The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:54 pm

After long consideration and a fine celebratory bottle of red,maybe your new President Trump and our new Prime Minister Boris could negotiate the return of the Americas to the Queen...?
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:23 am

mbell wrote: (part quote)
The current governments policies has really hit a lot of poorer area's hard, they have destroyed these communities and the public services they need. There is a lot of frustration and anger in these communities around the current state of affairs. It seems the leave campaign did a very good job taking that anger and frustration around these UK government issues redirecting them the EU/Immigration problems (e.g. NHS Bus).

As we're living in the area which came out top of the "no thanks" regional list (Boston/Lincs) and we do have a high immigrant population then yes, I understand your point. If you walk round Boston market then you're just as likely to hear Polish spoken as English and if you couple that with other issues attributable to a rapid influx of any people then it's not a hard leap to make.

But local people don't hate immigrants. It's nothing to do with skin colour, religion or alleged benefit tourism, if you dropped the population of Lincoln, Hull or anywhere else on Boston you'd get exactly the same response.

The expression I hear more than any is "we've got enough now" and sadly, with the current insistence of the EU that the UK accepts and provides for any number of EU citizens to settle in the country then that is the real issue that the Leave campaign have addressed.

The Remain campaign jumped on that and called it racism, prejudice or "little Englanders", all expressions which don't help, in fact it makes it worse.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, it's just another perspective. Most folks in our village, which includes several farmers who are supposedly "all right with those EU subsidies" voted simply to get some control back in their lives. And they did that in the knowledge that they'd probably be poorer. That says a lot, doesn't it ?

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:48 am

Well I am just a pensioner looking to buy a Lotus Elan but found this all very interesting. JimJ you get my vote for PM

The one thing that has always confused me though just about how much money some have made from 'serving in the eu' is how does someone like Mandleson who not that many years ago stepped down after borrowing something around ?100K from Robinson to fund a home then gets to be an MEP and then not so many years later is buying an ?8 million home. The mind boggles..........love to see his tax returns over the years.

If the new Union Flag ends up as the George cross with a Welsh dragon in the centre that suits me as about time the Welsh flag got a place on the UK flag.
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 am

URGENTLY WANTED: more teacups for having storms in.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am

And spoons to stir with!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:59 am

well, you get the politicians you deserve and the votes which corelate: that applies to everywhere BUT there's a good component in the equation: parts and postage from the UK just came down and if all these financial heros are right, it's gonna get even much better !! :D sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:48 pm

Thank you all for the most measured series of posts I've read on the internet all week.

I hoped for and voted to remain for a number of reasons, but I can also see many potential benefits to leaving and don't subscribe to the doomsday predictions from either side. Overall I think life will remain pretty much as it was, for better or worse, but reading the thought out and educated comments from those who voted Leave is making me more optimistic.

Even though I hoped for a different outcome, selfishly, my immediate situation has been significantly improved as I get paid in USD, so have effectively just received a 10% pay rise.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:22 pm

As a 100% committed remainer, I've held back on posting here, but as a professional electrical engineer (working on high voltage systems / substations / in power stations - at various levels from project engineer to company director) I've spent all my working career solving problems, mostly successfully (that's what engineers are trained / paid to do!!) & in the UK we now clearly have a few problems.

However, we are where we are, & I don't see the situation changing. So ..... like it or not, we have to tackle the problems to the best of our abilities in the longer term interests of the UK (whatever the UK might be in the future) & just get on with it.

Glass only half full folks!

PS - despite the referendum my old 1965 S2 Elan is still in rude health (even more so now that I've thrown away some awful new front brake pads that look to have nearly disintegrated - never seen anything like them - during the recent Club Lotus track day at Castle Combe - no wonder the car was understeering ....... I couldn't slow the bloody thing down enough to get the best lines!!) Anybody else at Hethel for the track day there on 9th July .... should be fun?
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Any population of more than a township is probably going to have wildly divergent opinions on many matters.

Look at UK. There are some that do not even want to be in UK.

France has provinces that want to be separate.

Spain has long standing sessionists.

Look at the old Yugoslavia - it was held together by the strength of one man and disintegrated after his death.

Do not even mention the Middle East where tribes a few kilometers apart have been at war with each other for millenia.

The US took two tries to become one nation of states, and almost disintegrated a few decades later. There are some that want to break California into two or more states.

If a conclusion can be drawn, there are overall benefits drawn from larger areas and populations despite local problems. If you concentrate on the problems, you fragmate the nation and everybody suffers. If you instead combine more land and people, everybody suffers, but in a different way.

It just depends on how you want to be miserable.

Cheers everybody,

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Aaahhhh, now that's not British ...... just calling for teacups and teaspoons yet no saucers. (start practicing the pinky little finger too) :mrgreen:

As for the next steps for a 2nd referendum campaign the math/s are simple........ if more than 17.400,000 can sign it :lol: then it perhaps could be considered for discussion although not really democratic waiting to get a vote on the result others may want.....................hopefully someone is verifying the current circa 2.000,000 signatures are not 'hideaways' with no right to even vote in the first place so that next weeks discussion in Parliament is not just a timewaster...........and please keep it to politics and no racist views are held here as my wife is non British heritage and I had worked many years for a foreign company before retiring.

OK, I am just gutted as the Lotus Elan +2 I was saving for I am now informed has now been sold. It was the nicest one of around 10 I have looked at so far but just a little out of my immediate cash availablility. Got to respect the guy though he hung on for nearly 6 months while I was saving up. So thank you 'Plus 2' .
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 pm

good engineers are employed where the money is: i know lots of mech. engineers in england designing race and other components and even more in southern germany. the food is excellent, the work is interesting and pay will be better. i am basically part english and still don't believe this!! sorry folks sandy :? :?
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Ah now i know why i like the lotus forum so much .......... . It's a 'moron free' zone .....
Voted remain 'to be sensible' . Now happy to enjoy the rollercoaster ride ( not the Motherwell one)
Off to Helsinki next weekend & I haven't ordered my euros yet .
Will my european colleagues take pity on me and stand the round?
I'm ready to field any patronising remarks .....maybe I won't get any.......
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:57 am

Wickey wrote:...........and please keep it to politics and no racist views are held here as my wife is non British heritage and I had worked many years for a foreign company before retiring.

The "Racist Card" was played by the remain side to drown out any sensible discussion.
Both Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage have wives of non British heritage!

An engineer currently passing through Dubai on a business trip. I would be interested to know how remaining would solve the problems of the EU, while being unable to effect any change on the causes of the problems, and unable to elect or depose anyone that could. We were powerless to change even the tax on tampons whilst remaining in the EU.

Also how much of the power industry in the UK is foreign owned.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:55 am

Racist Card?........I think it's about time this forum came "up to date" and became Politically Correct ,half the world is female and is greatly under-represented here....

to be continued....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:26 am

No comparison?

Shares in handbags have risen

Hermes International SCA

EPA: RMS - Jul 1, 9:20 AM GMT+2

338.00EURPrice increase1.05 (0.31%)

Kindest regards