European madness regarding "Historic Vehicles"

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:52 am

This article popped up on the MGCC V8 Register web site yesterday http://www.v8register.net/sub/news160302LEZ.htm
So beware if you have fitted electric motors on your headlight pods, or have put in some extra fuses to prevent a car fire, or have upgraded the brakes for safety's sake, or fitted better seat belts. As for those who have used other engines - you might as well scrap your car now.
And I certainly hope you don't intend to drive the thing. Heaven forfend! :mrgreen:

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Another good reason to quit the EU. :)

But I think we discussed this issue last year.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:24 am

I have this document signed by all 28 member states of the eu,stating that I have secured reform for the most important issues the British people want. I think that's what we are going to vote for? so we should be ok that it won't happen

D C pm
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 am

The phrase "peace for our time" was spoken on 30 September 1938 by British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in his speech concerning the Munich Agreement and the Anglo-German Declaration.....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:09 pm

You're lucky.....US citizens no longer even get to know whats in our trade agreements!

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:41 am

The FIVA position has been debunked as total nonsense in discussions between DVLA & FBHVC, & in any case who does FIVA represent?

The EU legislation is basically intended to ensure vehicle safety, but the UK is able to - & has - determine its' own definition of "Historic Vehicles", & there is no proposal by DVLA to change this.

All that has changed fundamentally is that DVLA want to tighten up the way in which "Historic Vehicle status" is to be confirmed by the Clubs who are formally recognised as being able to do this. Unfortunately one particular Club has been bending the existing rules, by allowing cars - very valuable cars of course - to be recreated utilising a series of factory chassis numbers that do exist on paper, but were in fact never originally used by the manufacturer i.e. the cars never in fact ever existed.

Cars in the UK - of an appropriate age & provenance - enjoy a "Historic Vehicle position" that is more favourable than in many other EU countries, because the EU legislation is effectively voluntary. However, even in the countries that have adopted the legislation, there are mechanisms that make it possible to modify a vehicle & still have it road legal. I have very recently assisted an owners' club member in Italy in obtaining official approval to run his car with wheels that are larger than were used when originally manufactured, & other modifications.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:46 am

Sounds like a bunch of wankers to me!
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Well...can't argue with that :lol:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:25 pm

A pal who moved to southern France with an MGB V8 conversion can't get the authorities to register the car as it is "modified". The sticking point seems to be that he bought a new Heritage bodyshell, so they are saying it is no longer an historic car so must be treated as a new car, and of course there is no type approval for such a vehicle. It wasn't a problem in the UK.

Ceejay, you are spot on mate! :mrgreen:

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Tell him to wait a bit and try again .....why does he have to mention the shell?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:30 pm

why does he have to mention the shell?

Heritage shells have a unique VIN which is clearly available for inspection under the bonnet at annual test time. This VIN puts the build date of the car firmly into the late 1990s. That's the sticking point.
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 pm

I agree with Terry, wait a bit and try again. If the VIN is clearly visible disguise it with something? :D Rivet a spurious plate over it? :D
Cheers Lyn..
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Or the original cars plate!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:59 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:10 am

Sorted!

Its not as if you are cloning a car, doing anything incorrect, its just that the french system does not recognise things like this so you have to adjust so it does........

A few years ago there was a rule that suddenly came in about chassis numbers having to be "originally" stamped on the actual chassis. I would imagine the sale of letter / number stamps went up!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: