Monaco

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 am

So,

Risky call but does anyone else think that Max has a chance of winning today?
Now thats gotta be worth a 5er @ 80/1
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 pm

You can see the class of the Max + Red Bull combination as he goes past a lot of the back markers but really the gap to the front's too great. If he doesn't hit something I predict he might catch Alonso but that'll be it unless there's some sort of carnage. No money on it though :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Well ok. Max was a BIG call. Great drive from Danny tho. Very much deserved.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon May 28, 2018 9:38 am

Not wishing to take anything away from Danny's win as I think it was thoroughly deserved given his performance over the whole weekend, but what does it say about the current state of F1 when despite being at least 160bhp down & missing 7th & 8th gears for a good two thirds of the GP, neither the Ferrari or the Mercedes could make any sort of real challenge for the lead :shock:

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:44 am

Its more about the track in the Monaco does not need all 8 gears or much HP to be competitive on. An of course our boy Daniels driving skills which are under rated :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon May 28, 2018 10:15 am

A great race... definitely not a power track, tyres kept Vettel from attacking near the end of the race, he was less than a second behind at one point, mind you overtaking would have been another thing!
At least Grosjean didn't end up in the barriers again...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 am

Not to take anything away from Daniel Ricciardo as he won the race fair and square but I got the feeling that both Vettel and Hamilton decided to go for the 'certainty' of some points rather than risk getting none at all if their overtakes didn't work out. I know that's a risk in all races but Monaco seems to head the list for difficult overtaking. In places the track seems to be barely wide enough for one car let alone two.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am

Sorry , but I think Lewis Hamilton summed it up when chatting to Channel 4 , " must have been boring for the viewers " .

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:28 am

Any time Hamilton does not win he thinks its boring because he did not win :lol:
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am

I don't like the man but you have to admire his fiscal awareness , I think Bernie had the right idea , sell it before the viewing figures drop off .
It's become a parade , the next move will be to fit towing hooks front and rear and hitch them up all together ( saves fuel and is safer ) .

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue May 29, 2018 7:54 am

john.p.clegg wrote: It's become a parade , the next move will be to fit towing hooks front and rear and hitch them up all together ( saves fuel and is safer ) .

:lol: :lol:

rgh0 wrote:Its more about the track in the Monaco does not need all 8 gears or much HP to be competitive on.

I accept Monaco is perhaps a unique circuit, but race after race we see a much faster car stuck behind a back marker because it can't follow closely for fear of destroying it's tyres or loosing too much down force. We also see cars lifting & coasting or short shifting to save fuel unless there's a few laps under the safety car. Fi should be the pinnacle of motor racing, flat out from lights to flag with drivers being able to overtake one another on the circuit rather than in the pits, not a Sunday parade.

rgh0 wrote:An of course our boy Daniels driving skills which are under rated :lol:

cheers
Rohan

Not by me, I rated him highly even before he moved up to Red Bull & embarrased the then current 4 time world champ :wink:

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 29, 2018 9:43 am

I do agree that Monaco is a very different curcuit, but Max managed a few overtakes which i guess shows its possible. Yes he was out of place and against cars perhaps not as well developed. Kind of the opposite at the front, Seb had no answers to a wounded RBR. Shows a few things it itself.

Next year with a different aero package and more fuel should mean more overtaking, will it? In true historic F1 fashion it will be advantage rich team.

Speaking of historics, i just watched the Monaco Classic on catch up, to me it was much better racing, in all the different catagories.cant wait for 2020.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue May 29, 2018 10:53 am

"i just watched the Monaco Classic on catch up, to me it was much better racing"

Me too , recorded it , maybe I'm a dinosaur , but It had more interesting people , machines and racing.....Oh to be back in the '60s...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 am

as mr hamilton said: boring AND max ain't gonna be with us that long: it's already long enough to dislike him and his style - lets have it for our lovely aussie!! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 29, 2018 12:05 pm

I must admit i cant see RBR doing much better, neither Scudaria nor Mercedes-Benz would sell them engines, why would they?
Which only leaves them as the best performers with the factory Renault engine.
The package proved it was suited to the street curcuit, credit to a certain Mr Adrian Newey.
Ive not read much of the F1 hype for last few years, but current rumours would put both RBR drivers at a seat in a Ferrari.
So where would Max go?
Formula E seems to be the popular series for ex F1 drivers.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: