The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 pm

billwill wrote:
69S4 wrote:I?m in Sweden at the moment and haven?t checked but, oh happy days, someone please tell me she got booted out.... :D It?d be a small consolation for the tide of Brexit effluent that?s now about to roll over us but I?ll take whatever consolation I can find atm.

No. Alas, Dianne Abbott got re-elected with her own little landslide victory.

What, was she sitting on it at the time?

:lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:50 am

It?s been revealed that on Election Day that Labour we?re actually leading up until about 5:30pm. Then all the Conservatives finished work!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:59 am

I predict that Boris is going to surprise everyone...

by actually keeping a promise he made, but it'll only be one.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:28 am

There is an old English saying..

" People in glass-houses shouldn't throw stones "

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:27 am

I shall be raising a glass of something pleasant tonight at 11pm to celebrate. I hope the remainers can now agree to put this behind us. Forget what once divided us without recrimination and all push for a very successful and happy UK.

I hope you will all join me. Chin chin. :D :D
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 am

Just cracked one for us
Good riddance

I have bought more stuff from the U.K. in the last year, than the states. I hope I can keep it up
Cheers
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:15 am

Thank you for the support.

Do us another favour will you? Keep hold of that Meghan Markle! :lol:
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:24 am

Well you have accept the ‘will of the people’ (or Boris’s career prospects anyway) but nothing is for ever. I suspect there’s a lot of remainers / rejoiners (depending on when you’re reading this) sharpening their pencils and waiting for the opportunity to write ‘I told you so’. I very much doubt this is over but it’ll get submerged for a while under Indyref 11 and ‘Norn Iron’ effectively becoming part of the republic. As the Chinese curse goes, ‘may you live in interesting times’.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 am

h20hamelan wrote:I have bought more stuff from the U.K. in the last year, than the states. I hope I can keep it up
Cheers

I don't see why not, we're leaving a political construct not isolating ourselves from the world. Trade will continue and after all the hissy fits have faded away I'll bet neither party will even notice.

I don't look on it as leaving the EU, to me it's more like re-joining the rest of the world We're closer to Europe and will always be part of and trade significantly with Europe but personally I feel more connection with the Americas. (that includes Canada in my version of geography :) ).

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Well we finally reached Brexit day, though there are still fresh treaties to negotiate, but then there are always treaties to negotiate are there not?

The thing that worries me most is that the Brexit wrangling has been so intense and propagandized that there seem to be individuals who seem to be permanently brain-washed that they won't actually seek or read the real source information and just rely on highly biased media reporting. They seem to totally deny Democracy and I suspect they will make no attempts to change their ways of thinking or find new markets and will let their jobs & businesses go bankrupt, just so that they will be able to say "Yah boo Boris, I told you it wouldn't work".

More fool them, I say, but alas they may bring down many innocent citizens with them.

~~~~~~~~
DEMOCRACY in a nutshell: = Accept the decision of the majority of the people.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm

billwill wrote: there seem to be individuals who .... seem to totally deny Democracy and I suspect they will make no attempts to change their ways of thinking or find new markets and will let their jobs & businesses go bankrupt, just so that they will be able to say "Yah boo Boris, I told you it wouldn't work".

More fool them, I say, but alas they may bring down many innocent citizens with them.

~~~~~~~~

Let's see if anyone in France / Germany / Italy picks up the remains of Norton motorcycles now that they've run out of road. I daresay there will be (quite) a few businesses that'll go bust over the next few years and blame Brexit instead of their own ineptitude. The media are due a change of direction on this topic anytime after tomorrow and will be all over stories like that: "EU red tape ruins 200yr old clothing / food / medicine (or whatever) firm". Nice simple short words in the headline as the average reading age of the UK population is 9yrs old.

I'm not sure Democracy as practiced here = accept the decision of the majority of the people. It needs 'for a while' tacking on the end. How many times has the 'will of the people' been sought since the referendum. If it was all set in aspic on that day we'd still have Dodgy Dave and his 40 thieves in power.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 pm

billwill wrote:
~~~~~~~~

Don’t some Muslims call that sharia law? Hahahaha
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 pm

@Billwill

I'm not sure that a car forum is really the place for this type of debate.

Just remember that this Ref excluded the votes of Brits living in the EU and EU citizens living in the UK. It does not come even close to the definition of being inclusively democratic.

The Ref had major influences from foreign agents placing xenophobic messages on social media.

Vote Leave organiser Cummings spent the 1990s in Moscow...as his "studies" involved politics, perhaps you can see why the current British Gov is compromised. Where did PM Johnson go on the evening of the last election day: a cocktail hosted by Medledev (former KGB boss for London).

This is exactly why the UK Gov has buried the Parliamentary investigation rather than publishing it Mueller style.

This cover up stinks : it's silence speaks volumes for the obvious problems that this has brought up.

I'm lucky that my kids have escaped this nightmare but I feel very sorry for those future generations who are going to have limited opportunities.

It is obvious that with the drip drip of deindustrialisation and the inevitable departure of the City, even England and Wales will realise that this is a huge mistake.

Norton today, Nissan tomorrow...
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:18 pm

Frogelan wrote:@Billwill
I'm not sure that a car forum is really the place for this type of debate.

Agree 100%..

..but then you spoil it by going on to engage in the debate... :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:13 pm

The few Yanks who are paying attention:
Attachments
giphy.gif and
(animated GIF)
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS