The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 pm

But Gareth, Mr AHM wants to destroy peace in Northern Island and put 1000's of car workers out of a job.
I'm only doing my bit

Hope all is well
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:01 pm

I read this in the Daily Express recently. Some of the big words were challenging, but I think I understood.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 pm

terryp wrote:The pressure on services due to population density has more to do with the Thatcher years when a considerable number of hospitals and doctors surgeries were closed. Its just coming back to bite them on the bum!

Thatcher ? the same one that left power in 1990 ?

:lol:

I concede. you've won.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:17 pm

UAB807F wrote:
terryp wrote:The pressure on services due to population density has more to do with the Thatcher years when a considerable number of hospitals and doctors surgeries were closed. Its just coming back to bite them on the bum!

I concede. you've won.

Thanks! :D

Still waiting though for you to come up with the hideous and horrible EU laws......
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 pm

terryp wrote:
UAB807F wrote:

I concede. you've won.

Thanks! :D

Still waiting though for you to come up with the hideous and horrible EU laws......

No mate, I've stopped playing the game. You've won, I just can't come close.

Incidentally, the guy you quoted, Richard North, I've met him. He assisted a campaign I was involved with several years ago and was very helpful in preparing the case. He even came along to speak for us in the category of expert witness and IMO he stole the show, because despite the local politicians saying we had no hope, we actually won.

His ideas on Brexit were actually the best I've seen in the whole campaign and I was stunned when they weren't adopted. Very logical, very sensible and someone you can debate with.

Whilst you're looking at Richard, I suggest you page back through his blogs and see what he thinks about EU democracy.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:42 pm

It was Peter North I quoted.
I did watch a 2.5 hour treasury committee meeting with Richard North. He had a lot of ideas but maybe a bit ahead of his time, in the interim the country would come to a standstill.

Bonne Courage
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:00 pm

terryp wrote:But Gareth, Mr AHM wants to destroy peace in Northern Island and put 1000's of car workers out of a job.
I'm only doing my bit

That's a heavy burden to bear! I don't suppose that the EU will have any effect on peace in Northern Ireland it hasn't previously - You really aren't making credible statements here Terry.

It's the car workers who voted brexit, but according to you they aren't competent to vote on such complex matters. Do enlighten me why 1000s will be out of work?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:14 pm

terryp wrote:Still waiting though for you to come up with the hideous and horrible EU laws......

OK Terry,
Here's one to start the list :)

Not, perhaps that important on the surface, but a good example of how EU arrogance & inflexibility has the potential to be devastating to the ordinary man on the street. The ultimate cost then having to be picked up by the good old tax payer.

One of my other pass times is pleasure boating and the river network I keep my boat on is looked after by the Environment agency. In recent years the rivers have begun to silt up quite badly, restricting navigation. There have been repeated requests to the environment agency to dredge them, as they once used to do. However, since the passing of the European Water Framework Directive in 2000, dredging has been deemed to be an offence against the environment. They are now only allowed to dredge if the silting is causing a significant flood risk & the EU grants them permission, if no flood risk exists in the EU's eyes, they are encouraged to leave nature completely to it's own devices and allow the river to go back to it's original natural state. Given that much of the river network was man made, both for the purposes of navigation &, more significantly, drainage, it has no original natural state, there was no river, just a bloody great flood plain. If EU directives are followed, it will mean it will return to that state, putting thousands of people out of their homes. Bear in mind the area is several meters below sea level. This policy has already been widely blamed for the extensive flooding in Somerset in 2014 & around York last year. Will they never learn ?
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:25 pm

You cannot put up a border in NI. It's taken so many years to get it down, the last thing they want is a new border.
I'm not sure anyone has an answer to this one only to not put up a border!!

The petty regulation you talk about with the car industry is basically for continunity of product throughout the EU. So if a car is made in Spain it will have the same spec as a car made in Germany etc and being able to freely sell the car throughout the EU, the basics of the single market.
If the UK come out of the single market and ditch the petty regulations as you say, the only people it would be able to sell cars to are the British! (After they repeal the EU regulations!)
Most Japannise producers use the UK as a springboard into the EU. Most were bought here by Thatcher years ago and promised free continued access into the EU. If the UK loses that access the attractiveness of their base in the UK goes especially with cheaper labour in Eastern Europe. And the Japanise car makers are going to be a little p*ssed off, hence the recent document received from the Japanise government.
Take Nissan in Sunderland, they employ 8000 people but the knock on industry's throughout the UK amount to another 30000 or more. Add to them Toyota, Hitachi, then the scale of the problem becomes obvious.
If the EEA option is adopted then they really lose control. They then have no say in any petty regulations that are decided by the other member states but at least the car manufacturers would stay.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Terry,

The automotive industry will be just fine. Toyota are based in Belgium and France and a JV with Peugeot Citro?n in Czech. Renault Nissan is based in France.

Anyone wanting to sell cars has to build them to market spec. The EU is nothing special. The Koreans do it via their plant in India.

It'll make sod all difference!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Orsom Weels wrote:
terryp wrote:Still waiting though for you to come up with the hideous and horrible EU laws......

OK Terry, k

Here's one to start the list :)

Not, perhaps that important on the surface, but a good example of how EU arrogance & inflexibility has the potential to be devastating to the ordinary man on the street. The ultimate cost then having to be picked up by the good old tax payer.

One of my other pass times is pleasure boating and the river network I keep my boat on is looked after by the Environment agency. In recent years the rivers have begun to silt up quite badly, restricting navigation. There have been repeated requests to the environment agency to dredge them, as they once used to do. However, since the passing of the European Water Framework Directive in 2000, dredging has been deemed to be an offence against the environment. They are now only allowed to dredge if the silting is causing a significant flood risk & the EU grants them permission, if no flood risk exists in the EU's eyes, they are encouraged to leave nature completely to it's own devices and allow the river to go back to it's original natural state. Given that much of the river network was man made, both for the purposes of navigation &, more significantly, drainage, it has no original natural state, there was no river, just a bloody great flood plain. If EU directives are followed, it will mean it will return to that state, putting thousands of people out of their homes. Bear in mind the area is several meters below sea level. This policy has already been widely blamed for the extensive flooding in Somerset in 2014 & around York last year. Will they never learn ?

So nasty old EU trying to save the environment , well funny thing is , if you read the Daily Mail you get your story. If you read the Guardian you get a different story.....
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-farmers
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:47 pm

AHM wrote:Terry,

The automotive industry will be just fine. Toyota are based in Belgium and France and a JV with Peugeot Citro?n in Czech. Renault Nissan is based in France.

Anyone wanting to sell cars has to build them to market spec. The EU is nothing special. The Koreans do it via their plant in India.

It'll make sod all difference!

For the sake of Sunderland and similar car supported areas, I really do genuinely hope you are right.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:53 pm

From that link.

The concept of dredging to prevent extreme flooding is equivalent to trying to squeeze the volume of water held by a floodplain within the volume of water held in the river channel. Since the floodplain volume is usually many times larger than the channel volume, the concept becomes a major engineering project and a major environmental change."

Cobblers! Analagous to saying that the fuel pipe of an Elan must be the same volume as the petrol tank.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:10 pm

With reference to your previous post perhaps you will agree that a lot of what you wrote is not correct?

terryp wrote:For the sake of Sunderland and similar car supported areas, I really do genuinely hope you are right.

Nissan Sunderland is one of Europe's most efficient car plants.

Much of the UKs component industry has been moved out to Eastern Europe and Asia while protectionism and workers rights have meant that Germany and France have seen themselves alright.

The EU has not been good for UK manufacturing. Much of it is now just assembly of components made elsewhere in Europe to keep protected German or cheap Polish workers in jobs.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:34 pm

terryp wrote:So nasty old EU trying to save the environment , well funny thing is , if you read the Daily Mail you get your story. If you read the Guardian you get a different story.....
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-farmers

Sorry old bean, I don't read either of those erstwhile publications, in fact, the only paper I ever look at is a local free one that gets shoved through my door once a week. The factual information I quoted came from a guy called Andy Hubble, the EA's river inspector for our (my) network.
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: