Anyone using a tracker?

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:32 pm

As above, just wonder if anyone has considered or is using a tracker?

Any thoughts on best types, makes etc?
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 pm

I had one on my Exige V6, excellent, but it was required for the insurance company. Problem is after 12 months its tied to the car and you cant transfer it. I'm having to get a new one for the 380 I have on order. Life time subscription about 300GBP and fitting is around 200 ish.

Oh Smartrac(K) I think I used, very good.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:08 am

I am using Geosky alert. For my race trailer. Excellent product and service.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 am

i have one in my Esprit.
got a call from them when the battery died.. they saw it as tampering. so it does work.
you can also geofence them so if you have the car stored. they can only take it so far before you get an alert.

you also get a full history log so you can see where your vehicle has been and how fast !

not much google cant do with your modern phone now really... but you get a certificate for the insurance company !
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:25 pm

With the escalation in value of our cars, which have little or no security, I'm guessing that the insurers will insist on us fitting them, sooner or later.

We have one in our Motorhome (RV) at the insistence of the insurer. It is called Smartrack and works very well (as far as I can tell!). I can see on my iphone where the van is and I did call them up at 3am for some advice once, just to see if anyone was there- a bloke answered immediately and didn't sound like I'd just woken him up! :)
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Does anyone know if these devices place much strain on the battery, and what is required to fit them ?

I know different systems will integrate in various ways but if I wanted to keep my car as original as possible it would be a factor.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:25 am

You could install with separate battery and diode to isolate it from the car battery. Mine holds power for over two months.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

What about trackers without service, e.g. TK103B or the like ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:30 pm

nmauduit wrote:What about trackers without service, e.g. TK103B or the like ?

You can get this type of tracker from Amazoon for around ?30.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... TK103A%29+

I'm not sure how you could certify such to an insurance company. Basically they have a GPS system to know where they are and the circuits of a mobile phone to inform you. They work in two modes, either send TXTs to it and then it TXTs back with Lat & Long or it can be set to use mobile broadband and then send packets to a known server on which you register the device and the server then has a website with a map display showing where the tracker is.

All control is done by TXTs to it.

It has some extras
1) it can work as a burglar alarm, sounding the horn etc
2) you can switch it to monitor mode in which you listen to a microphone in the car
3) you can instruct it to operate a relay; this you usually use to switch off the fuel pump to bring the car to a stop so as a safety precaution it only activates the next time the vehicle is traveling at less than 20mph. If you don't have an electric fuel pump you could of course just use this to switch the horn on continuous mode which would no doubt attract the police.

As far as i can tell the only difference between the TK103A and the TK103B is that the latter includes a key fob which you can use to enable/disable the alarm facility as you walk from and to the car.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm

That looks like a good bit of kit that Bill. Good find. I am thinking of something like this. I might just get one anyway and try it. Its only ?30....
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: