International car shipping

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Salut

I'm thinking of buying a car in Dubai but of course it has to be shipped.

Does anyone have experience or advice on shipping cars, please ?

I live in France, which charges 10% customs duty on the car plus transport costs, then 20% VAT on that total :(

I saw on a website that blighty charges just ?50 customs duty as the car was made in Europe, then of course 20% VAT. Does one actually need to live in the UK to have a car shipped there ? My mum lives in Bristol - is that enough ? Would the car need to be registered in GB before being taken to France ?

Any advice or funny/depressing anecdotes welcome.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:00 pm

How many camels does the seller want for the car? Did it lose it's last traffic light race? These things are important, you don't want to buy a car that looks too cheap in camels or one that lost it's last race from the traffic lights.

Your status in the souks will be lost if you are found to have been the buyer of a poor Lotus, dare one say a pig in a poke!

Is it left hand drive? You must never touch a car with your left hand, are the seats made from vinyl derived from pig meat? Oh boy are you going to be in trouble!

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Serious reply,

If you import into the UK using your parents as the buyer/importer, you would then need to register the car in the UK Before exporting to the EU, I don't think you can short cut your own regional import rules as this is a vehicle rather than a consumable commodity.

Might be wrong, but I doubt it's possible for a short cut. Can you get it exported to a French colony with easier rules then back to La Belle France ?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:32 pm

I've imported three cars from overseas, PM me if you need a shipping company. :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: