MX5 - In pursuit of added lightness.

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:26 am

This is an interesting article (IMHO) on the lengths Mazda went for their Mk3 MX5.

http://www.roadster.blog/2013/05/naked-roadster.html

It even has a bit of a backbone!
947-oct.-06-10.30.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Isn't that a hairdresser's car, Vince?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:36 pm

JonB wrote:Isn't that a hairdresser's car, Vince?

I'm thinking of starting an evening job. I have the scissors just need suitable transport.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Interesting article, thanks for posting.
I have the latest series ND MX5, with just turned 8000 km on it at just 1 year since purchase. It is a very nice car to drive, feels light, they seem to get bad press by some enthusiasts but not sure why...has of course all the modern conveniences (doors and what have you :), and my wife will actually go somewhere in it. The gearing 1st to 3rd is almost too close for normal driving around town, but a minor thing, fantastic light shifter. Avg. on computer is 6.3 L/100 km or in english thats about 45 mpg! (imperial gallons that is), (they are 2 litre engines here in Canada). Can stomp on it around a corner with the traction control on it breaks free before catching itself, great fun, particularly when lovely wife not in the car. :)

I also have a Caterham and a S2 Elan so am familiar with the differences...lol..
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:42 am

jk952 wrote: It is a very nice car to drive, feels light, they seem to get bad press by some enthusiasts but not sure why...
I also have a Caterham and a S2 Elan so am familiar with the differences...lol..
Jack

Some like to suffer for their enjoyment. There are probably a number of help sites that give advice. :)

Here is the page for the ND. http://www.roadster.blog/2015/06/mx-5-n ... -body.html
In a situation possibly unique in modern times it is actually smaller and lighter than its predecessor!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 pm

My female hairdresser (barber) has a hotted up Chevelle, she and hubby used to race, had their engines built out of town so the local competition wouldn?t know what they were doing, she is older than me; now enthusiastically shows me pictures of her grandson racing go carts, and goes to the track with him as she and hubby are the crew.. :)

My 6 ft Lotus friend barely fits in the passenger side of the MX5, the Elan has it beat hands down on space fore and aft of the seat and even the trunk. ..lol...
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: