Dart Charge & London Congestion Charge

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Has anybody with an Elan with the original numbers in grill registration used the Dartford Tunnel or Bridge on the M25 recently?

I ask because I have all 3 of my cars registered to use the crossing for automatic payment using the ANPR cameras that are installed now. My modern VW Golf has been across 4 times this month and been picked up correctly each time but my +2 hasn't been charged for using the tunnel yesterday.

I have always assumed that the numbers in grill especially on a +2 would be hard for ANPR cameras to pick up, but have not had the chance to test the theory until now. I have a friend who lives in Thurrock who used his Elan to go into the London congestion charge zone last year, he took a chance on whether his plate would be picked up and didn't pay, nothing came in the post and I believe he has done it a couple more times.

Interested to know if anyone else has been through the tolls and is registered for automatic payment?

Of course my conscience will now be tested :shock:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 pm

All your cars are modern Alan :wink: :lol:
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Quite so!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks for the considered and well thought out replies chaps! :lol:

Do you think I should query this with Her Majesty's collectors of tolls and tariffs? Or perhaps wait and see if the human operator who checks non recognised numbers manages to decipher the image?

I don't wish to evade the charge; at the moment I'm registered with upfront credit in my Dart Charge account, if the cameras fail to pick me up is it wrong of me to see this as an unexpected bonus?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:44 pm

And welcome to the moral maze,is it keeping you awake at night Alan :wink: Mind you when it was built they said it would be free when it was paid for,lied to again :roll:Mind you Alan, tax free car and now toll free it makes the cars even more easy to justify :)
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 pm

I registered my Elan +2 with congestion autopay, I've never been charged for driving in the congestion charge zone.
1968 Lotus Elan +2 (Saturn Silver / Black)
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 pm

The ANPR cameras do struggle (i.e. totally fail) with the Elans plates as far as my experience goes. Though I suspect only at the front and not at the rear.

Why not give the money to a worthy cause of your choice!
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:59 am

A while ago someone supposedly " in the know " stated thet overhead cameras can't detect Elans number plates,ending with "don't ask me how I know".....I asked how he knew and got no reply...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Apx » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:35 am

Most ANPR systems work on a digital image looking for sequences of numbers and letters and running through a database, some have an infrared capability to enhance this. The failing for the front number plate is the common position of the cameras, up high and to left and right. this is to prevent splash, road dirt and vandalism to name a few. This would mean that our cars front is rendered unreadable. Other areas, especially security areas have already got around this and will read correctly. I first used ANPR systems in the 1990s and they have come a long way since.
IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED
SOMETHING.
Apx
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:48 am

I have been reversing into the congestion charge zone to ensure I pay.

Although I think my system might be causing more congestion than my 10 GBp eleaveates - especially considering how long my 3 point turns are taking!
1968 Lotus Elan +2 (Saturn Silver / Black)
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:40 am

Nice... :lol:

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Update,
I checked my account yesterday and there was no charge for the +2, but just checked 5 minutes ago and it's now showing as charged.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Ok obviously someone on the forum works in Dartford Alan :shock:
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: