Touring France 2017

PostPost by: tcsoar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I am in the early stages of planning a trip for me and the wife to visit our friends in France next June in the +2, they live in the Sables-d'Olonne area. Initial thoughts are a crossing to Calais and spending a few days driving down to them. After our stay we would spend a few more days driving back, although I would like to take in the Millau Viaduct if possible.

At this point I am just looking for suggested routes, places that may be of interest, recommendations for the type of places to stay along the trip or any other advice that may be useful.

Thanks,
Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:12 am

I organised a visit for a group of Lotus cars this year to the famous Hotel de France where the Le Mans teams in the 60's were based. http://www.lhoteldefrance.fr/
Certainly worth a stay if you are heading west as there is normally a good collection of classic cars in the car park.
The hotel is an easy days drive from Calais and the owner is from Kent.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:18 am

Driving in France is great, even on the motorways. We used to drive from Calais to Geneva every yea a few years agor. The feeling one gets driving across a mountain range, in our case the Juras in a little British sportswear is hard to beat. Just take your time and enjoy the experience and the nice (mostly empty) roads. French motorways are generally nice and empty compared with those in the UK and their lane discipline is usually much better... If you plan to do a lot of toll road driving it might be worth getting a motorway 'tag' which lets you just drive through the toll booths without stopping. I bought one from France s they seem to be cheaper than buying them from a UK supplier (pm me if you need info)..

The Millau Viaduct is amazing.... :D

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:07 pm

You will enjoy driving in France, especially away from the motorways and big cities, as already said.

A route taking in the Millau Viaduct is highly recommended. On our way from Ireland to Spain in 2009 to join the MSA Euroclassic tour, we took in a little detour to see the viaduct. We approached Millau from the north on the A75, and left it on the D94 towards Mostuejuls, then joined the D907 down through the magnificent Gorge du Tarn.

As you finally drive down the valley into Millau, you will get your first view of the spectacular viaduct outlined against the sky.

We stayed in the Millau Campanile. Next day we drove down towards the river and joined the D809 before crossing on the old town bridge. Then we took the D922 west along the south bank of the river towards the viaduct. Passing underneath, immediately turn right on the roundabout to visit the engineering information centre.

Retrace your route back into Millau, and join the D809 heading south on the old road up out of Millau, to join the A75 at Cavalerie. Turn north heading towards the viaduct. Once on the north side, turn off the A75 into the the massive visitor centre. Park up and visit the facilities, and walk up along the path to the rim of the gorge and enjoy great views of the bridge and valley.

Unforgettable !
Attachments
090915-014.jpg and
Last edited by Foxie on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:43 pm

pereirac wrote: in a little British sportswear is hard to beat.

:roll:
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, any one with anymore always welcome!!

I have driven in France previously but not for over 20 years, enjoyed it then and loved the roads, sounds like not to much has changed.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 pm

Yes you must see the Millau bridge, from the top and the bottom.

If you're into motor museums I can recommend the one at Loheac http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/home/

Cheers
John

Edit, The complication with buying the motorway toll tag in France is that the bill has to be paid by direct debit now. You cannot pay a bill in Euros from a UK bank by DD at the moment. If you have a Euro bank acc then you are OK. For the UK you need https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: