PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Amen to that, brother.

7BCCEC34-C10F-46F0-ABF1-1338143AA825.jpeg and
40 pints of Woodefords Wherry.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 am

A week on from the last post on this thread things have ramped up somewhat. In the UK we are now close to 1000 deaths a day and that is expected to double over the next few days. My local health board has 896 confirmed cases, unconfirmed are probably double or triple that. On official figures that’s one in 550 people. Having significant underlying health conditions makes this quite terrifying. Personally I’m only going out for medical stuff. My wife shops wearing FFP3 face mask and gloves, deliveries are left on the porch. Was on the driveway and a few neighbours came out to chat all staying 3/4 metres clear. We all seem to be trying our best not to spread things but it almost seems inevitable that we’ll get it eventually.

Think we need to see some good news stories about recoveries instead of the myriad of doom and gloom. I know some members here have in all likelihood had it and are recovering quite well.

Onwards...
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:07 am

Steve, I have a suspicion that the doom and gloom is there to scare people into doing the right thing and staying home. Despite which:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1835885 ... ar-police/

These two asshats have since been charged with breaching Schedule 21 of the Coronavirus Act 2020. A pity they won't get porridge, but they may be fined a hefty sum of money. Here's hoping.

Take care of yourself.
Last edited by JonB on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 am

That article just goes to prove that no matter how much publicity there is and however many regulations are put in place there's always someone who'll ignore it all and carry on doing whatever they want to do. Whether it's out of 'innocent' ignorance or a kind of malicious ignorance is, I suppose, for the police to determine but they're obviously not alone. There was a story earlier about a pensioner couple who still go browsing in the supermarkets most days as somehow they've not made the personal connection between their age vulnerability and the 'availability' of the virus in such places. Before it all became so serious they'd have been prime candidates for the annual Darwin awards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards if you don't know them
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:14 pm

An interesting side effect of the current crisis was reported on a local radio station this morning. Apparently human activity actually does cause changes in good old Mother Earth. With the lack of both auto and truck traffic on our highways, along with the take off and landing of planes, earth quakes, especially in the Los Angeles area have decreased. It seems the vibrations from autos and planes do cause movement in the earth's crust, which increase the number of quakes.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:47 pm

prezoom wrote: It seems the vibrations from autos and planes do cause movement in the earth's crust, which increase the number of quakes.

Quite possibly, but also possible that the frequent release of smaller forces in the Earth's crust has stopped a major catastrophic quake.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:07 pm

A UK hospital doctor; Dr Sarfaraz Munshi describes a vital breathing technique for corona virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLzAdr ... e=youtu.be

I hope the above will not be needed by anyone but .........
Last edited by vincereynard on Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hamm61 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 am

Cheers , As an asthmatic it is good advice to get your airways to open by breathing excercise I remember doing these things with my son 20 odd years ago it works. We all have to follow the rules laid down by government even if we see fault in them , i had a skype call with my brother in Washington state his wife has had Covid 19 she is getting better however its 3 weeks of hell , her words .I lost a buisiness contact through this, to see the devestating effect on his family just aufull .
follow the rules please
peter
hamm61
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks Vince...

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Maybe someone can enlighten me on something that is seemingly the top subject of the mass media.

What is the point of mass testing? The results are 2(?) days later so will only really show how you were then. You could easily contacted the virus in the mean time and a negative result will give you a false idea.

Seems potentially worse than useless.

I read a health report that indicated that the vast majority of deaths are for male, overweight and current (or
recent ) smokers. Pretty much as would be expected.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:58 pm

vincereynard wrote:
I read a health report that indicated that the vast majority of deaths are for male, overweight and current (or
recent ) smokers. Pretty much as would be expected.

No doubt the feminists will be up in arms about that in due course - men hogging everything as usual :lol:

What does seem to be odd is that a disproportionate percentage of the deaths are coming from ethnic minorities. Where we are that's mainly people with a background from India / Pakistan / Bangladesh. Quite why is still a bit of a puzzle but my wife started noticing it in her practice about a month ago.

I think the idea behind testing is ultimately to work out whether there's enough herd immunity to release the lockdown. There's an assumption that the hospital admission figures are only a (small?) percentage of the total number who have / have had the bug - many seem to get it without suffering any or mild symtoms and don't need medical help so don't show up on records - but without testing there's no way of knowing. The nightmare for the politicians must be to end the lockdown and have it flare up again. I suspect they'd struggle to impose it a second time.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Here in France we are talking about doing a Blood test.
So you can see if you are infected but also to see if you have been infected and recovered.
If you have been infected and recovered they are talking about the idea that your Blood Plasma could be used to protect others.
There is an idea to use the people who have had covid19 and immune in the Hospitals to stop the spread.
It seems that about 98% of people recover if they are not overweight or have Breathing problems.
In the USA for sure there is a very big problem with overweight which puts the balance heavily against them.
Here the shutdown is being controlled by the Police, only one person to do shopping alone, special letter/paper with date time of departure + home address, Identity Card. If you don't have these on the spot fine 135 Euros and go directly home.
If you get caught a second time the on the spot fine almost triples.
These measures seem to be working and the figures of people being admitted into Hospital don't appear to be increasing. But the shutdown/control needs to continue and be careful to stop a second outbreak.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:40 pm

The higher concentration of deaths in many ethnic communities is down to the way they live with multiple generations in one house (Italian families are similar with high death rates too). Someone brings it home and passes it to the grandparents who then succumb.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:58 pm

The most informative program I've seen on this was Horizon on BBC a couple of days ago, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm

In the states, its hitting the poor/unhealthy.
Canada is doing better it seems.
I am glad the Canadian Natives have shut access down, but the animals dont care, or respect the boarders.

Interesting, people are not showing symptoms and can carry it. Even after they have recovered.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: