The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:02 am

When the UK exits, it will become a third country to the EU. If it exits without the WA there will be no transition and both sides will trade on WTO rules.
The MFN rules come into play on both sides regarding customs and trade. They are both bound by these.
I live in France, Brexit is rarely on the news other than to laugh at the actions of the UK Government.
Any losses in the EU will be offset with gains from business that would have gone to UK suppliers. If you check out the EUs own impact statements you will see this to be correct.
The reason why the UK trades so much with the EU is that it is 29 miles away and linked by a tunnel.
As you can appreciate the logistics with trading with Australia is very different.
But its not us that will suffer. I would be very surprised if anyone on lotuselan.net will suffer. In the vast majority it will be the very people that voted for Brexit that will suffer.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:04 am

Wow very political discussion going on here!

I've been reading the thread with interest and I see that there are people trying to change the minds of other people regarding the various merits or otherwise of the UK leaving vs staying in the EU.

What's the point of arguing this back and forth? Like it or not (and I do not!), we are leaving the EU. At least, if the current PM is true to his word...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:13 am

Terry, do you actually read what I write in my posts ?

terryp wrote:The reason why the UK trades so much with the EU is that it is 29 miles away and linked by a tunnel.
As you can appreciate the logistics with trading with Australia is very different.

I didn't question the reason why the UK trades so much with the EU, in fact quite the opposite. What I said regarding EU/UK trade was that, despite it being the easiest and simplest route to go, UK exports to the EU are declining and have been doing so for several years. We trade more with the RoW despite having to apply protectionist EU tariffs and post Oct 31st, we have the ability to change that.

terryp wrote:I live in France, Brexit is rarely on the news other than to laugh at the actions of the UK Government.

In which case I'm surprised you know what/why/how the UK population voted to leave and why we made such an awful mistake. I'm even more surprised that you care enough to post about it when it doesn't affect you in the slightest.

As for the latter comment, well, with friends like that why should we stay ? You'll be better off without us. Let's wait a couple of years, implement Brexit and then have this conversation again.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 am

JonB wrote:Wow very political discussion going on here!

I've been reading the thread with interest and I see that there are people trying to change the minds of other people regarding the various merits or otherwise of the UK leaving vs staying in the EU.

What's the point of arguing this back and forth? Like it or not (and I do not!), we are leaving the EU. At least, if the current PM is true to his word...

Jon, you are right, no-one is going to change their opinions based on an internet forum and despite how it appears, I'm not interested in trying to change anyone's views.

FWIW I changed my mind. In 1975 I voted along with the other 67% to stay in the EEC. This time after 40+ years of experience I voted with the 52% to leave the EU. Rather than claiming I'm just wrong, perhaps folks ought to consider why that is.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 am

UAB807F wrote:Terry, do you actually read what I write in my posts?

Yes I do, but do you read mine. To be fair mine are not my opinions they are the facts presented to the Select Committee by trade experts.
I realise you will never be convinced.

Unfortunately what no government person has ever said is that the choice the UK has is Trade v Sovereignty.
Although it probably now won't pan out that way as all what will happen is the UK will swap one more powerful trading partner with another, and scupper the NHS in the process together with a multitude of food safety standards, but you will see this as red tape, I will see it as toxic chicken.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcfurse » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:50 am

I do not doubt Ashcrofts poll for a second but if these polls are always correct then why did the Conservatives win in 2015 against the polls.
The answer is simple (and I would suggest entirely obvious). If you are asked what you are going to do by a pollster and you are someone who considers themselves to be in the centre ground you err on the side of caution. To simplify horribly and use "normal" political allegiances, if you are a fervent Labour supporter you say so and likewise if you are a fervent Conservative but if you are a swing voter and you have been told that the Conservatives are the "Nasty Party" then do you declare to the pollster?

In the Brexit debate nobody who considers themselves in the middle ground who thought that immigration was out of control was going to say so to a pollster. The topic was socially toxic.
The reality was that inward immigration had been hugely relaxed. Interestingly by Jack Straw and Labour who took the caps off immigration during the Blair/Brown years. Jack freely admits this. Add to this that the UK did not have any initial restrictions on the acceding EU countries and immigration soared.

For clarity I should state that I do not think immigration is bad. It has been of enormous benefit to the UK and frankly the USA was built entirely by immigrants but self evidently there are absolute limits and limits to how fast immigrants can be absorbed into a society because, unless they are absorbed/integrated, problems arise.
Richard Furse
Funemployed in N Wales
S3 DHC
S4 DHC
S4 FHC
S4/Sprint
340R
SID
14 "others"
rcfurse
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:06 pm

UAB807F wrote:Jon, you are right, no-one is going to change their opinions based on an internet forum...

It's a conversation for the pub I think. As long as it doesn't get too rowdy and we get kicked out by the landlord. :D

rcfurse wrote:If you are asked what you are going to do by a pollster and you are someone who considers themselves to be in the centre ground you err on the side of caution. To simplify horribly and use "normal" political allegiances, if you are a fervent Labour supporter you say so and likewise if you are a fervent Conservative but if you are a swing voter and you have been told that the Conservatives are the "Nasty Party" then do you declare to the pollster?

I tell him to mind his own darned business. :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 am

Best of luck to the UK. I have done business with UK companies for many years. Car restoration. With few exception I have experienced friendly, courteous and helpful service. I have no doubt the UK will prosper as an independent entity.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:49 pm

:shock:
Anyone remember me?

I'll be back in five years... or not. Light-handed Moderation has it's down-sides. Geoff.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:46 pm

I've been constructing a Facebook quiz on knowledge about the EU.

It says you can post the link on other websites too, so I'm going to give it a go here too.

It is anonymous. Click the link to answer the quiz

How much do you know about EU Government?
https://qz.app.do/intial-test-quiz

Hmm It's not quite right, I can't seem to remove the effect of two dummy questions I put in as first try, so it starts by thinking I have done 8% of the questions.

Your mileage may vary.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 pm

I got 11 out of 13 correct, I achieved this by answering true or false in rotation whilst consulting my daily newspaper that costs less than 80p

cb0da97f-4b5d-4cc6-bb55-95fbf9ee9096.png and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:16 pm

There's no winners or losers in this quiz, it is intended merely for self-education.

Alan, your novel approach, seems to have exposed an unexpected/unintended trait in my brain. :shock:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:03 pm

i hope we get at least 20% discount on parts once it's clear that the lb. sterling drops like we expect. sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:35 pm

el-saturn wrote:i hope we get at least 20% discount on parts once it's clear that the lb. sterling drops like we expect. sandy

In your dreams Sandy! ...... Send me some Chianti Classico and I will explain it to you.....Greece, Italy, basket cases of economy, France in turmoil, Germany in decline.... uk on the up..... Labour Party promising Gluhwein for everyone and free fibre broadband, I?m not making this up!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Blimy, I hadn?t realised we?d shackled ourselves to such a bunch of deadbeats. :shock: No wonder Boris wants to cut us loose to soar into the economic stratosphere. Maybe we should have a new public holiday every 1st Feb to mark f for freedom day.

Sandy - 20% off, ha ha ha!!! You?ll be paying through the nose when the pound doubles in value by March. And I?ll get free broadband so I?ll be able to spend the saving on Elan parts. :roll: :roll:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: