Price on request?

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Why don't dealers show prices these days in some car ads?

Is it because..

1. They are embarrassed to admit how much they are charging?
2. They don't want other dealers to know their selling prices?
3. The feel that if you have to ask you can't afford to buy?
4. They have a 'look' at the potential buyer and then decide on how much to ask?

:D
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:43 pm

To get anyone that is Potently Interested in the car to talk to them, if they know your interested or least interested enough to ask the price that's half the battle won for them. (i worked for a main dealers and the sales men where always trying to think up ways of separating the genuinely interested people from the dreamers that waste there time)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Whatever it is it?s not to your advantage.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:48 pm

When ever I enquired the price was always more than I could afford and often more than it's worth. So I don't bother anymore.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm

If they can not be bothered to put the price on then I can not be bothered to enquire. Then to hear the garbage they come out with. In any field it is so easy to look good with a little effort because most can not be bothered.
just my thoughts
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Thing is its not always the price, its often the Mileage or details are left off and some thing like Please contact for further details etc is put on.

Personally i don't care, if i want to buy a specific car i will have read up about the make and model i want, know what the going rate is and won't be pressured into anything rash. I'll ring and talk to the guy to check out if there a dealer trying to get an edge or private guy who can't price his car. After all most adverts are not accurate anyway and how you going to buy a car without talking to the guy selling it? if your just checking out prices next to yours its annoying (I get that) but if you are genuinely buying you may have called about six already and it might not have a price on because the guy can't decide what its worth??

When it comes down to it all depends do you Seriously want to buy the car he has or not?? if your serious a call to find out isn't going to put you out and you might have more questions about the car like "can i come to see it" and with all these people saying "If he's not bothered to put a price" etc makes you wonder if you could negotiate a better price if he hasn't had many calls?? plus if its a dealer he may have a time scale he wants the car gone so will drop the price the closer he gets where if its an add in a magazine etc he is fixed at a price.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

I think I would be more inclined to call a dealer if I knew I could afford the car? It saves the embarrassment of calling and then realising the car is too expensive. Given Elans seem to sell anywhere between between ?15k and ?75k it would be useful to get an idea before phoning. Perhaps dealers should use a code like restaurants, ?, ??, ??? etc?

As values increase more and more dealers, who used to be happy to advertise prices seem to resort to POA?
Some dealers even seem to like a mixture, some cars with a price and some without? It's sort of saying, "we are happy to sell cheap cars to anybody but if you need to ask the price on our higher end cars you can't afford one". I wonder if garages will ever stop giving quotes or labour rates on the basis that if you have to ask you should go somewhere else.. or perhaps we could just use sealed bids for buying everyting :)

Or am I just being cynical, I have an Elan anyway so am a happy owner! :D :D

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:39 pm

It's a sales gimmick as old as dirt...............
You are required to call them, therefore they are in a lead position, the buyer, the second position.

The buyer will be made to look small if he cannot afford the item. But then the seller can direct them to a more affordable product making the buyer feel better about themselves.

Just like on this site. I see parts for sale stating "make offer". Just another gimmick to control things.

I had a small business, we sold POR15 paint. For a period of time we provided price sheets when we did car shows. This went on for several months. We stopped providing the price sheets. We then placed a single price sheet on a clipboard. When people would walk up to the table they would ask the price of certain can of paint. I then would lift the clipboard and look at the sheet and announce the price for that can of paint.
My sales when up 33% after that............why? ............the sheet on the clipboard was telling the customer what the price was...............sheet and clipboard were in first position............the buyer........second position.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:01 pm

Explains it all ... :D
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 am

"POA" ?
I've come to assume it means " p*ss off 'Arry".

And it does, slightly, p*ss me off.
If you're selling something, tell me the price.

Wonder what would happen if, in the interests of consumer knowledge, all the car mags got together and said, " no price, no ad".
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:34 am

There are other forums on I'm on that won't allow an ad to be posted without a price.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:16 pm

I must admit liking to know up front what price is being asked for a product or item, if I see P.O.A in an advert I'm most likely to ignore it and read on to the next item. This is because from experience the asking price will be far above my expectations even for a product or item that I am familiar with the market place. As stated by Cal44 it makes it a sellers market rather than a buyers market. And I know which one of those 2 I prefer.

There are a number of other terms used by sellers that get me a little annoyed, mostly these are used by private sellers or estate agents

No timewasters AKA No test pilots or No dreamers or No tyre kickers
Re-Advertised due to Time Waster
Offers in the region of
Offers above
Price range from ?----- to ?-----
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:34 pm

I made enquiries about a pretty '69 +2 being sold in the midlands.

Asked the dealer simple stuff. Relevant numbers, mileage, history etc.

I was informed that it was being sold on commission and was given the owners number to contact. Which makes me wonder why the owner didn't simply advertise it himself?

Anyway asked the owner to email me a bit of history. Apparently he is a one finger typist and could not possible chose what to include. Bent my ear stating how wonderful it was.

Back to the dealer and asked for a simple chassis number.

I refer you to the third sentence !!!

Perhaps I shall not bother.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:00 pm

I restore vintage electric pianos, they're just electric pianos, but this particular business is very good at making customers think they are buying some kind of magical unicorn:

http://www.vintagevibe.com/shop/1976-rh ... ase-piano/

"price not announced" ..

"announced"? bloody hell.

they also re sell things like contact adhesive re branded as special electric piano glue that is the only glue that should be used and is only available from them. ITS CONTACT ADHESIVE>>AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE!!!

I hate them but hey make lots more money than me from it.

At least my customers go away happy.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: