Florida from New York last August my Elan came with me on a trailer after after I made a critical error when rebuilding the engine by reusing pistons that had totally worn out ring lands (~.010" ring to groove clearange on the top compression ring). After a couple of hours of running in it was still running like crap and blowing blue smoke, so I hooked a compression gauge up and found that I had 90-100psi on all cylinders. So once in Florida I removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled the engine over the course of 3 months of weekends in my cousin's garage (being a college student, I had no other place to work on it).

Anyways, I was so upset when I realized I was going to have to remove the engine for the third time in 9 months, this time with a lack of space and a fraction of the tools, I declared that I wasn't going to shave until my Elan was back on the road. Well, two and a half months came and went and I was still a month away from having it running so I broke down and trimmed my beard back to about 1-month length. Even though my Elan is running again I decided to keep the beard (although trimmed) since nobody's giving me crap about it and I'm lazy.

College moved to online classes for the rest of the semester so I'm back in NY. Maybe I'll get rid of it when it gets brutally hot. Who knows.

As for my hair, being 18 with a full head of hair kept around 4 inches long usually, coronavirus hasn't impacted me too much - I just look slightly shaggier than usual.

My dad was heavily balding by the time he was 30, and my mom had white hair by that age too, and it looks like I really won the lottery. At 18, my hairline is like the South at the end of the Civil War—receding—and I have more than a few white strands showing up above my ears.

TL;DR I didn't measure tolerances while rebuilding my engine and now I have a beard as a result.

-Ben
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
"I'm never gonna financially recover from this"
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm

At almost 52 my hair isn't receding or greying, and thanks to almost no work in four weeks I haven't bothered shaving in as long, the longest I've gone without a shave since I started back in the '80s. Ordinarily I only do it twice a week, maybe 3 times if I want to be extra-spiffy, and now at 4 weeks it still looks a bit sketchy and just doesn't visibly grow much in some spots, so I'm concluding that beards are not for me. Just as well, as I've always been mistaken for younger anyway. Mrs. Veg has been kinder than necessary about how stoopid my attempt at a beard looks, and I'm grateful for that.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 pm

https://youtu.be/x3qhle8Oy9s

remember the Cowsills? :)
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:39 am

Considerable relief was felt when I got to the end of this thread.
I thought, as so many Elan owners move in high circles, that someone had some inside information on the current state of banks around the World and what their next moves would be in the current crisis.

And we were all about to lose a percentage of our savings as the Govt. helped themselves......... :(
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 am

If a gov doesn’t have any good ways of wasting tax pesos
Knot knowing how to combat covid, is more proper peso use
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:56 am

I don't have a Stag, nor do I have any knowledge of markets, currencies and particularly how governments make decisions (especially as the requirement for politicians in the UK is to hold a degree in politics in preference to any form of common sense).
I do however have a Wahl hair trimmer that I got from Costco about 15 years ago. I don't have much hair these days (not that I had much before :roll: ) so I use a number 1. What I found was that you need to oil it more regularly than you think (using the correct oil - of course) and I strip mine down twice a year because trapped hair clippings seem to make the cutters tear the hair rather than cut it.
This hasn't stopped me tinkering with the Elan though which was an initial thought.
Good luck
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: