F.N.G., first post l. time lurker, twin cam to 5-speed ??'s

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:42 am

snowyelan wrote:Not sure about whether the states had it but we here in the great white north also had a ford thunderbird with the 2.3 turbo, late 80's. If the merkur lead doesn't pan out then maybe add the thunderbird. Not positive about the transmission, but the murkur I owned way back did have reverse on a dogleg or something different than the typical below 5th position....

Oh wow, forgot about those (blocked them out?), we had them here too... Unsure if they came with sticks, but I do remember them now. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Cris
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:05 am

Can a bell housing for a tremec t5 be found?

Should be easy to find one of those or even but a new one..
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vic » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 am

Cris, so you got an engine from your Dentist (Ellis)....In the U.S. there weren't any direct bolt-in 5 speeds to match a Kent block. It may be possible to use a bellhousing from a Pinto/Capri 2.0 and then bolt up a type 9 (XR4Ti) to that (someone speak up if they know if this works or not). Quad4rods.com (in Denver) makes bell housings to adapt Zetec's to type 9 or to Borg Warner T5's.

Vic
Vic
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:35 am

CrisinColorado wrote:
SimonH wrote:Wasn't the Merkur XR4Ti basically a Sierra?

That may be a (slightly) easier route to a T9 box (if they you can find one) and then just get a bell housing if the engine bolt pattern isn't the same?

Good point Simon, I was thinking the same thing. Which just lead me to these folks who have this one for sale in Chicago....

http://merkurmidwest.com/catalog/i771.html

Here in the states the Merkur's went with the (turbo?) 2.3 motor, don't know if that's the same bolt pattern or not. Will research more tomorrow.

stealthy edit/// What length input shaft should I be seeking, I've read that three types are available. I'm guessing I want/need the shortest, the 7.25 incher. Is this a good assumption.? Will the bell housing from my single rail ally tail fit this box.?

Thanks again for all the help.!
Cheers,
Cris

That box is minus the bell housing, but you are on the right track, I can't remember if you said you have the 4 speed box, but you can take the bellhousing off that and bolt it straight onto the T9. Simples!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:16 am

mbell wrote:Can a bell housing for a tremec t5 be found?

Should be easy to find one of those or even but a new one..

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/pinto-or-c ... using.html

I just bought one. Obviously some mods will be need for a clutch. The transmission bearing retainer needs
to be non world class, ie, slightly smaller diameter where it bolts to the trans. I had a steel one turned
down by a local machinist.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Vic wrote:Cris, so you got an engine from your Dentist (Ellis)....In the U.S. there weren't any direct bolt-in 5 speeds to match a Kent block. It may be possible to use a bellhousing from a Pinto/Capri 2.0 and then bolt up a type 9 (XR4Ti) to that (someone speak up if they know if this works or not). Quad4rods.com (in Denver) makes bell housings to adapt Zetec's to type 9 or to Borg Warner T5's.

Vic

Yep, from his estate for selling the 23. He was a lot more to me than just my dentist. I sure miss the little guy.!
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Spyder fan wrote:
CrisinColorado wrote:
SimonH wrote:
That box is minus the bell housing, but you are on the right track, I can't remember if you said you have the 4 speed box, but you can take the bellhousing off that and bolt it straight onto the T9. Simples!

Yeah, I've got the 4speed w/bellhousing. If it's that easy than I'm in like Flynn. Are T9's hydraulic or cable operated.? I'd like to go hydraulic if possible. Someone else mentions the T5, that's what's in the fox bodied Mustangs correct.? Those should be a dime a dozen (well close anyway), worried about the size/girth of those, pretty teenie on the inside of the Husky... I believe I've got a T5 5speed in my V8 powered Volvo (Converse Engineering swap). I know those are cable operated out of the box, but there are kits to make them completly hydraulic as well (but they aren't free)..

Cheers,
Cris
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:18 pm

CrisinColorado wrote:Yeah, I've got the 4speed w/bellhousing. If it's that easy than I'm in like Flynn. Are T9's hydraulic or cable operated.? I'd like to go hydraulic if possible. Someone else mentions the T5, that's what's in the fox bodied Mustangs correct.? Those should be a dime a dozen (well close anyway), worried about the size/girth of those, pretty teenie on the inside of the Husky... I believe I've got a T5 5speed in my V8 powered Volvo (Converse Engineering swap). I know those are cable operated out of the box, but there are kits to make them completly hydraulic as well (but they aren't free)..

Cheers,
Cris

The T9 I fitted was cable operated, not a problem as the 4cog it replaced was cable.

I find cable easy a long lasting. I wonder if taking a the master cylinder off and rigging a swivel linkage to go to cable would be a better plan?

I might not be appealing for Elan owners who wish to stay as original as possible, but it could be a better engineering solution.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:42 pm

oldchieft wrote:
CrisinColorado wrote:Yeah, I've got the 4speed w/bellhousing. If it's that easy than I'm in like Flynn. Are T9's hydraulic or cable operated.? I'd like to go hydraulic if possible. Someone else mentions the T5, that's what's in the fox bodied Mustangs correct.? Those should be a dime a dozen (well close anyway), worried about the size/girth of those, pretty teenie on the inside of the Husky... I believe I've got a T5 5speed in my V8 powered Volvo (Converse Engineering swap). I know those are cable operated out of the box, but there are kits to make them completly hydraulic as well (but they aren't free)..

Cheers,
Cris

The T9 I fitted was cable operated, not a problem as the 4cog it replaced was cable.

I find cable easy a long lasting. I wonder if taking a the master cylinder off and rigging a swivel linkage to go to cable would be a better plan?

I might not be appealing for Elan owners who wish to stay as original as possible, but it could be a better engineering solution.

Jon the Chief

Howdy Jon, thanks for the reply. If all else fails that will be the plan. Need to make sure I can keep the excellent old & cool looking pedals that the Husky has.
I'm anti cable on my Volvo because I hated jacking it up and crawling around underneath to adjust the throw & play. Not easy for a old fart of my ummm, girth.

Could you tell me how long the input shaft was on the T9 you used.?

Cheers,
Cris
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Can't remember but this site might help.

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/scimiwiki/ ... e_9_v2.pdf

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

oldchieft wrote:Can't remember but this site might help.

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/scimiwiki/ ... e_9_v2.pdf

Jon the Chief

Thanks Jon, I'll read this in more detail but I think I just got an erection when I saw the six speed sequential by Quaife :lol:
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi folks, it's been a while since I posted up this topic & thought I should supply an update. The twink fits in the engine bay. (!!!) Bought a couple universal mounts for both the engine as well as the tranny from across the pond to ease the fab work with the shop I'm using.

I've ended up using the 4-speed out of the U2 to save some $'s & time as I couldn't get or find the answers needed (correct shaft length etc.). Gearshift comes up in a spot a little closer to the dash than the Alpine unit in the car did, might need to buy or fab up a longer handle with a dog leg or two built into it to get it back towards me some more.. Does anyone sell gearshift's out there for the cortina fourspeed.?

Will do a 5 speed swap down the road, maybe a year or two down the road but it'll happen but I can't see this car being a 'long distance tourer' with the fuel type that will be required (race gas~).

I took a few pictures of the engine stabbed in place with the mounts just tacked in etc. & will post them up tomorrow or the day after. Looks like the only areas of concern is I might end up having to mount the dry sump tank in the boot/trunk area & will need to have a carb box cut into the right side inner fender area to allow for clearence & a box made after the hole's cut as it's too tight for one velocity stack, let alone a filter.

Cheers, hope everyone's well.

Cris

ps. to Vic, did you get my email about E' & your Elans from when this thread was 'fresh'.?
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: CrisinColorado » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Howdy, been too long since I've posted. Thought I'd provide a few photos to show how the twin-cam fits in the engine bay. Like A Glove~

Looking for advice on what diameter pipe to use from the header collector back to the rear of the car. Don't want to choke it too much with back pressure. The crusty Elan header we had bought on e-Bay a few years ago had to be cut up & turned some to make it fit the confines of the engine bay-frame rail & steering.

Hope you like the shots.

Cheers,

Cris
Attachments
filter-modifications-curved-v-stacks.jpg and
Here's the business end of the Alfa velocity stacks & the beginning of the modifications to the filter bases to allow them to fit in the engine bay.
filter-modifications-curved-v-stacks-backside.jpg and
Here's some 90 Alfa velocity stacks modded to mount to some filters. We're on a dirt road so filtration was a must.
huskycarb-interference.jpg and
Here's the interference we ran into with the carbs and the inner fender.
twincam-in-place-cropped-to-500.jpg and
Sure looks like it belongs no.?
twincam-in-place-sidevew.jpg and
Sideview. Dry-sump tank went into the boot. No room up front. We're looking for a picnic basket (or 3) to cut up & somewhat hide the way too new & shiny Peterson tank.
CrisinColorado
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: